Colors are washed out when I now open photos

Hi,

I’ve been using version 6 on a Mac for about a month. Something happened today and when I open images now they first pop up with the seemingly correct color and then they change into a more muted version. When I look at what has been corrected I can’t find any settings that are causing the issue.
The thumbnails appear to have the correct and more vivid colors but the main image is dull.

Here’s a link to a sample image.
(https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lt6Fxe3tzJzBBqLN8)

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much,
Dave

You’re initially seeing the jpeg thumbnail built into the RAW file, then the default rendering you have specified in Preferences for RAW files. You should look at your default preset and make changes to it that are more to your liking.

Hi,

To complement what Egregius said…

You should have a look at the rendering settings in you camera. They affect only JPEG files but also the JPEG thumbnail automatically embedded in the RAW file. The RAW data are not affected. So, if you assign the standard preset to an image and if you have set “non null” rendering parameters in the camera, the image will probably appears more “flat” than the JPEG thumbnail. If you reset all rendering settings in the camera to 0 and refrain from affecting any rendering profile, the difference between the thumbnail and the photo should be minimal.

In Sony cameras this could be named “Creative style” settings.

As someone else pointed out on DPR, the DOP file is nil.

It also appears in that you may have your in-camera jpg settings on Adobe RGB or another wide gamut color space. This may be affecting things.

In any event, a simple tone curve adjustment gets your nice colors back so I think there is nothing fundamentally amiss. Try the DxO standard preset and adjust to taste. Cheers.

Hello and welcome David. Aside from what @Egregius and @Pat91 said regarding thumbnails and display when navigating through files in general (it took me a bit to get used to it), I am not able to replicate your screenshot.

What I see in the Move/Zoom window, always looks the same as in the actual edit window (Correction Preview). Doesn’t matter if with or without corrections. I’m using PL 6.8 on Windows 10.

EDIT:
@DavieInHawaii I was able to reproduce your screenshot - after using a selective HSL adjustment (with the colour picker), it neither updates the thumbnail nor the Zoom window any longer. Even after resetting the HSL adjustments. The loading icon remains on the thumbnail. It only updates after selecting another image. Behaviour back to normal after navigating to another folder and back.

Thank you everyone. The issue has seemed to self resolve. I was having the issue will all my images looking dull, even ones that I took in the past and edited previously. But, they look normal now. I’m pretty sure I caused it.

You should have a look at the rendering settings in you camera. They affect only JPEG files but also the JPEG thumbnail automatically embedded in the RAW file. The RAW data are not affected. So, if you assign the standard preset to an image and if you have set “non null” rendering parameters in the camera, the image will probably appears more “flat” than the JPEG thumbnail. If you reset all rendering settings in the camera to 0 and refrain from affecting any rendering profile, the difference between the thumbnail and the photo should be minimal.
In Sony cameras this could be named “Creative style” settings.

Thanks, I looked at the Color/Tone settings in the Exposure tab. Here’s what I have set.
D-Range Optimizer- OFF
Creative Look- ST
Picture Profile- Off

I’ll mess around with the Creative Look and see how it changes things up.

What I see in the Move/Zoom window, always looks the same as in the actual edit window (Correction Preview). Doesn’t matter if with or without corrections. I’m using PL 6.8 on Windows 10.

Yea, it was weird. Now when I make changes the thumbnails and edit window images look the same.

All good, thanks for the help.
Dave