What's the best thing about PL5?

Good idea. Thanks.

Never underestimate the free 31 days trial :smiley:

3 Likes

Well, no change with the ‘equalizer’s’ behaviour – but, @StevenL what I don’t like at all, dragging the mouse pointer across I’m not able to keep the value I started with.

Instead I have to read the start value, drag across and then try to match it, before I can correct in smaller increments. That is really annoying (and could be solved with additional key).

see post #57

1 Like

For whats it worth I place the new Control Line first and second the fact that version 5 remembers which folders were open when it was last closed and reopens them on restart whereas version 4 just opened a long long list of folders.

Simon

I’m so relieved to find someone who sees the same problem! It’s like trying to start your car in 3rd gear. :laughing:
They just need to swap it around so the drag starts in small increments and then accelerates to larger increments with the outward drag. How is that not common sense?

@Beachscriber, @StevenL
please see → Turning the graduated filter - #21 by Wolfgang

1 Like

Excellent recommendation Joanna. PhotoJoseph explains and demonstrated U-points and the new Control Line technology perfectly.

Every PhotoLab user should watch the first half of that video.

It’s safe to ignore the second half about FilmPack. The demonstration is mediocre and meanders, not really covering any new ground for anyone familiar with FilmPack.

Easy - look in the book! (PL4 manual page 159 :slight_smile:
“Click on the scale, then move the mouse vertically. The value increases when you move it up and decreases when you move it
down. The settings level is indicated by a blue bar and a numerical value in a floating tile when you move the mouse.”
The farther away the mouspointer is the finer the adjustment

All across PhotoLab there should be a modifier key to make sliders lower sensitivity on sliders to one fifth or even one tenth of their normal sensitivity. I constantly have to type in values to achieve subtle changes.

2 Likes

If this works as promised, that would be fantastic.

Any tips for the main sliders in the palettes?

well thats it actually, copy/paste mistake, sorry.
“To make even more precise adjustments (Windows version only), click on the scale, then move the mouse horizontally. This will
significantly slow down the application of the correction and its corresponding numerical display.”

Using the mousewheel helps sometimes but even this is not accurate.

This function is known, but – to repeat from post #53 – what I don’t like at all, dragging the mouse pointer across I’m not able to keep the value I started with.

Instead I have to read the start value, drag across and then try to match it, before I can correct in smaller increments. That is really annoying – and could be solved with an additional key.
( see in detail → Turning the graduated filter - #21 by Wolfgang )

2 Likes

Ah, yes, I see I’ve discussed this with you before! :slight_smile:

The on screen display UI is past its sell bye date and is limiting PL, these issues will go away when these controls are moved to the normal menu.DXO look committed to that change in UI and it really needs to happen as a point update in V5.

2 Likes

I agree with Andrew on the warmth and Hue sliders and regard them as pretty much unusable. The way I would like to see DXO go is to use the existing White balance sliders.

Preferably all applicable menu controls should apply to Local Adjustments. Local adjustments are simply a selection of pixels from the main image so why can’t the normal menu controls impact the selected pixels, rather than having two different menu controls? Surely makes for a cleaner UI and consistent controls?

2 Likes

The selection is excellent the UI execution could be so much better if DXO implemented a “Fill Mask” option and also allowed the Luma and Chroma selectivity to the Brush mask.

A quick and lazy brush selection can then be refined by Luma or Chroma. This can be done in other software and would enhance the good work that has already been done on this feature.

3 Likes

This principle was used in Nik Viveza2 and still is in ColorEfex4 (different layout / different as there are 50+ filters).

The selection is excellent the UI execution could be so much better if DXO implemented a “Fill Mask” option and also allowed the Luma and Chroma selectivity to the Brush mask.

… the brush mask at the moment acting like with Luma & Chroma set to 0.

I also got my hopes up when I found out about this but unfortunately it works really badly. You have to pull your cursor perfectly horizontally to the side or else once it engages low gear you are 1000K out and then the low gear cannot get you back to the region you started in. You end up dragging your cursor all over the place. It’s just back-to-front. It seems common sense to me that it should start in the low gear and then move to the high gear. Who starts his car in top gear?!

1 Like

Andrew, Alec is on MacOS and this ‘dragging out’ only exists for PL (Win).
– So, he might be happy with a redesigned RHS menu …

1 Like