Apple ProRAW support?

What’s the problem? Past versions of DxO have supported JPGs from iPhones, and that’s most certainly not a RAW format.

1 Like

That is correct. But who would spend quite a chunk of money for DPL to work on jpgs while most of the useful tools within DPL can not be used with a jpg?

1 Like

I strongly think that Photolab should support all smartphones RAW (including apple ProRAW) for people who want to process all their pictures with the same software.

However for PureRaw & ProRaw i don’t really see the point.
If one day Photolab supports Apple ProRaw, DeepPrime would not be applicable because the image is already demosaiced and denoised, in camera.

Keeping all the ProRaw data in the resulting DNG may be difficult, as ProRaw for instance includes a “tone map” of highlights & shadows to be able to simply adjust the amount of “HDR look” in post-processing.

Capture One now supports ProRaw: link.

“Do you use your phone for shooting? With our latest release, you can now display and edit your Apple ProRAW images just as you see them on your phone.”

3 Likes

With the new phones having 48mp, DxO needs to take this seriously and get this done ASAP. :angry: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I have bought an iPhone 15 and it took me a while to get used to it.
I am not complet satisfied with the result : the iPhone decides automatically the corrections of colours, contrast… and the result is exaggerated ; I must do some more tests compared to my iPhone 7 which satisfied me.
I want to use ProRAW to improve processing.
Do you know a practical solution to edit the RAWs ?
iPhone Photos : just for kids, very insufficient
Mac Photos : probable the same ; I don’t want to use it because it is a blackbox that manages directory storage in its own way
DxO : see above
Thanks for your ideas !

1 Like

To edit iPhone ProRaw files use the Raw Power app available in the MacOS app store. Forget DxO for this. You can use Capture One, but I believe Raw Power does a better job.

The Fotos app can be set to work with existing/custom image folder structures, in which case it leaves images where they are.

I mostly use Fotos for finished images and sharing.

J’ai à nouveau examiné le fonctionnement de Photos et modifié le point de paramétrage.
J’ai aussi trouvé les différents réglages nécessaires mais je regrette néanmoins l’absence de support dans DxO qui est plus ergonomique que Photos.

DxO clearly has no interest in supporting Apple ProRAW (or any other iPhone .DNG files), for whatever reason, despite iPhones being used by many advanced amateur and pro photographers who would prefer to use that native format. DxO Photolab doesn’t even support the .DNG files from the ProCamera app (which btw is quite good, and in many ways better than ProRAW - but it can’t do macro focus in 3x mode . . ).
I’ve been experimenting for over a year to find a processor for ProRAW - with some success. I’ve tried Nikon Studio (it can’t even open the image!), Affinity (ok), ACDSee (ok), Luminar (so-so).
So for now I develop RAW images from my iPhone in either ACDSee or Affinity. Both work fairly well, but as I’m much more familiar with ACDSee and it is my DAM app, I tend to use that. The .DNG files usually open slightly over-exposed but details can be recovered with minor adjustments. (Fwiw, ACDSee is an excellent cataloguing, editing and RAW processing program which does not require you to import and export images, supports layers, and lets you control where your images are stored. It also has a companion iOS app called Mobile Sync which makes transferring iPhone photos to your computer over wi-fi extremely quick and easy.)

Thanks for pointing on Affinity.
I like ergonomics of DxO and ability to apply several parameters at once : is it possible with Affinity?
Affinity is not much expensive and I will perhaps buy any way.

Yes it is - Affinity has a lot of functionality similar to Photoshop. I find it easier to use and particularly like that it is reasonably priced, no subscription, just buy and keep.
Serif are offering a 30-day free trial on v2: Affinity Store Checkout

I know that there are other third party apps out there that can handle Apple stuff. Heck, even a cheap app like Photomator can handle them. The point is that we paid lots of money on THIS app to process RAW photos and we expect support for popular devices like iPhones. Sounds to me like DxO has beef with Apple and it is sticking it to them by taking it out on us – the customer. I mean, almost every other person and their uncle has an iPhone/iPad. I don’t see any other explanation for DxO’s lack of support for one of the most popular camera (if not the most?) on the planet.

1 Like

That’s been rumoured for a while and there may be some truth in it - but to be fair it’s not beyond possibility that Apple being Apple have put weird ingredients into their RAW recipe and don’t share nicely with the other kids in the playground. It certainly appears that some proprietary Apple algorithms are applied to Apple ProRAW so it is not a truly ‘standard’ DNG format. If it was, it could be processed in any RAW editor (other than DxO of course!) without having to compensate for exposure extremes, etc.
The thread Support for Apple iPhone 12, 13 Pro, Pro Max files - #25 by ralfieri
alone shows 5.9k views - compared to maybe a few hundred for other popular topics - which says it all ito the need for Apple and DxO to address this customer concern. TBH I don’t see Apple giving a monkey’s, but I know a few people who are holding back on either buying or upgrading DxO because of the lack of support for iOS.

Well it’s too bad that I had just upgraded from PL 6 Elite and Filmpack 6 to 7. Going forward, I plan to use my iPhone cameras as a part of my workflow. This means that this might be the last year cycle I will be using/upgrading and move on to something else, which is a shame.

2 Likes

Adobe Lightroom as well as CaptureOne are able to handle Apple ProRAW. Seemingly they apply a dedicated profile to compensate for the masking Apple applies in the tone curve. Works well from my experience.

As already mentioned on several posts about this topic “Apple ProRaw” as a name is somehow misleading.
The files are not “raw” files but highly processed files. I am not sure if DXO - with the mission to be one of the best raw-converters will actually enter that space but we will see

Fully agree. ON1 also provides support in addition to Lightroom and Capture One. With DXO apparently being the lone hold out, I think they are providing a great disservice to their numerous loyal customers who are begging for this. I for one, will no longer upgrade.

I would love to hear from them on this point. Do they ever connect with the DXO community??

1 Like

I want to have only one software to edit my photos. If dxo does not support the proraw format I will be forced to purchase other software.

1 Like

Created an account just to let out my frustration with the ProRAW situation.

I understand that ProRAW is not true RAW file, but rather a “Linear DNG”. I can somewhat understand DxO’s refusal to support ProRAW in PhotoLab, as there is no way to properly apply core tricks like DeepPRIME to these files.

BUT, this is hurting both the future of PhotoLab and its users. I’ve been a DxO user since PhotoLab 1 and I own every version of every DxO products since then except PureRAW. I also have an iPhone 15 Pro which I use to take pictures daily. So now I have to incoporate Lightroom into my workflow again to accomodate ProRAW images, and other solutions are becoming increasingly appealing to me.

A word of advice to DxO, I don’t want to give up PhotoLab’s amazing capabilities, but I cannot give up my iPhone. I guess I can tolerate the lack of support for ProRAW for a few more years, but in the mean time I will be constantly looking for a substitute.

2 Likes