Database update after a NAS crash

Hello,

I had a problem with my NAS, I recovered the files from it to a local HDD. I used to process the files from the NAS with location Z:\photos…

So after recover, I have changed the letter of my new HDD to Z, so I have my files in Z:\photos…, as before. But I can’t see raw processing of the files that were already processed. And if I change the letter to the NAS folder (crashed, I can still view files but all in read only), my raw changes still exists.

Is there a way to change the DxO database after location change ? (as it’s just a letter change, I was expecting to be automatic, but maybe it’s an absolulte path in the database)

Thanks for your help.

I see that db file can be read with SQL Lite.

As a software engineer, I’m able to change the tables content…

Is it possible to have some advice from DxO team to update the required data ? As the files were in a network drive, I think I need to change it to local, but I don’t want to miss something…

Thanks :slight_smile:

Hello,

  • Yep, you are right it’s not only the letter. Let me ask @gcalheiros or @alex to assist you in this case.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

I managed to fix the issue.

If DxO wants to share in user guide, or someone has the same issue :slight_smile:

1/ Make a copy of PhotoLab.db
2/ Download a SQLLite client
3/ Identify the old an new top folder (for my case, I had two Z: folders)
4/ Run this update query with the rights ids (Id column): update Folders set parentFolderId = newId where parentFolderId = oldId
5/ Run this delete query: delete from Folders where id = oldId

And thanks DxO engineering to have put foreign keys in the table to handle cascade delete :wink:

Hello Alex,

It’s great that you fixed the issue. But it’s rather dangerous to put this way in the user guide as not all the users are software developers :wink:

I can leave this way for our Betas as they are mature enough and can work with the database deeper.

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

just a recommendation for the future: Let Photolab write .dop sidecar files!

Then a loss of your database doesn’t harm that much.

You can move around your images together with the sidecars and they will keep their settings.

I’m not fond of side car files as it’s multiplying files in folders, and it’s a pain to backup in amazondrive, I’m not sure it’s possible to filter files in folders.

I agree Svetlana maybe it’s a bad idea :blush: