Abstract Reality (or what I learned from @Joanna)

Challenge - take a camera that you can use in your sleep, no need to figure things out, just shoot - but shoot in RAW and Manual so you are the one setting the camera, not the camera electronics.

Go for a walk someplace, anyplace, but instead of looking where you’re going, look to both sides, up above you, anywhere and everywhere, looking for things you normally pay no attention to whatever. For every potentially interesting thing you see, use whatever you know about photography to get the best possible photo of it, and as you’re shooting, change your viewpoint, whatever, until you’ve got the best possible view of it. If it’s a garbage dump or a construction sight, just do your best to capture what you see. Then move on and look for the next possible scene.

When you get home, try to create the best possible image from what you’ve captured, even if it’s a completely worthless shot, not worth having even been photographed.

Do this for a week, or a month, or whatever, until something in your brain makes you aware of potentially fascinating scenes that you were about to walk by, and ignore.

…of course, perhaps everyone in this forum is going to look at the above photo, and wonder why anyone would be silly or stupid enough to bother to even take a photo. So be it. But maybe, your brain will see something that you never recognized as being worth a photo, but turns out to be “art”. :slight_smile:

…oh, and read anything and everything that has been posted about abstract photography, even if you’re like me, and know you can’t do it. Do it anyway.

1 Like

I woke up in the middle of the night, thinking about this image, and while I like the left part, the right part is dull and boring. Easily corrected:

Meaning: Throw out the wash water, not the baby. :slight_smile:

Perhaps I am the only one here to appreciate this.
Or, perhaps I am losing (what’s left of) my mind.

More fun and games with the power of PhotoLab…

…mixed with a little imagionation!

Look at in a larger size!

What I didn’t say before about this photo - I saw these meters, and many more around them. I thought it would be cool to create a photo of 9 of them, but the only way to do it correctly would be from a ladder. Fortunately, PhotoLab’s “8-point Tool” allows me to create exactly what I had in my mind. Then it took forever to select what I thought the best cropping might be, and I wanted a high-contrast look - more PhotoLab tools turned my imagination into an image I could print here.

Even then, it looks too small and boring - but clicking on the image enlarges it to show what I wanted to post. To do this in my film darkroom - forget it. I never had the ability to accomplish this, but PhotoLab turns the image into putty, so I can stretch or compress it as I wish.

Thanks to @stuck, it bothered me that I didn’t post all this along with the image.

For those of you who feel it’s a mere snapshot, try it yourself - while PhotoLab makes it do-able, it’s a struggle to get the final result I was after - and which I imagined as I was pressing the shutter release on my D3.

I was about to walk to the food store to get breakfast food, and almost walked out the door without my camera. I thought better about this idea, and grabbed my Fuji X100F.

As I was walking by this old truck with dozens of pipes loaded on it, I started to think what an absurd photo that might make. I only had minutes, as the truck was about to leave. This is what I ended up with.

It’s a rather absurd photo, but it was real, not faked. I suspect most people here are going to hate it, but something kept me going. It certainly was NOT very well thought out - everything I did, I did by instinct. Two photos in raw+jpg and I was on my way. I could make it higher, so people can see the detail, but this was the image I had in my mind.

DSCF6317 | 2024-08-23.raf (20.5 MB)
DSCF6317 | 2024-08-23.raf.dop (14.2 KB)

On the way home, I found this old scene from months ago. I shot it again but this time moved a foot further away, hoping to achieve some of @Joanna’s suggestions. Not sure if I accomplished that, but I think I did pretty well. Again, lots of editing with PhotoLab until I saw what I wanted on my screen.

Again, it’s no big deal small, but when I enlarge it, I see the image I hoped for.

DSCF6315 | 2024-08-23.raf (24.2 MB)
DSCF6315 | 2024-08-23.raf.dop (25.8 KB)

Here a mix between Iceland’s nature and geothermal industry

2 Likes

I like the color version, but I enjoy the B&W more.
The B&W leaves out some of the “clutter” too.

(I wish I understood what I’m looking at!)
(But then it wouldn’t be “abstract”, or would it?)

Looks VERY cold!!!

Thanks mikemyers,
yes in May, it was cold but above 0°C in spite of the snow fields. And a few miles further you could enjoy a hot shower along the road, thanks to the magmatic activity not far underneath…

D3M_4315 | 2024-08-20.nef (11.9 MB)
D3M_4315 | 2024-08-20.nef.dop (14.2 KB)

Went for a walk, looked up, and saw this. Wandered all over, to find a good spot to capture the photo. Decided color was boring, but B&W seemed to offer some possibilities. Tried to bring out the “texture”, but I can’t do this as well as Joanna. I did want the “vertical line” at the corner to be vertical, but I didn’t want the right and left sides to be anything like a “mirror image”. I could have brought out more texture in the sky, but decided it didn’t look right. I was SO tempted to use “ClearView Plus”, but resisted. Finally I “sat on it” for several days, debating whether or not I wanted to post it here.

Smaller file because it is from D3, and cropped.

It may or may not be abstract, but there was a lot of “playful” manipulation of PhotoLab controls. I don’t dare call it “skillful”, as I see things that don’t belong, but they do add to the effect, so I left them in place. I’m sure Joanna will tell me how to remove them.

…an hour or so later - re-edited the image, to prevent blown highlights and shadows.

D3M_4312 | 2024-08-20.nef (13.1 MB)
D3M_4312 | 2024-08-20.nef.dop (14.1 KB)

Not sure what to say about this image - I just kept trying things, then starting over, then trying new things, and finally created one one image based on what things I liked in all my testing.

I don’t dare send this to “friends and family”, as they’ll likely tell me I need help.
Maybe they would be correct, but of all the things I tried, this is the only one I can smile at.

The original file is posted up above - probably any one of you can make a “better” image than this, but I suspect Joanna is the only one here who will go as wild as I did. :slight_smile:

Last night, I liked the dark image. This morning, it is obviously too dark.
Replacement image: