Building your own LUT from a photo edited in PL

Follow the suggestion by JoPoV and put my post as a feature request in the forum as well.

PL7 now allows you to use LUTs. Either from the preset or by importing them. For me, however, it would make the most sense to use my own LUTs. A search on the net revealed several possibilities. There is an application, but it is quite expensive, https://3dlutcreator.com/ . Or there are various tutorials on how to do this with Darkroom, Affinity or other software.
For me, however, the question remains: how do I create a LUT from a photo that I have processed in PL?

This process is done pixel by pixel and PL isn’t a pixel editor so all you can do (for now) is save your work as “preset”. if you want to create your own LUTs, it would also be niece if you could save them by category (folders). for example b&w, cinematic, crunch, summer vibe etc…

here’s a place you can get some amazing collection mostly for video work but can also work for photography depending on your pictures: https://luts.iwltbap.com

1 Like

I don’t think this is a limitation to get this tool done.
Because PL is a pixel editor for the majority of it’s functions.
Most of them act as pixel level after demosaicing. So yes, PL does a lot of pixel edition.

Thanks for the link mikerfoto. But I am not so much interested in presets, I cannot edit. Or if, I would need another app for it, like VideoLUT, ‎VideoLUT - Color Grade Editor on the App Store, or Lattice, ‎Lattice im Mac App Store, which is 300€ only :wink:
Saving as a “preset” will not work, because the workflow is first to edit the photo and than add the “flavour” you want, to a series of pics, to make them look similar.

the link i gave in last post, buying one of their set also gives you a LUTs generator, so for 25$ sure you’ll get some luts but you can also produce your own, from windows or mac.

You cannot export a LUT with the trial. So a waste to try it :frowning:

did you try affinity photo ? to create luts ? or mix them, or modify them ? or only use the luminance of one mixed with the color or hue or saturation of an other one ?

No, don’t have this. Just found a lot of videos and tuts describing it.

Since I don’t want to wait for DXO to fulfil this request :wink: I will probably buy the “Image 2 LUT” now.

On the 3 images you can see the original image (waves). Then the image (grey heron from today) and then the same image with the LUT from the original image. Convinced me.

1 Like