Bruges, Belgium, April 2024

This was captured by my wife, Wendy, on her final business trip to Europe this spring before retiring. It was shot with her Nikon Z50 and the Nikkor 16-50mm kit lens. Processed by me in PhotoLab 7.2.2

Mark

7 Likes

Oooh, I love the colours in that. Beautifully crisp, too.

I have a fascination with flat (or almost flat) water because we don’t see much of it around here.

1 Like

Wendy “did good!” Lovely. Sharp, colorful, clear, nicely composed, fluffy white clouds on a blue sy, and such beautiful buildings!!! And such a perfect building for a bookmark at the left. And a scenic bridge!

We “ain’t got none of that” here in the USA.
This would make a lovely post card.

Is it normal to have structures built literally over the water like in this photo?

1 Like

I couldn’t tell you. I wasn’t there.

Mark

Yes, and not just in Bruges.

Here’s one from Landerneau, which is about 60km west of where we live…

it’s not intended to be a masterpiece, just a test to go back and improve on.

This is the street and buildings on the bridge, looking back to where I took my shot from

In a way, this sort of reminds me of Stiltsville:

Mike, One topic per thread remember? This one is about Wendy’s photo captured in Bruges. Others have answered your original question. If you want to discuss it further please start your own thread.

Mark

Certainly, will do from now on.
Oops…

I don’t look at the “rules” quite as strictly. This is a discussion site for showing off pictures for peoples’ enjoyment and discussion, and as such should be able to ramble a bit so long as the subject matter is loosely tied to the concept of the original thread posting. Mike’s post certainly does that… the original subject concerns buildings over water!

Normally I would agree. However, Mike has shown a tendency to cause threads to ramble to hundreds and even thousands of posts. My comment was not intended as a rule but as a reminder to him of earlier discussions we had with the goal of trying to keep these new photo display threads a bit more focused.

Marl

@mwsilvers … great shot! pass along the praise to your wife!

my wife and i will be in belgium (brussels, spa, and bruges) soon, so this post is super timely. coming from arizona, these kinds of scenes are just not something we have nearby so i’ve been looking for images posted by others to help me prepare.

thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Mark, here is a shot of the location that your wife photographed, Oct 2018.

1 Like

As a follow-up to the image that @nsanyal posted, here is another view Wendy captured of the same building.

Mark

3 Likes

Curious, with a scene as beautiful as that, why block the main subject so much with a tree? Is the photo of the building, or of the tree, or both?

It makes me feel that something is in the way, and I need to move to the right. Maybe if the tree didn’t block so much of the building, I wouldn’t feel this way.

To me, which doesn’t mean anything, the tree and the building are fighting each other for my attention. …and I love the reflection, but there is so little of it.

I feel like I do when I’m trying to take a photo, and someone gets in the way. (…meaning I either move, or wait for the person to move…)

@mwsilvers , To give the picture more depth I would try to give the foreground (tree trunk and fence) some bokeh. And the house becomes more focus. This should be possible with DxO local adjustment.

You’re right, next time she’s there I’ll tell her to cut down the tree or put on a pair of waders and get into the water so the tree is not in her frame. :roll_eyes:

The only reason I posted this picture was because @nsanyal posted one from a different angle and this was the only close up image Wendy had taken of the front of the building. I thought you and others might be interested to see what the building looked like closer in and more or less straight on. It is the same tree trunk partially visible in the original photo I posted.

Mark

1 Like

Well, that explains it.

I was going to include a link to a chainsaw, or waders, but I have had the same problem so many times. I guess climbing the tree wasn’t very practical either. Or one of those devices that allow you to hold your camera off to your side. Maybe a monopod? Just fooling around here, and in her place, I would have done just as she did. :slight_smile:

A chainsaw is not necessary, a smaller aperture would have blurred the tree slightly. But that is no longer possible. But you can correct that in post processing with DXO if you want.

Tried that but was not happy with the result. The tree is just too massive and covers too much of the image.

Mark