Backup Data

Hi,

Apologies if this subject has been covered here before.

Where is the location (on a Mac) where the database/catalogue is kept? I want to back-up all the metadata, such as keywords, colour tags, ratings etc etc… I’d like to move it to a second machine. (and have a backup)

Is there a simple way to backup the full database/catalogue and all my settings up? Or do I simply use Finder and copy n paste?

Many thanks.

I use DxO PhotoLab 6, on v7 it may be different…
On my Mac (running Sonoma) the files are in DxO Photolab 6 folder in the User Library (~/Library)
See attached screenshot.

When you use Time Machine there is no need to worry about backups, Time Machine takes care of that.

Thats brilliant, thank you! C.

PhotoLab has its own backup tool which allows to select a target folder.

I also recommend to zip the backup. This can save a lot of drive space.

Thank you for your reply. I did get this response from support.

To answer your query, back up your database containing keywords, color tags, star ratings, and other metadata in DxO PhotoLab, follow these steps:

1. Locate the Database:
  • Windows: The database is located at %APPDATA%\DxO\DxO PhotoLab 7\Database\.
  • macOS: The database can be found at /Users//Library/Application Support/DxO/DxO PhotoLab 7/Database/.
  1. Backup Process:
  • Windows: Copy the entire Database folder to an external drive or cloud storage.
  • macOS: Similarly, copy the Database folder to an external drive or cloud storage.
  1. Restoring the Database:
  • When moving to a new machine or restoring after a failure, copy the backed-up Database folder to the same location on the new machine.
  • Open DxO PhotoLab and it should recognize the restored database.

Additionally, ensure that the “Always synchronize” option in the “Metadata synchronization” section under the “General” tab in Preferences is activated to keep your metadata consistent.

C.

1. Locate the Database:
  • Windows: …
  • macOS: The database can be found at /Users//Library/Application Support/DxO/DxO PhotoLab 7/Database/.

And this came from DxO? it is utterly wrong. the database files are found in…

~/Library/DxO PhotoLab v7

This is also wrong…

1. Backup Process:
  • Windows: ….
  • macOS: Similarly, copy the Database folder to an external drive or cloud storage.

Just go to the File menu in PL…

1. Restoring the Database:
  • When moving to a new machine or restoring after a failure, copy the backed-up Database folder to the same location on the new machine.
  • Open DxO PhotoLab and it should recognize the restored database.

Likewise, all you need to do is …

Additionally, ensure that the “Always synchronize” option in the “Metadata synchronization” section under the “General” tab in Preferences is activated to keep your metadata consistent

Once again this is not accurate. The Preferences dialog has changed…

Thanks Joanna. Yep, that’s the email I got from DXO support this morning…

So the backup projects option, includes everything, to save me having to mannualy find the folder and copy n paste it? I had assumed this option was just backing up any project folders I had created.

Thanks for your help… C.

The database can be anywhere. The above is the standard place, you can change that.
Look at the preferences->general, windows. I assume it’s the same in the Mac.
There is also a cache directory.

George

Nope. Unless you want to get down and dirty with .plist files, the location is fixed

Hi George, thanks for your time, but I can not see this on the Mac version. You got my hopes up, I was hoping I could put the database on Dropbox, and both my machines would always be up-to-date. - (This is what I do with CaptureOne).

Yes Joanna, I can not see it…

I doubt if that is possible. Two captains on one ship, doesn’t work.

George

it depends of the ship.
A lot is possible in software programming. It all depends on how they’re programmed.

Yes, said option backs up the database with everything it contains and the wording in the menu is simply wrong and misleading. @StevenL

I advise you test the backup and restore functionality to verify that your requirements are covered.

If you wanted to run to PhotoLab apps on two computers and from the same database, you’d have to backup and restore the db accordingly. All of it would be manually controlled unless you’d add some automator action(s)

But not at the same time.

George

Wouldn’t dop files prevail on database ?
Would this really get both machines “synchronised” ?

Chris. Why do you feel you need to backup the database? Do you use Projects or the persistent History?

If not, just use DOP files instead and they travel with your image files.

The only problem with using DOP files on two computers can be that the database on each computer, which basically acts as a cache, can get out of sync and blind-side PL into prioritising the database on one computer over the DOPs read for the shared disk.

Basically, it’s a mess, so try to avoid concurrent access from more than one computer.

Hi Joanna, thanks for your message…

Why do I want to back the database? That’s an unusal question… Loads of reasons, for example, I drop my laptop, to name one… lololol I also would like both my computers to work from the same database… With CaptureOne I put the database on Dropbox and both machines are in sync… But I’m happy to copy the latest database and settings to each machine manually…

Thanks for your help.

In which case, the PL database is going to be the least of your problems.

With Mac computers, you can use Time Machine, which is part of the OS, to continually backup to an external disk. I also use SuperDuper to clone the internal disk to another external disk so I can reboot from that onto any other Mac should the need arise.

All my images are stored on an external 2TB SSD, which is even further assurance and means I can take my images anywhere, together with their DOPs and continue editing.

Finally, I regularly scrap the database to avoid any conflicts with DOPs.

As Joanna pointed out its a mess. You are allowed 2 or 3 installs depending on version. But DXO have always refused to deal with how to coordinate these installs. Many of us use laptops when away I have never had any problems keeping my desk/ laptop uptodated. But I just use dops and will oftern delete the databases
I use a separate DAM so overcomes that problem. Others have had problems many having masses of virtual copies created as the database got confused. Its basicly a program for many installs with no account taken of such multiple installs.