Does DxO sharpen noise?

Caches could avoid time needed for those 2 last steps too (no need to develop again and again when no change in settings occur).

1 Like

Since that posting, I decided to just jump in head first and have purchased PhotoLab 6. So their helpful information has immediate application.

2 Likes

Full development in deepprimexd costed on my test about 5min…
I7 of 2011…:smirk: :grimacing:
In order to have full image view with DP denoise done that is the case for my pc.
5 min delay and rather slow occupied pc.
A bigger newer graphiccard and faster cpu would reduce this to say 1-2minutes?
Normal DeepPrime is much faster.

@bobrocke i looked at your gear m43 oly…
You wil be astonished by the extra sharpnes of the lens module in combination of DeepPrime.
My old g80 can have nice images at 3200iso and acceptable image at 6400iso.

My advise is to grab some known rawfiles of troublesome kind.
High iso, high dynamic. High detail and tare those appart with the tools.
Overshoot until you see what breaks up in pieces.
Overcook in color, in denoise, in exposure correction.contrast.
Some tools are not what you will expect so don’t be afraid to ask why you can’t get result. Lots of people can send dopfiles over or explain how to get more out of a tool.

Enjoy DxOPL. Did you got Filmpack elite also?

1 Like

No, not yet. I’m thinking about adding that and ViewPoint later this year when they might go on sale.

1 Like

Now, if you have PhotoLab 6 Elite, you should really dig into its features, capabilities and shortcomings before you test FilmPack and ViewPoint. Customize your workspace, create full and partial presets and see how you get along.

1 Like

I do have the Elite version and so far I’m getting along pretty well re-editing some photos I’d processed in Lightroom.

My main ‘gripe’ at this point is the lack of metadata presets.

Add your vote here: Metadata Presets

It is worth noting here that you can still use Lightroom for your metadata needs. That’s what I do. And though I do currently pay for a Lightroom/Photoshop subscription, I used it for a couple of years without paying a cent. The Library module of Lightroom Classic is fully functional without an active subscription plan (though you do still need your Adobe account).

For me, nothing else has come close to Lightroom’s keyword handling, so that is why I still use it. It does create a little bit of extra work, but with a little care (and a little automation if you’re game) it can be quite usable.

2 Likes

I fully agree with this statement, and I still use my LR 6.14 local at Win11.
Unfortunately, the version no longer works on my MB Air M1, but I can get over that, since WIN 11 is my productive system.

I wonder if I will ever switch to another DAM like iMatch…?

best regards

1 Like

That’s possible, of course. But, I may be in the minority of wanting a single solution. The advantages of a common interface, full integration, and single point of responsibility are important to me.

I’m even happy with PhotoLab’s keywording interface. But I would like to filter for keywords from the keyword pane instead of the search box.

Most things come with a price tag…and search is the one you pay for the monoservice approach. PhotoLab search is fairly restrictive and in combination with the occasional false positives, annoying. But if you a) keep all sidecars (.dop and .xmp) and trash the database every now and then, DPL gets usable somehow.

1 Like

I suspect that the keywords wrote in a XMP made by PL much less surprices delivers.
My grip is more the user interface of the tagging.
It’s too rudimentair imho.
(nice for one or two changes but not for tagging a folder containing 100 plus images.)
Or it’s just me.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I completely understand, because I used to be that way, too. Certainly, if I could use a single tool I would, but today I regularly use three tools, each for their strengths. Is it more annoying than just using one? Sure. But for the annoyance, I get better results in the areas I care about. Not everyone is willing to make that trade-off.

1 Like

If I’m going to be happy with PhotoLab, at least in the short term, I will need to find a front-end application that can offer metadata presets. Photo Mechanic seems like overkill and other programs I’ve looked into off photo editing, which is extra baggage.

What application do you use, or would you suggest?

You didn’t ask me but i use this its free if you have a account by adobe.

I am dabbling with that now. It looks as if PhotoLab won’t notice the changes to metadata until I tell it to read metadata from the file. This is even though I have the preference to keep XMP data synced on.

Perhaps it will work at least until DxO adds metadata presets to PhotoLab (I’m sure hoping in v7).

It updates when you select the image in the filmstrip of dxo.
I have often bridge and dxo open at the same time.
GPS from google is copy pastable in dxo but not in bridge. (type of writing i think.)
So that i manual push out.
Keywords i change in bridge.
IPTC i am changing in bridge because well bridge is in dutch wile dxo is in englisch.
It can be a surprise which field is filled in in bridge by dxo.
Colors and stars are from my culling app Fast Raw Viewer 2.0 which produces a xmp in adobe-style and those colortags are sins this year also supported by dxo.
So work flow is

Open folder in FRV, cull all bad one’s out. Give star-rating to usable images so i know which are first, second and last in row of keepers attention, use the collor tags as burst, bracket, groups tagging, so i know which are one of many almost the same or part of a sequence.(stacking)
Then tag and template iptc add some info if needed in the fields.
Open dxo find the new folder
Start editing with help from the by FRV color and stars filled in info.
If i make a virtual copy other then a tryout of something (which i often delete when done.) i use bridge iptc field editor to write in the why and how for vc1,2,3,… So i understand the reason of the vc’s later.
Exporting a tiff for NIC’s (old free version) i let it return in the same folder and give t a suffix from where it came. And add the filternames in the xmp or propertie section.

This way i keep a steady dam structure.
If dxo dam would be as bridge is evolved i can cut out step bridge.

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

I use Lightroom Classic — which you can do for free if you only use the Library module.

That is exactly the idea I stumbled upon trying to figure a way around not having metadata presets in PhotoLab! I’ll try that for a while and maybe we’ll see those prests in v7.