Alleged security problem with PhotoLab 5.6.1 and 6.1.1

This morning a friend had problems with PhotoLab 6.1.1 after the update. She could no longer rename, export or delete pictures and no .dop file was created. A reinstallation brought no change.
We then tried PhotoLab 5 and installed the update to 5.6.1 there first. Afterwards the same result.
The solution was that “Windows Security” detected and blocked both programs with the latest updates as potential malware or unwanted application.
For a less savvy user, it is a problem to even get to this cause and find out where to fix it.
I hope these programs and updates are brought to Microsoft’s attention as soon as possible so this doesn’t happen again.

2 Likes

You mean the most recent / the daily update to Windows Defender’s virus database throws a false-positive error for PL?

I mean

Windows Security => Virus & Threat Protection => Monitored Folder Access

I hope, this is proper translated bei Google Translate. I have the German version of Windows and PhotoLab.

So, if she turns off Controlled Folder Access does DxO PL run as it should?

Yes, of course, then it works. But that’s not the point of this tool. It’s supposed to be a protection, especially for normal users. But Windows gives an error message and then you can check and subsequently grant permission for the program listed. Then it works too. However, PhotoLab is not malware and should not appear as such in an error message that can only unsettle a user.

This Controlled Folder Access feature is not user friendly and can create annoying problems for even experienced system administrators. The default state of this feature is “off” and that’s probably a good thing for most users.

3 Likes

Of course. Unfortunately, false positives are a problem with anti-malware programs across the board. It doesn’t help that within the last few years Microsoft Defender’s Smart Screen feature began to treat as suspicious any software that it thinks isn’t frequently downloaded around the world. This heuristic unfairly targets DxO’s software more than, say, Adobe’s. I haven’t seen that problem in a while, but aggressive security policies are bound to churn it up as well as other heuristics that are overly cautious.

Ok, thanks for your answers. I’ve googled a bit and read up. I think it’s better to keep this feature enabled, despite the possibility of false alarms, especially if you also use your computer for important company data. At least now we know how to turn off the alarm and unblock applications from safe sources.

Unlike Microsoft Defender, the Controlled Access feature creates a “whitelist” of trusted applications and processes. The feature allows or prevents applications and processes from accessing certain Microsoft and user specified folders. It is an optional extra layer of protection, but one which requires careful user configuration and intervention when things go awry. It is not for everyone. When DxO PL is not on the whitelist, blocking access to the specified folders is precisely what the user has configured this feature to do. In this instance, Microsoft is not alleging that that there is a security problem with DxO PL, it is simply saying, in effect, – “sorry, you’re not on the list”. Even Microsoft native apps such as Notepad and Paint will be denied access to these folders unless the feature has been configured appropriately

1 Like

It is a protection but the default state of this feature (at least in Win 10, I don’t have Win 11) is disabled / off. To me that means it is not a feature for ‘normal users’, it’s a feature for users that understand how to use it and grant access to apps that reside within the controlled folders.

Yet another reason to go Mac. Windows is SO 90’s.

1 Like

Ha ha ha, no sorry. I love Windows. I would never go to Apple and Mac. There are sometimes problems on both systems, but I like Windows much more.

That is funny. I have zero interest in moving to a Mac. To each of their own.

Mark

I’m on windows for a long time and started with Mac some month ago.
At the moment I will stay with Windows, because many of the so-called advantages of Mac do not convince me.
For some things that I can do in the GUI on Windows for a long time, I have to go into the shell on Mac…why e.g. to show hidden files permanently?
Many context menus are more extensive in Windows e.g. in Windows Explorer.
And what surprised me the most…I have not had a single system crash or bluescreen in the last 4 years with windows, in Mac this year already 7 pieces with crash reports that I have forwarded to Apple.
Yes there are also many niceties in Mac, but whether it is worth it…?

So everyone should get along with his OS and his preferred programs…important is what is achieved as a work result.

2 Likes

Or…

1. In Finder, open up your Macintosh HD folder
  2. Press Command+Shift+Dot
  3. Your hidden files will become visible. Repeat step 2 to hide them again!

Have you tried holding down the Option key when there menu is visible? It often reveals alternate actions.

This is not necessarily macOS. It is often poorly written software.

If you want to know more tips and tricks, we could setup a secure screen share.

Thanks but with my experience not over a restart of the MAC

Have you tried holding down the Option key when there menu is visible? It often reveals alternate actions.
I will give it a try :grin:

If you want to know more tips and tricks, we could setup a secure screen share.

Uups…if it happens I will start again after seconds with my work…but thanks for your help

Alternatively, another reason to use ZoneAlarm on your Windows system.

Controlled Folder Access was introduced to mitigate cypto, Ransomeware, etc. If you are backing up your data regularly, its not needed. I’ve never bothered with it.

I as well. Love windows. I own Macs too, but my first choice is always windows.

Here is a new nogo from the side of MAC OS.
Today I got a system message that MACOS has to move my local Dropbox folder, otherwise I can’t sync anything anymore. The folder was moved to ~library.
What is this?