Adjust crop causes very long delay while preview is rebuilt

Whenever I want to adjust my crop I have to wait for a new preview to be built before being able to make adjustments. This is most inconvenient and specially if done right after the initial crop where the crop is displayed but you have to wait up to 10 seconds for the image to appear.

Hi Keith,

just tested and can’t confirm that behavior for my Windows system.
Choosing a picture from the strip, select crop tool and can crop within a second.

best regards

guenter

Crop in all kinds of version snappy as always, no time delay, not even a second in my case. EA5

Strange, because this happens on two laptops. Maybe not the highest specs but still perfect for all other editing.

It is instantaneous on my aging Windows 10 desktop. Perhaps you could explicitly take us through the steps that lead to the issue. Maybe we are misunderstanding exactly what you are trying to do. How old are the laptops? What processors and how much memory?

Mark

To clarify, I crop my image and then close the crop tool. I then reopen the crop tool and this is when I have to wait for a full preview to appear before I see the image to perform the crop. The crop box is there but no image to see what I want to crop.

Hmm. How big are your raw files? Were there already a lot of edits performed on this image?

Mark

Hi,
tried it with nef, nrw and orf up to 30 MP…still one second max.

I normal crop as my first edit. I have 32.5mp files from my Canon m6 mk ii but my other 24mp files also exhibit this behaviour.

@KeithRJ …what’s your hardware specs?
I still can not get delays over 1 second and my hardware is about 7 to 9 years old.

My laptop is about 2-3 years old and is an eighth gen i7 with 16gb RAM and SSD, so not exactly a slow laptop.

There could be other edits that is slowing down the preview so need to do some testing to see where the slowdown occurs.

This doesn’t happen on either of my PCs, desktop and laptop. Both are Win 10, i7, 16 or 32Gb RAM, running PL3.2 and 3.3. I have checked this on images stored on the internal SSD, on an external USB3 4TB drive, and on my NAS drive. All crops are instantaneous.

Hi @KeithRJ ,

sounds very curious. Do you have the time delay only with cropping, or also with other functions?

best regards

Seems like previews take a long time to build and every time you start a crop or redo a crop a preview is built if one is not already done. Occasionally the crop is instantaneous. Very curious nobody else is having this issue.

Hello @KeithRJ,

Does it actual for any of your images? I mean what if you apply No correction + Crop only, still a long delay?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Crop is normally the first thing I do so only the default settings are applied including auto-microcontrast which is what I have added to the default preset.

Hi Svetlana,

This issue really seems to be to do with generating full previews. When I crop an image a full preview is generated and if you go into the crop tool before the preview is complete then you will get the delay and see the turning wheel.

I often crop and then return to the crop tool immediately to make a fine adjustment to the crop and this is where I have to wait. In my opinion, you do not need a full preview to tweak a crop so I would be happy to be able to crop without having to wait for the preview before I can crop ( in other words, do the preview in the background).

This happens with all images and even relativity small 12mp raw images from my Canon G1X mk ii.

Thanks for your help.
Keith

I am resurrecting this issue as it is very annoying and unnecessary. It appears it was corrected in one of the previous releases but is now back again!

Here is my suggestion to the developers:

1. The image has already had a preview created and I go into the crop top and make a crop and exit the crop tool.
  2. I decide I need to adjust the crop so enable the crop tool and I have to wait for a full preview to be created which is slow.
  3. I would expect the full preview to still be available and if PL requires just the preview of the crop then PL should NOT remove the full preview after a crop and retain it for future crops.

Please give this some serious thoughts because it unnecessarily allows me down and there is no reason it should behave like this.

@sgospodarenko could you please take this up with the developers.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Good morning @KeithRJ ,

• Yes, sure. Please, provide me with your logs and I will send them to developers as I can’t reproduce the issue - it’s still less than a sec on my PC.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi @sgospodarenko,

Attached is a zip of the log directory (only a single file after deleting the old files before starting PL for this test).

I have tested this on two different camera’s files, Canon G1X Mk II and Canon M6 Mk II. All RAW files from BOTH cameras cause this issue.

Here is an exact and reproducible set of steps to reproduce this issue:

1. Select a file and go to Develop module.
  2. Create a crop that is quite small (1/4 width and 1/4 height of the original) then close crop tool to create the crop.
  3. Open crop tool again and there is a wait of 7 seconds for the Gl1X files and 15 seconds for the M6 files.
  4. Once image is displayed, change the location of the crop and close to accept.
  5. Open crop tool again and the image appears in under a second.

It appears that only happens after the FIRST crop and after that it is quick.

If I close PL and restart and do crops on an image, the first open of an existing crop causes this delay and all subsequent crops are very quick to appear.

This all looks like a caching or preview generation issue.

Many thanks for looking into this.

DxOPL4logs.zip (30.7 KB)