Downside to always using Deep Prime XD

If I accept the increased processing time, is there a reason to not always use Deep Prime XD? If there is a reason not, is the choice of algorithm just cut and try?

The general advice is to use DeepPrime all the time and only use XD when really necessary.

2 Likes

DeepPRIME XD strives for extra detail. As a result of this, it sometimes brings out areas of pure noise as unwanted “textures”. This can often be addressed by adjusting the Noise Model slider (I usually start with -30, then increments of -15 from there), but is usually only worth the effort for very tight crops with fine details.

2 Likes

Why is that ? Just processing time or some other reason to not use XD?

Read the reply from @zkarj

1 Like

Some users among my fellow photographers (and me for one) have noticed that XD can sometimes generate unwanted artifacts, especially on faces but not only.

So, to confirm what has ben said above, use the technology that is needed for your image and refrain from using DeepPrime or DeepPrime XD if not necessary. When using XD, take time to review the most noisy areas of your image and check whether artifacts have been generated. Use the available settings to make them disappear. If they don’t, fall back to DeepPrime and check again.

If you are using DPL, you can fine tune the denoising process by using the settings available for each technology. With DxO PureRAW, you can’t.

2 Likes