Crossing the (time) streams

I thought I’d try something a little different (for me).

Here is a photo I took of modern Singapore in 2019. Based largely on the FilmPack preset Ilford Delta™ 3200, I have styled it as if taken (and printed) in the year I was born there.

Gimmicky? Sure. A good result? I think it’s decent.

The subject gave me the idea, but the original also has brilliant oranges in the sky and I wanted to challenge myself to ignore them.

(A 9-shot panorama taken at the same time unapologetically embraces the oranges in a 1 metre wide metal print on my wall!)

2 Likes

I’m curious as to what your original photo looked like, before processing in FilmPack. I know nothing about Ilford Deta 3200. When I was young, all I used was Kodak b&w, processed at home. Your goal was to show what a similar photo taken the year you were born would look like, I think you achieved that goal. As a kid, I couldn’t afford color film and printing.

Not so much “original” but how I might present a colour version…

The oranges in this particular frame are not as vivid as I was remembering. Other frames a bit later on were much richer.

The choice of Ilford Delta™ 3200 was based on the FilmPack Time Machine — it is one of the suggestions based on the year 1969.

My whole experience of black and white is my Dad’s photos, of which there were many. He did used to develop his own for a while (I remember seeing paraphernalia in the basement) but I do not recall him actually doing it and certainly not by the time I started getting interested in photography.

Random personal thoughts… which don’t mean anything.

• I like your color sky more than the b&w version.
  • The empty space at the right is better in the b&w version
  • I like the b&w buildings more than with color
  • Which film matches which year is lost on me. I got in the habit of buying 50 foot rolls of Kodak Plus-X and reloading my Contax, then Nikon, film cassettes.
  • When I crop off the right side of the color version, I like that the best.

Reloadable film cassettes that opened when you replaced the camera back or bottom, so the film would not get scratched in the camera. Available for Contax, Nikon, and I think Leica

How I would crop your image:

My eyes are drawn to the well-lit structure at the bottom.

I’m curious what your one meter wide “metal print” looks like?

Curious - was this due to your exposure settings, or was the sky gradually becoming more/less intense, as it got closer to sunset? I think “the sky” is the reason I prefer your color version.

Very nicely done, in my opinion.

The colour version was based on about 60 seconds work to remove the “film” processing and do a slight boost on all shadows. I agree that the darker sky on the right is better. If I was doing a full and proper treatment on the colour version there are some local adjustments I would perform.

It just got more intense.

1 Like

Now THIS is impressive!!!
Every place I look there is more and more “eye candy”!

I take it that is on Dibond, or similar? I tend to use 10mm Kappa self adhesive foam board.

What paper width?

Those are mounting techniques?

Yes. Dibond is an aluminium sandwich and foam board is, well, foam

The image can be printed direct to its surface or a print is put on it.

George

Yes, printed directly on Dibond, but not on foam board. I use the latter because it allows me to choose my preferred paper.

@zkarj
I was there 1976 - bought a lens in a stora and a “Tissot” watch at the “Thieves market”. I didn´t like it at all. These days both Malysia and Singapore had some peculiar rules concerning travellers.

In Malaysia there were signs saying something like this:

“If you are found sleeping in from time-to-time shelters or on the beaches you will be deemed to be a “hippie”. We will then stamp your passport with “Hippie” and you will have 24 hours to leave the country”. I have taken color slide pictures of these signs but they are still not digitized, but maybe it is time to do that!

In Singapore they had signs all over showing NOT acceptable haircuts. Hair on collar, over eye brows or whiskers were not allowed. So, when I came to the Malaysian - Singapore border I could not get in before I had a hair cut in the no man’s land between the check points. Conveniently enough there was an Indian barber shop that the border police pointed to. So, it was just to get in for a cut and while I was sitting there one of the policemen supervised the barber. :slight_smile:

Even Indonesia had similar policies (many travellers went to Bali or the “Lake Toba”-area on the island of Sumatra). An American I travelled with in Malaysia had to sacrifice his pony tail to get a visa to Indonesia. He tried first to hide it but the guy at the embassy just lifted it with his index finger, smiled and gave him the conditions for getting the visa. Even he had to visit a local barber shop to get his visa.

Singapore at that time had a very outspoken wish to be modern, clean and well organized but not even in India in the seventies I have seen so many really big fat rats around all these food stalls in exactly that area you have covered in this picture. … and close by at the “Thieves market” and by the river it was even worse. Still, it was heavy fines if you very found spitting chewing gums on the sidewalks or littering on general and that was a problem since they saw us in person as garbage.

I even had a little mouse living in my hotel room in the very hole of the Asean style hole in the floor toilet. First time I saw it was behind a sleeping bag in my bed and when he saw my he rushed into the toilet hole. You see there were no thresholds under the doors so the mice could come and go more or less as they pleased.

So, I went down to the reception and said that “my room is already occupied by a non paying rat guest”. The manager answered: “Of course the rat has to pay!”, and then he another "empty room instead.

Once I travelled all the way from Haydarpasa in Eastern Istanbul all the way to Nepal two ways. In eastern Turkey in Erzurum, we came to a hotel room full of bugs in the beds. We complained and asked him to change the bed sheets. He then turned the light off and on again and said “even the bugs go to sleep when you turn off the light”. End of that discussion.

… but sometimes it doesn´t even help changing the bed clothes. Some years earlier in 1972 I passed Afghanistan for the first time in my life and came to Park Hotel in Kabul who already then had seen it´s best days. The handrail in the stairwell had fallen down to the first storey - so I had to keep close to the outer wall to feel safe. When I saw the bed clothes that was really dirty, I asked for a new set which I got with a smile. The problem was just that they were as dirty as the first set. In fact, everything was dirty, so even plates in the cheap restaurants but that was really no problem because everybody at that time bought a piece of nan-bread and asked them to put the food on that instead and most people used to sleep on top of their sleeping bags instead on the sheets.

I could post some of my own adventures in Nepal, but I’ll wait until I can upload a few more of my images from my visits, so I have a good reason for doing so. Even in Australia, but I’ll get around to those later, as well. Thank you all for the reminders… I’d like to read more about the “Thieves Market” as well.

Here it is:

singapore thieves market - Sök Bilder (bing.com)

Thanks, yeah I quite enjoy seeing it on my wall every day. I have it positioned so it is in frame when I am on video calls.

A darker version of the image with a slightly wider crop (the printed version had to fit 40"x10") can be seen here:

Imgur
I brightened it up for the wall, but it is a little intense for screen viewing. I think I should replace the version above with a lighter one, though.

No idea. It was ordered direct off Flickr using their print service and was billed simply as a “metal print”. The description says the ink is directly infused into aluminium sheet, and it is backed by a (smaller) foam block with an additional aluminium sheet behind that which has mounting holes.

I lived there from ages 0-1 and 2-4. We stopped over briefly in late 1986 (aged 17) on the way to the UK — just a few days — and then I was back there in 2019 (when the photo was taken) and again in 2023 for holidays. So really most of my memory of the country is as an adult and very recent.

It is a very modern country now, though it still has some quirks. It was said the whole country rebuilds/modernises about every 15-20 years. I recall on the 1986 visit, Mum & Dad bundled us into a taxi and we went out to an area where we used to live, only to find that neither of them could recognise a thing, a mere 13 years after we left.

Last year I was there with my Mum and we took a taxi out to the other area we lived (the one I have some memory of) and our street was still there and still with some original houses, though disappointingly not ours. The most amazing thing is the taxi driver we just happened to get had grown up in the area and was the same age as my brother! There is every chance we walked past one another as kids.

1 Like

Yup. That’ll be Dibond, or possibly another make.

I have a panoramic (5 shots stitched) that I had printed a number of years ago and which has been transported to various lectures, so it is now looking decidedly tatty around the edges. Now I have a Canon Pro-1000, which can print up to 1.2m x 42cm, so I am thinking of reprinting it myself and mounting it on foam board.

You are right. Having your own works on the wall to see every day is something special and gives much more purpose to my photography. We rotate our display every few weeks.

1 Like

There’re more possibilities with dibond. The normal is white painted, then there’s a mirror dibond and a brushed dibond. I tried the latest two but wasn’t satisfied.

@zkarj ,
Nice picture but the dibond looks bended. Is it?

George

@zkarj
Lovely panorama!
Fantastic coincidences! Pretty scary with such a pace when it comes to urban changes.

Thanks. Funny you should ask about bends.

No, the one you see in the photo is not bent, but I can detect a curvature provided by the wide angle on my phone required to get it all in. However… the first one they sent me was bent. Quite markedly so.

I got in touch with Flickr and they said “We can refund or reprint.” I went with the reprint which was perfect. Only after I got that one did I attempt to largely straighten the original one. It’s pretty close to straight now, so I will be taking it (on a plane, which will be fun) when I go to see my mother next week. I had my sister scout locations in Mum’s house where the light won’t call attention to the remaining bend, and we think she’s found the perfect spot.

Indeed. We see change in our own spaces, but I think as we see each little bit as it happens, it’s not so obvious. Leaving for 13 years and returning makes it all happen “at once”. In the case of Singapore, they only have limited space so must constantly adapt.