Anyone know a good tutorial for upgrading from PL6 to 7?

I probably wasn’t going to upgrade, but got sucked in by the sale. I’m sure it will be fine, but so far nothing significant has impressed me and there are some interface changes that are confusing to me.

I know there are already some good videos on YT, but does anyone know of a good one specific to things that have changed? Doesn’t have to be a video, but it seems that’s where most of the good content ends up.

Thanks

Tempted to say just poke about, experiment, see what happens, and find out like that. Generally, for me, changes embed faster & deeper that way. But sure, wander the internet for starting points that might spur enquiries you hadn’t completely thought of …

compare what’s the difference between both, download the trial if you want but what ever you do with PL7 trial won’t work in PL6.
if you see improvement for “your needs”, than that should be a reason to upgrade.

There’s a bit of stuff on Youtube if you search. Try DxO PL7

You’ll have to hunt. Some promotional videos from DxO that have been mentioned in the forums here give some explanations. Some third-party reviews cover what’s new, too - but not everything. Important to read the release notes for a more complete overview. You might also try turning on feature highlights and the DxO Learning Hub in the help menu - but that will include a lot of old stuff, too.

Download DPL7 and install it, att while keeping your previous version. That is easy on Mac, on Win, YMMV.

Before using DPL, back up your drive, check and adjust settings, then restart DPL.

@dbvirago

1. Backup you PL6 database (arguably the config files but that will typically be used by DxPL to create the PL7 config files the first time you use PL7)
  2. Backup all PL6 DOPs relating to any directories you are going to use in PL7 until you are happy with PL7. PL7 edits will overwrite the PL6 DOPs and those DOPs cannot be used by PL6 without “hacking”.
  3. Whenever possible create new presets in PL6 and import into PL7. I do it that way but also use Beyond Compare to keep a backup copy of PL6 presets, PL7 presets and earlier. I use that backup copy to “hack” ‘Partial’ presets to create new variants and then copy them to the default preset locations where they will be picked up on a DxPL restart.

A point will come when your directories will become full of PL7 DOPs and at that point PL7 becomes the only version available for practical use.

DxO have tried to make migrating forward as seamless as possible and should be commended for that but going back can be a problem if adequate preparations have not been made, i.e. I have created PL7 presets when I should have made PL6 presets and imported etc… I have “played” with a directory in PL7 which I have then wanted to use with PL6 etc. etc…

As for getting to know what has changed, having followed my own advice given above (not) I installed and started exploring, sorry I can’t be more help with that!

The upgrade is seamless, but beware: the default preset has changed from DxO Standard to DxO Style - Natural. After a week of experimenting, and unable to get the latter to look…well, natural, I’ve reverted to DxO Standard. Now I’m getting the same results as before and regret the upgrade. Buyer beware…

1 Like

That was not my experience when upgrading to PL 7 on Windows. My default preset did not change.

Mark

1 Like

This might be another difference between MAC and WIN versions.

To prevent surprises, I always check DPL preferences/settings before using a new major release. And I also select an empty folder in DPL’s Library view before updating.

1 Like

Pretty trivial on Win as well. Just install PL7, don’t uninstall PL6.

I will say to me the most significant change is local adjustment becomes more useful, especially if you have got from Filmpack the luminosity masking function (there is a youtube video for that:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQp-4BnfKBE&ab_channel=RobinWhalley)

To be honest, even having bought FP7, I will recommend DxO allowing that function for people who haven’t. It has very little to do with FP but in fact much considered feature for those who know what they want, when choosing between Lightroom and Photolab.