Batch Extraction of Metadata for Many Photos

@Joanna thanks for the information I modified it a little before putting it through the program I am using to get a .csv file directly back from ExifTool

-filename -datetimeoriginal -headline -description -gpslatitude -gpslongitude -csv "F:\_MY PHOTOS\_PHOTOS-Taken\2024\2024-Q2\2024-05-10 -\Test2\*.jpg" >temp.csv

The program automatically adds the "exiftool " bit at the front.

I then got an output of

giving a spreadsheet

There appears to be a clash with the software I am using but the data should come out O.K if entered at the command line.

@JoJu This is not a workaround it is a solution along the lines of the original user request which doesn’t involve DxPL at all except that I used PL7.6 to add the “Headline”, “Description” and GPS co-ordinates to the test images as a quick and easy way to do it in this case.

More informative and creative solutions may well exist but those are not my domain as a Windows user in a Mac topic.

However, I took a look at Zoner, for which my licence has lapsed and discovered “Zonerama”, which appears to be a free online photo website. I could use my existing Logon to access the site (rather than create a new one) and hey presto

Shared and Hidden “Albums” also appear to be catered for, this Public album can be found by going to Zonerama via a search, click on “Discover” and enter “Test2101” into the “Find” field.

and no I don’t actually live at Worthing Pier!

Depending how long and how deep @GrahamF is using Mac-OS, I see a possibility that he’s thinking along the boundaries of Windows.
In MacOS (and in Graham’s words), he put title and heading into each image within Apple Photos (a stupid name for this app). I believe, but never tried, he also could use iCloud to publish / give access to them to others, even Windows users. But I have no experience in this way and am neither a good friend of Photos or iCloud. Advantage is, no disconnected spread sheet is necessary as title and heading are visible in the photos.

I just consider his “solution along the lines of the original user request” not aver y practical, viewer-friendly one, that’s all. But not my problem, if it has to be extra complicated :grinning: @Joanna and @platypus are also no users of Photos and I also haven’t read any post of both talking about iCloud.

I do use the Photos app occasionally and mostly for sharing photos. And yes, it can display the Title and Description fields…but there are a few things I don’t like about that app. One being that Photos renames and buries files if it is not set to leave images in their original location and two, that the sharing was limited to Apple devices when I last used it.

Nevertheless, a lust was requested and can be created from what was written in the thread.

Thanks for your input. I use Apple Photos as a photo repository and it works fine for me. I don’t want to use iCloud, because I don’t want to be responsible for storing the photos on everybody else’s behalf forever. The purpose of the document is to give a simple summary of all the places we visited. It is like a table of contents. I am looking at the various solutions offered and will have a go soon.

Thank you very much for all your help. My apologies for not replying sooner, but I was playing for the band supporting a show all last week and I just didn’t have any spare head space.

I have spent nearly a whole day tinkering around. I came up with this shell script, which comes very close to what I need:

for f in “$@”
do
/usr/local/bin/exiftool -datetimeoriginal -gpslatitude -gpslongitude -gpsaltitude -title -headline -description -csv “$f” >> ~/Pictures/PhotoMetadata.csv
done

The only problems are:

1. It repeats the title line for every photo. It’s slightly irritating, but I can just sort the file in Excel and then delete all the unnecessary header rows. Maybe there is a switch to turn off the unnecessary rows?

2. Some of the data has landed in the wrong columns. Some of the titles and descriptions have commas in them or accidentally start with a space, so I wonder whether that is causing problems with the CSV format.

3. List MD of Folder Content in One File appears twice in my Quick Actions menu. It must be duplicated somewhere, but I don’t quite understand how the different components like quick actions and workflows relate to each other.

4. I wish I knew what all the switches do, but I can’t find a list in the user instructions.

Anyway, it’s very close now and I can manually adjust the bits that are broken.

@BHAYT @Joanna @JoJu @Klick @John-M @platypus thank you all so much for your help. It is much appreciated.

Can you show us some of the output?

Here is the file. I had to change the extension from .csv to .txt to upload it, as the forum does not accept .csv files.

PhotoMetadata.txt (30.9 KB)