DNG file that doesn't work in PhotoLab 7. Attached is a link

I used X-Transformer v3.1 with Fuji X-T3 RAF and DxO PL7.4 did open linear DNG … BUT read below :

The reason why DxO PL does not open linear DNG after X-Transformer is apparently when you ask X-Transformer to actually apply optics corrections ( other options are to ignore or to embed optics corrections as DNG tags - DxO PL of course will ignore that part )… so do you have a reason to prefer manufacturer’s optics corrections over DxO’s optical modules ( one reason might be that DxO does not read focusing distance hence [ for some lenses, not for every lens ] you get either not the best corrections in DxO or you have to spend time manually selecting focusing distances for each raw file - while optics correction data that Fuji cameras embed in RAF raw file already accounts for corrections needed for focusing distance used)

Take a look here:

scratch that ( my prev. post ) … I repeated the test and DxO PL does read both linear DNGs ( with optics corrections passed as tags and with optics corrections baked in) … so may be try to use v3.1 of X-Transformer ?

tested again on a different X-T3 RAF file - DxO PL 7.4 opens all linear DNGs after X-Transformer…

settings used :

vs

and identical

1 Like

It could be that the new version of the software supports Photolab. My files open in any software, but not in Photolab

you can download and trial X-Transformer v3.1 and PL v7.4 … or you can post screenshots of your settings in X-Transformer v2.x ( like I did above for v3.1 ) - I can try to test that w/ v2.x and PL6 and PL7 after business hours … also may be share your original RAF file too to make it a cleaner experiment

The problem is that I deleted the original DNG in the belief that the file will work in any software

you mean you deleted the original RAF to keep a only a bigger and demosaicked DNG ?

I hope you are not doing this anymore then

2 Likes

The problem is that PL does not support DNG.
PhotoLab Supports with Caveats some DNG.

DXO are disingenuous, saying they “support DNG”. It is marketing hype. If they were honest they would be saying "PL supports SOME DNG with caveats see…

You don’t say! (c)

DxO disingenuous ?

Which DNG files are supported by DxO PhotoLab as input? – Help center

Nothing disingenuous about their support for DNG and I see no marketing hype. They are very clear and open about exactly what their DNG support includes on their support site. You just have to look. See the link below.

Mark

The DXO support for DNG is so clear and obvious there is a constant stream of people on here asking whey their DNG files are not opening…

Reality does not seem to agree with you @mwsilvers

1 Like

It is completely clear to anyone who has the eyes to see and can read. I even Googled PhotoLab DNG support and guess what the very first hit was. It very clearly lays out
DNG support. Perhaps this constant stream of people you speak of is an unfortunate indication of a lack of self reliance and the need to be hand fed. That is unfortunate.

You are funny… “It is completely clear to anyone who has the eyes to see and can read.” which explains the continual stream of posts on this forum (and other places) complaining about the lack of DNG support in DXO and people asking why their DNG image won’t open in DXO PL . If it were obvious, this wouldn’t be happening. Indeed this very thread would not be here.

There are a lot of threads here created by people who don’t take the effort to try to figure things out for themselves. Nothing surprising there. That is not to say that there aren’t real issues and sometimes DxO support is not particularly helpful, but this is not one of those times.

Mark

2 Likes

So it is the fault of the users… We get the message.
As many others have said. They won’t be upgrading their PL.
Not good business sense, especially with “ambassadors” like you attacking the customer base.

I am not blaming users for their inability to understand how to use the software. Using full featured software of any kind can be extremely complicated by it’s very nature. Many users are not self-starters and need lots of hand holding, tutorials, videos, etc. to help them understand how to use their software properly.

In this case DxO has documented the use of DNG files in PhotoLab. It is not their fault If some users don’t read the available documentation and make incorrect assumptions about the compatibility of DNG files with PhotoLab.

Mark

1 Like

However, in the marketing and advertising DXO say “DNG Support” the caveats are not exactly obvious. You keep making excuses.

I looked on the product pages on the main site and shop and did not find any mention of DNG. I did a web search and found the page that @mwsilvers had already shared.