Are DXO Having a Laugh, or just Money Grabbing?

You’ve got that back to front. Alec keeps on insisting that PL cannot do B&W as well as SFX.

It’s up to him to provide me with an image that he has produced in SFX, according to his taste, and for me to use PL to replicate the result he has from SFX.

Well, PL isn’t the only software and I virtually never use presets.

The comparisons I made were approximations of how you can replace certain tools from SFX in PL, and would require more time and effort to get a perfect match.

I would be careful with that kind of statement until you realise that you are talking to the granddaughter of a mechanical engineer, the daughter of a civil engineer, an automobile engineer in my own right and have all the skills necessary to have re-plumbed and rewired several houses, including installing gas-fired central heating - all fully approved by the relevant authorities.

Oh, and I have 60 years of photographic experience, both film and digital and regularly print exhibitions for other photographers.

1 Like

unions disapprove !

Hey, they were my houses, since when do DIY projects need union approval?

When you come and do mine. I have a long list of my half finished and poorly conceived projects that need cleaning up - though paying in Sterling with tax on top might make it uneconomic.

Bloody Brexit :joy::joy:

Nah. I maintain my UK bank account and I’m not VAT registered.

But you’ll have to wait until we can get our present house sorted. What with age and infirmity, I can get down, it’s getting back up that’s the problem.

Tell me about it. Some of my UK suppliers will no longer ship to Europe due to administration costs. And our neighbours, who are British, and sell plant seeds, have had to quit selling to the UK because each packet of seeds requires a phytosanitary certificate, which makes them unaffordable.

depending on the local codes (so it depends, not a general rule in the world) such things might require a work to be done by a somebody who is formally certified and licensed ( and who knows might be in a union too ) … and anything that you do yourself taking money out somebody’s else pocket :slight_smile: … what is next ? you will write a raw converter yourself instead of buying it from DxO every year ?

that was a very good thing actually … now I am hoping for Scotland to finally deliver a decisive blow and secede… to that effect people who can’t speak Scots language shall not be allowed to vote !

It was bad enough that British people were excluded from the referendum, just because they lived in Europe for longer than 15 years.

Rather simplistic reasoning.
According to local codes…
I don’t see [in France] what code or law could prohibit doing any type of work yourself at home? (Unless you build a nuclear power plant there).
There are many verification obligations by an independent control of certain installations after construction, but that’s all…
From the moment you buy the materials that comply with the standards (and they must be) in specialized stores and you pay the VAT, I really don’t see where the problem is!

1 Like

@noname I’d even say ignorance.

My father built his house (except for the rough walls).
My brother built his house (except for the rough walls).
I didn’t build my house (I’m too lazy).

don’t be that narrow-minded - france is just some small corner of the world… as I noted “it depends, not a general rule in the world” - so I was careful to carve an exception and not generalize… " code or law could prohibit doing any type of work yourself at home" → in USA, for example (which is a magnitude bigger slice of the pie vs france), local building codes exist and vary between localities = Understanding Building Codes | NIST

and for example in Texas you legally can NOT do some electrical work yourself - so if something happens, insurance for example will be more than happy not to cover your loss …so you are not advised to wire your house yourself

" Electrical Work by Non-Electricians

3.1. If an unlicensed person performing calibration, testing, inspection, or commissioning of electrical equipment encounters a situation requiring repair or replacement of a component of electrical equipment, may the person do that work?

Not if it is electrical work as defined by statute.

Electrical work is defined as any labor or material used in installing, maintaining, or extending an electrical wiring system and the appurtenances, apparatus, or equipment used in connection with the use of electrical energy, in, on, outside, or attached to a building, residence, structure, property, or premises. The term includes service entrance conductors as defined by the National Electrical Code."

Can we return to the subject in hand, instead of being diverted into some inane ruling on DIY that only applies in some states of the US?

2 Likes

you can get nik 6 two different way, either just NIK Collection with a discount if you already have nik 5 or you can get an extra 30$ off I think for a package deal nik6 with pure raw. so you may have just added the wrong on in your cart. you can also remove stuff from your cart without having to contact dxo.

Here are my thoughts on Filmpak vs Silver EFEX, or Photolab vs Lightroom, or any photography software. I believe that all you really need in any raw processing software is a tone curve, method to adjust colour, method to crop, and good noise reduction/sharpening functionality. You can likely get the results that are the same as using any of the software mentioned above if you were an expert in using, for example, tone curves. Where software differs is the user interfaces provided to achieve these results, as using a tone curve can be quite complex. I know I prefer the user interfaces. So what it boils down to is what interface you are the most comfortable working with. Some prefer Filmpak, and others prefer Silver EFEX. You can get the same results in both with work. I have played with Filmpak, but find that Silver EFEX tends to give the result I want faster. However, I know this is because I do not know the nuances of using Filmpak. If I became an expert in Filmpak I am sure I would get the results I want. It’s whatever software that works for you that is the best.

2 Likes