DxO Elite will not recognise folders in portable SSDs plugged into my M1 MacBook Pro

I have 3 Crucial portable 4TB SSDs (2 X6 models and 1 X8 model.) I have tried indexing these SSDs and succeeded in indexing one of the X6 4TB versions with DxO Prolab 7. However, the remaining 2 SSDs do not reveal any folders to drill down through to index them. It simply brings up a dialog box stating “This folder does not contain any images”.

Any one got any ideas? Do I need to set the Formatting of the SSD’s in any special way?

nope, what you need is something else to browse your folders. try a software that’s made for that, like fast raw viewer, photo mechanic or adobe bridge and if you need some of those to be edited you can send them to PL for processing. based on people complaint in this forum, browsing speed from PL is slow with the feeling we’re back in the 90’s =]

To clarify here: PL is not simply “browsing” your image folders (like the other apps you listed do) - It’s actually processing each image individually (according to your previously applied corrections - or according to the preset prescribed for newly-encountered images) - That’s why it’s slow.

And, that’s why PL is not recommended for casual browsing of your image files, nor for reviewing/culling images - For this purpose, you’re better off using a fast image browser (such as Irfan, Fast RAW Viewer, etc)

1 Like

I’ve only recently changed over as I was a longstanding happy Aperture user and had to move to M1 as my previous MBP dated to 2017 and MacPro was 2009. Browsing isn’t a particular problem on the internal drives or the external crucial drive that I can browse through (though I don’t like the fact you have to drill down to folders and can only select images from that folder to edit

I’ve found a couple of FAQ answers that suggest reformatting the drives may help so I’m going to give it a go.Luckily I got this under the Black Friday offer and also have Capture 1, Affinity 2, AfterShot Pro, Luminar, Picktorial and Pixelmator which I’ve picked up over the years.

PL had some interesting functions which made me go for it but the frustrating thing is the failure to index 2 drives one of which has many historic images on it. Would any of the above be any use as Photomechanic is a paid for and I don’t want to go near Adobe.

I’m sure you have tried this already, but were the drives connected to the computer before you started Photolab?

I’ve previously connected drives to my Mac after starting Photolab, and then found performance to be below par when I navigate to them.

How many files in the root directory of the external drives?

I have tried both routes with no success. and wonder if it’s because the errant drives were formatted on my old Intel machine. I’ve managed to set the drives up so that I can reformat them on the M1 MacBook without losing data by shuffling it around and I can wipe one drive safely… Interestingly I have two SATA RAIDs set up (one mirrored, the other RAID 5) which were formatted by the MacBook Pro and can see all the enclosed folders in the RAIDs.

In answer to Joanna’s question the image files are all contained in folders within folders at root level.

Have you given PL permissions to access to the drives in macOS ?

Yes I’ve authorised full disk access. I have no issue with connecting up other drives on my Mac Studio and finding folders and drilling down to the image I’m wanting to work on.

I see. Thank you for the info.

What if you copy one of the raw photos to your desktop?
Right click on it and choose to open it with PL. does it open and display it correctly?