Camera/lens combination installed, lens recognized by PL6 on one camera model and not on another

Hi, I installed the optics module for the Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC and the Pentax K3 Mk.III and K5. In combination with the Pentax K5 this works as expected, but on the Pentax K3 Mk.III the lens is not recognized. There is a generic “A series” lens seen by PL6. I don’t see any differences in the EXIF between K5 and K3 III, in both cases the Lens Model is not mentioned in the EXIF.
With the Samyang, I need to manually inform the camera about the focal length (for the in-body stabilization). The funny thing is, that the K5 doesn’t have the option “14mm”, so I select 15. Nevertheless, the lens is correctly recognized. With the K3 III I can correctly set the focal length to 14mm, but PL6 can’t figure out the lens model apparently.
Another funny thing: if I set the focal length at the K3 Mk.III at 85mm, PL6 suggests me to download the optics module for the Samyang 85mm :grinning:

Anyone with similar experiences, or even a solution?

@HanSch hello, when we did the support of the Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC for Pentax we had to select the focal length manually in the camera, like you did for your K5. We chose 15mm, as you did. But consequently all our modules are done for 15mm.
So can you try setting 15mm in your K-3 III ?

2 Likes

Thank you, Cecile-C! Brilliant solution, works perfect.
I changed the focal length to 15mm with EXIFTool, and there it is: Samyang 2.8/14mm.

1 Like