B&W using the new "Engraved" Preset

I haven’t used my old 80-200 Nikkor f/2.8 since I bought my newer and lighter 70-300. The old lens is very heavy, part of the reason for buying the newest “P” version which goes to 300mm.

I put the old lens aside, but got to wondering how good it was, remembering how much I loved it in the past.

For comparison, here’s the original image, un-edited (other than PL automatic edits):

And this is my B&W version, using the “engraved2” preset, that I downloaded from this forum.

Part of me loves the “engraved” version, but another part of me wants to edit the original a little, and not use a preset.

At the same time, I love how the preset brings out all the detail I will be using to improve my photograph.

Why not do both? A preset is only a collection of adjustments, but they are only starting points.

You probably understand the preset, what it is, what it does, and so on.

For all of the presets I’ve used in the past, I agree with you. But for this “Engraved” preset, if I mess around with it, I might break some of the special things this Preset does now. Perhaps in the future, I’ll agree with you, but my one simple attempt to modify Engraved created a worse image.

For instance - this is from an image I took this morning:

I have no idea of how I would edit this preset to get a “better” image. What types of changes might you make, without losing the “feel” of this preset just the way it was created? I flat out love the effect the way it is now, but I can’t imagine changing it - and this is NOT a very good image for this preset. It looks good to me, but the name “engraved” doesn’t work well with this image.

If you mean to abandon the 'engraved" effect, and create a different effect, then I’d probably agree with you.

I should add that when I stare at this image, holding my eyes still, I “feel” very strange and bizarre effects… For one, my eyes, and imagination, come up with all sorts of weird things going on inside that headlight if I stare at it long enough. …perhaps it is a reflection of me, and everything behind me. That might make sense, I guess…

There’s a simple answer. Don’t mess around with it.

A preset is simply a collection of adjustments that are copied to the file you are working on. Editing any of the settings in the image you are working on doesn’t (can’t) change the preset, only those adjustments in the image. For that, you’d have to edit the preset, using the preset editor, but most sensible people take a copy of an existing preset and then change that if they really want another version of the preset