Why is Lightroom and Photoshop together almost the same price as PhotoLab 6 Elite?

and what part(s) of Adobe’s products do not allow you to do things manually w/o full control ? just curious …

1 Like

Nothing stops anyone from doing things manually in LR, but I stick to the tools that fits may way to work best.

That is my take exactly, the RAW performance is not there (yet). On TIFFs it can sometimes do wonders, particularly in rescuing scans of old negatives. The default settings are still too strong but can usually be dialed back with improved results. I use export to application from within PL6e for the roundtrip to/from Photo AI and that makes for a very efficient workflow.

2 Likes

Of course there is no quantitative metric, which is why I used the word ‘opinion’ rather than stating that my disagreement was based on irrefutable fact. My opinion is purely qualitative based on my extensive comparison of hundreds of images using DeepPRIME, DeepPRIME XD, and Topaz DeNoise AI. These comparisons were most often at higher zoom levels, where the retireval of clean fine detail using XD was very significantly superior to anything Topaz could do. It wasn’t even close. In the interim, Topaz has improved their product so a current comparison is somewhat closer, but DeNoise AI in my experience is still very noticably inferior to DeepPRIME XD. It may catch up to XD, but not yet.

Mark

@noname if you take a cloudsubcription of adobe they hooked there barbs deep in your mouth. It’s looks very nice to have 1TB for “free” when you out and about so you can store rawfile’s for safety and even use there cloud edit. For 10 dollars a month but they also take your metadata and personal whereabouts image data and sell that to the highest bidder as “Anonymous” data like facehook eh facebook does and google…
Google “process all uploaded images for security” and almost every cloud does that.
It’s what they do after the check what’s important.

They offering comfort and ease of use that’s thru but offline it’s gone.
Photolab works offline and if you downloaded all lensmodules you need you could block photolabs internet request’s and it still works fine.(not that i need too but it works of the grid the same as on the grid and that is more important when you on a trip.
Public WiFi is very tricky lots of sniffers out there so a vpn is necessary.
I only want to say it’s not only rozes you smell… :yum:

1 Like

And, apparently, if you stop paying, you lose access to your cloud storage.

4 Likes

I have mouth of steel , so I can digest whatever hooks they through at me :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Hy i know that🤠
Someone used that allot…
:thinking:

Things change. Just received this from Adobé…

Dear Creative Cloud User,

We want to let you know about an upcoming change to your personal Creative Cloud account. Adobe is modernising the Creative Cloud storage experience and will begin discontinuing Creative Cloud Synced files on 1 February 2024.

How this may impact you:
• Files saved to Creative Cloud Files folder on your computer will no longer automatically sync with assets.adobe.com.

• Files that are uploaded directly to assets.adobe.com or the Creative Cloud Mobile App will not be automatically copied to your computer.
Recommended actions:
• If you do not save assets to the Creative Cloud Synced files, no action is needed.

• Ensure your assets are properly backed up locally or to third-party cloud storage.
It is important to emphasise that there will be no change to Creative Cloud Documents functionality. You can still save files as Creative Cloud Documents via applications such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator; these files will remain in sync across devices.

Regards,
Adobe Creative Cloud Team

That could be tricky if you forget to ensure everything is also on your computer

I think of cloud storage as only a backup of my local primary storage. Servers fail, and companies are sold, go out of business, or change their policies. If you forget to pay for your storage you could lose everything and it is not clear to me how secure your images are from theft. I keep the primary versions of all my images locally with multiple local backups and an additional online backup, “just in case”.

Mark

3 Likes

We stray away from the topic header but what @mwsilvers writes is often “forgotten” in the advertisement of cloud services.
Investment of hardware costs and maintenance budget is for corperate situations often the bridge to choose for virtual enviroments and full cloud solutions.
But even then it would be clever to have a mirrored backup by an other cloudprovider in case of problems by the main one.
For home use purposes cloud services are for convenience of acces on multiple devices and backup for the case that you devices are lost by fire, theft, breakdown what ever.
Yes ofcoarse a heavy duty server which provide several users at the same time enough processingpower for editting is much more energy efficiënt in hardware and software as in buildcosts. But has weak spots.

• always subscription
  • if you stop paying everything is gone or you need to download your data to an other provider or a piece of hardware at home.
  • what about server attacks and your privacy?
  • internet has hickups or slow speed? Or isn’t available at all?

Yes a good screen and fast internet and highpreformens server would give you a edge against a home pc but those servers are always active so enormous power consumption. Hello nature?

All and all i am not that keen on give everything a internetsocket and hook up to the B.B.V.W bigbadvirtualworld.

Back to the original question: Probably is Adobes Revenue not only the price tag of lightroom and photoshop… They act like Uber, invest to push everyone out of the game and then the only choice is there choice.:wink:

I am not sure if i would like that as situation in the future.

2 Likes

you can always welcome the government ( or open source volunteers ) to provide you w/ a raw converter… otherwise it is difficult to prohibit a company to continue to add features to the product that their target audience ( which might not be you ) want and thus grab market-share and/or sell @ a lower price and thus grab market-share … Adobe does both ways … with a small company the problem is that they simply always can go out of business tomorrow for whatever reason ( in rare cases the product left to a small community of users - LightZone for example was donated source code wise ) - with a big company too their can simply discontinue a non core product ( Aperture for example )

2 Likes

You have the option to opt out of sharing your photos with Adobe