Vignetting correction bug with Sony Alpha RAW files

After having issues with overcorrected vignetting on my astro photos, I just did some tests to find the cause.

Version: PL 7.7.2

Observed behavior:
Setting vignetting correction in my Alpha 6700 to Auto, the correction is applied to the RAW file and the Sony vendor specific EXIF tag is correctly written.
Now processing the RAW file with default PL settings, vignetting correction is activated. This results in vignetting being corrected twice (once by the camera, once by PL).

Expected behavior:
I would expect PL to read the EXIF tag and automatically disable its vignetting correction when vignetting has already been corrected by a Sony camera.

1 Like

Hi there and welcome.

Usually any corrections to raw files in camera are not actually performed on the raw files but simply applied as exif data for post processing in camera to produce JPEGs and manufacturer specific developer app to apply the needed corrections.

I would be surprised if Sony did modify their raw files although I don’t use Sony myself.

But please share the files, both raw and in camera JPEGs.
Then we can take a look at this.

That’s from 2020:

I do not know if that has been addressed meanwhile. I would post your question in this thread, where it is more likely to get a response about the state of the current corrections:

Appreciate your answers!

Reading through the old thread from 2020, this sounds like pretty much the same issue just for MFT.

Not sure if the RAW is really altered. ExifTool shows a “Vignetting Corr Params” tag, which would make more sense if the RAW data is untouched by the camera.
Vignetting Corr Params: 11 0 896 2144 3552 5136 6912 8688 10336 11792 13008 13984 0 0 0 0 0
However, this would mean PL actually reads the tag and applies both, vignetting correction as suggestes by the tag and its own.

I uploaded a test photo with the lens covered by a piece of paper and focus to infinity (not a perfect test obviously, but good enough to show the problem). Provided are RAW, OOC JPEG and PL JPEG processed with only vignetting, camera profile and distortion enabled.
https://file.io/UdguS3Hxv8be