Benefits of other s/w with PL7

I am interested in PL7 and liked it during my trial. My question is around other s/w.

From my trial experience, I saw some additional options in PL7 when I installed FilmPack. I am debating whether I need it. Must explore a bit more.

Similarly, do ViewPoint and PureRAW offer any additional features to PL7? It isn’t clear to me from the documentation.

Thanks.

village idiot’s toolbox :: fastrawviewer, rawdigger, exiftool + exiv2, matlab, any shell scripting host…

AFAIK, the answer is yes for VP (Anamorphosis correction, Miniature effect, ReShape tool, Flip and Mirror image.) and no for DPR.

1 Like

VP does, PR does not. PR is a redundant subset of PL and can only tune features crudely.
Check out the PR user guide to get an impression.

5 Likes

Like others +
ViewPoint is indispensable for monument photography and very interesting in street photography and group of people [Edit]
Unnecessary for portrait and landscape shots.

Pascal

2 Likes

…unless we have a wide-angle photo of (a group of) persons that will look fatter near the image edges than they actually are. VP can help you fix such an effect with “Volume Anamorphosis”.

4 Likes

Thanks all for the replies. I will give the anamorphosis correction in VP a try.

It works brilliantly and I have salvaged a number of images of buildings taken in close proximity where keeping the camera lens parallel with the building wasn’t possible due to height/distance. Just beware the more you straighten the more is cropped.

1 Like

Not really adding to the answers, but I found Luminosity masking extremely useful when added by having Filmpack, which wasn’t even my initial target (was only meaning to get the film simulation).

1 Like

Something similar…
I realized that when photos under harsh stage lighting have blown up areas on dancers’ faces, some film presets correct it easily. I understand such features exist but haven’t understood enough to figure out how to use them as needed. Thanks.