Changing the EXIF

Guys, we were closer last year. There was a working command in command line:

I’d love to have a working GUI to change EXIF information in a way that PhotoLab would recognise a lens but a set of clear command line instructions to do the same thing would be a great start. Sigi (innocently) sent us off on a new wild goose chase with PhotoSupreme which advertises EXIF profile change functionality but 1. doesn’t change the data thoroughly enough for PhotoLab, 2. the developer shows little interest in making this improvement.

I got exif editor (apple store) and it works 90%. It will correctly list the focal length and the aperture used. It will not list the name of the lens. It is a neat piece of software for no great cost (12 Euro).

There is better and free: ExifTool multiplateforms.

2 Likes

The only useful tool for me would be one which allows me to change the lens in a way that PhotoLab 2 and 3 recognise the new lens and then save it into the RAW file. I believe Photos EXIF Editor (the one I have) only saves into jpeg. Systweak Photos EXIF Editor was money thrown away and time misinvested.

What is the full name of the EXIF Editor you bought, the name of the publisher please. Could you let us know what its limitations are and if you’ve been able to change a lens with that tool and have PhotoLab recognise the RAW file as shot by that new lens? If so, I have another €12 to spend on a solution to this issue. If not, it’s just more time and trouble for no useful result.

Well actually I got Exif Editor (full name) because it seems to work with Capture One. Do a search in the Apple Store. I am not sure about what ultimately does and does not work. Unfortunately there is no meaningful helpfile that comes with it. So it is not clear what the exact syntax should be of e.g. the name of a lens. But the same problem poses itself with exiftool, I still have to find a clear manual that gives the commands in a simple and clear fashion and the syntax of what you have to fill in. So for the time being all I can do is input focal length and the aperture used. I’ll get back when and if I know more.

Hi Bob,

Did you see my private message about the Exiftool topic ?

Continuing the discussion from Changing the EXIF:

Hi Marc, files sent!

2 Likes

Great. But I will be busy for the next days so it might take some time until I come back with an answer.

Hello,

So I just succeeded to solves @picman’s problem by editing just these 4 informations with exiftool:

-LensInfo="X"
-LensModel="X"
-FocalLength="X"
-FNumber="X"

I guess what was missing for it to work before was the -LensInfo="X" option.

Now, I do not say it will be THAT simple in every case since we might find more complicated combinations of informations and I have NO idea what PhotoLab really reads out of our picture files.
But in that particular case, it is working now.

Have a nice day fiddling with your metadata :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks a million Marc!

2 Likes

You are welcome.
I am glad it worked :smiley:

You saw the DM (direct message) I sent to you, right ?

Marc

Hi Marc. I saw the messages and sent an direct reply. Thanks again!

Continuing the discussion from Changing the EXIF:
To Alec Kinnear:
My goodness, what an unfriendly and frankly rude message. Moreover you are completely wrong: there is exactly one app called “Exif Editor”, I even mentioned that that is the full name in my previous message so that there could be no confusion. Is that sufficient for you sir.

2 Likes

It seems to be a product that is only available on the Mac App Store. Using a common generic term as an application’s official product name was probably not the best idea, but then again Microsoft successfully calls it word processing program Word, so what do I know. :smiley:,

https://exifeditor.com/

Mark

Do not go via that website, you will be directed to a page that says the app does not exists (app store bug?). Go directly to the App Store and do a search with the exact name I gave as I said from the very beginning.

Whoa. Perhaps not everybody knows the share function in the App Store.

Here you go: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/exif-editor/id477514607?mt=12 Exif Editor by Michael Novak.

1 Like

About NeededApps’ MetaImage (it’s also on the app store but available off the app store as well): my hopes have risen.

Here’s a screenshot from the appstore’s selection, which indicates the possibility of choosing the fields available for editing.

If the list is comprehensive, it’s possible that

1. the four key ones can be enabled
  2. distracting and unsuitable ones can be disabled

In that case, it would be possible to turn MetaImage into an efficient lens switching tool for PhotoLab.

If MetaImage will work, it’s available on BundleHunt in their 2019 Holiday Bundle (should be available into December) for $2 right now. There’s some other very useful tools in the bundle this year including NameMangler (bulk name changer), ABetterFinderAttributes 6 (editing file name from EXIF data), DropShare (drop sharing from your own server), WhatSize (duplicate finder), TextSoap (cleaning internet and other text for editing). Don’t consider everything, some of the apps are real copycat junk with only a single activation on a single computer possible.

Actually, Silvers is not my last name. Mwsilvers is just a handle that has special meaning to me.

Mark

Mr Kinnear,

I have given a first message saying: “I also use Capture One and over in that forum some members praise Exif Editor (available on the App Store). Apparently that works with C1. Maybe it works with PhotoLab too. Not very expensive, 12 Euro’s.”

I have given a second message saying: "Yes, that’s the one I guess. Unfortunately there is no trial." after platypus had posted a picture of the avatar of the app.

I have given a third message: “I got exif editor (apple store) and it works 90%. It will correctly list the focal length and the aperture used. It will not list the name of the lens. It is a neat piece of software for no great cost (12 Euro).”

I have given a fourth message saying: “Well actually I got Exif Editor (full name) because it seems to work with Capture One. Do a search in the Apple Store.”

I have given a fifth message saying: “Moreover you are completely wrong: there is exactly one app called “Exif Editor”, I even mentioned that that is the full name in my previous message so that there could be no confusion.”

In all those messages I have given complete information as to what to do. There is nothing more I can think of that I could usefully have given. Exact name, Apple App Store, via search because via website does not work. What in heaven’s name could I have done more?

You reaction has been one filled with filthy attacks: … skin of you nose … dirty laundry … don’t be lazy …indolent scoundrel … reluctant to carry my own pack.

You sir are an extremely rude and uncouth man.

1 Like

Gentlemen - please relax and take it easy. Thank you

5 Likes