I’ve read the explanation, I’ve set out my reasons, but to put it bluntly: “Can I keep that bug because it saves me time and therefore money?”
In other words: “If I’ve bought DxO Lab because it exports DNG files with all the edits applied, can you just leave me in peace?”
Or: “If I need a bug, why should I have to get rid of it?” (Imagine below a list of all human discoveries made by chance).
Or: Are there technical, ethical, moral, religious or legal reasons why non-linear data should be banned?
Or: Why was it fine before, so much so that I bought DxO for this very reason?
And in no particular order:
Is there a maximum number of export types allowed?
If I implement a feature, do I have to remove another one?
Are there reasons to lose customers, who remain on version 9.5, due to a technical dogma?
If something works and is useful to someone, can we keep it?
Have I ever said that the new feature that exports to TIFF is wrong? If you want to use it, use it; if you don’t, don’t.
I use DxO for work; if someone uses it to make cherry pits, that’s fine by me, but let me get on with my work.
And to resume my ask:
Please restore the “DNG with all corrections applied” export option (PhotoLab 9.6+)
Hi DxO team,
I’m a long‑time PhotoLab user and I’ve just run into a serious limitation introduced with PhotoLab 9.6 and later.
Until version 9.5, PhotoLab offered two distinct DNG export modes:
This was extremely powerful for those of us who use PhotoLab as the main raw developer and then finish our images in Adobe Camera Raw / Photoshop. The “all corrections applied” DNG allowed us to:
-
Bake all DxO adjustments (noise reduction, optical corrections, tone, color, FilmPack looks, etc.) into a linear DNG
-
Still open that DNG in Adobe Camera Raw with full ACR functionality available on top of the DxO rendering
-
Keep the dynamic range and fine‑tuning tools of ACR, while starting from the DxO‑processed image
From 9.6 onward, the “all corrections applied” mode has been removed, and only the technical DNG (denoise & optical corrections only) remains. I understand from your explanations that this is to avoid color inconsistencies when converting from PhotoLab’s wide‑gamut working space back to camera/native space for a linear DNG. However, removing the option entirely forces users like me to choose between:
-
TIFF export (which bypasses Adobe Camera Raw completely and loses all raw‑level ACR tools), or
-
The reduced DNG that contains only denoise + optical corrections, losing all DxO creative adjustments when the file is opened in ACR.
For many workflows this is a major step backwards. The previous behaviour in 9.5 worked very well in practice and, importantly, it was optional: users who preferred a “pure” technical DNG could choose “denoise & optical corrections only”, while others could knowingly accept the potential color differences and use “all corrections applied”.
Request
Please consider restoring the “DNG (all corrections applied)” export mode alongside the current “denoise & optical corrections only” option. Even a clearly “advanced / use at your own risk” flag would be acceptable. What matters is having the choice.
Right now the only way to preserve the previous, very powerful DxO → ACR/Photoshop workflow is to downgrade to PhotoLab 9.5, which is not ideal for users who also need the improvements introduced in 9.6 and later.
Thank you for considering this – it would make a big difference for users who rely on PhotoLab and Adobe Camera Raw together.
Thank you.