Colour profile creation and use in PL7

Simply include one of six industry-standard color checker charts in frame and then use the overlay tool to create a scientifically precise color profile. End advert excerpt. I have looked at
DxO PhotoLab 7 User Guide

On a separate Topic on PL7, related to the colour statement in the above advert excerpt, mention is made of Lumariver (NOT from DxO) and I have looked at Lumariver Profile Designer User Manual

The Lumariver application uses a complicated set of steps to generate a correction profile as describe in the Lumariver Manual URL above. The PL7 manual seems to have the process fully automated if a supported colour checker chart is included in the image from the PL7 user manual. Is this correct – much “simpler” than the Lumariver approach?

Also, under separate topic, it is stated that

Fine contrast (DxO FilmPack ELITE Edition installed): The Fine contrast slider brings out or softens medium-sized details, and is gentler in its effects than the Microcontrast, slider, making it appropriate to use with portraits.
Advanced settings (DxO FilmPack ELITE Edition installed): The Advanced Settings section offers three additional sliders for Fine contrast that act in a selective manner on the following three light ranges:
Highlights
Midtones
Shadows.

Each slider range goes from –100 to +100, with the default value set at 0.
End excerpt.

For PL7, mention is made of FilmPack Elite as required for the above functionality. HOWEVER, the PL7 upgrade does NOT offer FilmPack 7 Elite. Does the PL7 manual need a correction – FilmPack 7 (NOT Elite) has the above functionality or not?

Unfortunately, it’s usually the case that there are many documentation and website errors when the software is initially released. This release is as bad as I’ve seen: rushed and complicated. Fortunately, there’s enough to piece things together. DxO is no longer offering FilmPack in two different configurations: Essential and Elite. There is only one FilmPack.

Even though the store URL calls it Elite!

The truth is here:

I hope that I do not have to repost this query without the FilmPack observation. Is the use of the colour standardisation from a colour target chart “automated” in PL7 compared with the procedures required in Lumariver ? Note that under a different query, a respondent indicated a preference for Lumariver over PL7 in terms of what I shall term engineering accuracy; however, the calibration and use procedure for Lumariver seems to be complicated and time consuming (at least for each body/lens in use). Is PL7 the same. The PL7 on-line manual does not seem to indicate this; the PL7 procedure seems to be “automagic”. A response would be appreciated.

The procedure is very simple in PL7 and takes but a minute or two. You’ll need a well-exposed and well-oriented RAW image of the color checker but that’s about it. DxO wide gamut working color space only. FP not needed. Used within PL7 I think the profile is probably OK in a relative sense. Not for reproduction work or anything else requiring spot-on colors.

GIGO

I am very confused when you state “garbage in, garbage out”. Do you mean that the PL7 colour standardisation implementation in the software application is “garbage”, that the use of a commercial (not optical bench calibration traceable colour standard) photography colour card is “garbage”, or that both of these are “garbage”? The application and procedure that was recommended (Lumariver) does not use a laboratory standard, or is there something about the use of Lumariver that needs further clarification?