"Undo" really is not Undo. This is broken and needs to be fixed. How about a real undo please?

Yes

Of course not. That’s fine if all the images were previously set to “none”. In this case, I had previously tagged 60 of the 250 images based on where those images were captured (different areas of the convention center had different lighting). So “undo” should have returned the 190 new images to none, and return the previous 60 to one of the 3 color tags they had previously been set to…

Let me try another example. I have 5 images in a folder. Call them A, B, C, D, E…
After launching PL, I make the following edits:

1. ABC get RED color tag
  2. ABC get +0.5 Exposure
  3. ABC get -10 Highlights
  4. C gets +5 shadows.
  5. ADE get exposure to +0.3…

Then I select image A.
When I click undo, step 5 gets undone. Images ADE anre selected and have their exposure change stepped back.A goes back to +0.5, and D and E go back to 0.
Next Undo: image C is selected and shadows are returned to 0.
next Undo: ABC are selected and highlights set back to 0. Etc…

This isn’t complicated.

And my old brains must keep track of what I did so I can understand what I’ve done on what selection? Forget it.
There’s still the problem how the program will know the used selections. A selection isn’t limited by the used directory.

George

Just to be sure… Is this what you get or what you want?

It’s what I want.

Undo stacks are normally managed by a combination of software design patterns:

• The State Pattern
  • The Command Pattern
  • The Memento Pattern

All of these require keeping a persistent list of either which commands have been executed, with the possibility of “reverse” commands or a list of states that the object has been in, with the the possibility of reverting to a previous state.

Problems arise when you also need to manage a list of images to which those patterns have been applied.

However, how these problems are solved may upset one set of users or another, depending on the implementation. It could be difficult to please everybody

Undo, should do just that, undo the last actions. It’s really quite simple.
Currently if you apply a change to 10 images, and then immediately activate undo, only one image is reverted…. And even worse, if you made a change to the color tag that you want to undo, and you select undo, the color tag stays and the last history item is reversed…

This is not at all “undo”…

It doesn’t work, and it should be fixed.

All of the selection are reverted.

George

Okay its still woefully broken.
If you select 15 different images with 15 different most recent adjustments that were made at different times by different actions are they all “stepped back” one step?

That would be horrible…

I really just want undo to work the way it works in virtually every other program.

Just reset and start over. That’s what I do.
I hardly use selections, only for setting wb to 5400. When I remember right.
But as long the selection is still there, the undo/edit is on all of the selection.

George

When you are trying to turn an event around with 300-500 pictures in one or two days you can’t do all your edits one at a time.

As is typical here lots of people telling me what I don’t need.

If you don’t need it, no need to vote…

No they are not.

I have the exact same issue the OP has written about.

You select a group of images that you’ve edited (eg to export as a batch). You then forget do deselect them all before making a change to the current displayed image.The change is applied to all the selcted images, but when you realise your mistake (usually immediately!) and Undo, the undo actio is only applied to the displayed image and not all of the selcted images.

This has cost me goodness knows how much time to then revert the unintended alteration of many (occassionally 50+) images.

It is incredibly frustrating.

1 Like

I just tried it again. As long as the selection exist the Ctrl-Z deletes the last edit of the individual images in the selection.

George

@George Interesting. Mac or Win?

Yup…. And thanks for posting…. I wasn’t going to get into further discussion because his mind is already made up that I should only be editing one image at a time. :joy:

It’s such an easy fix too, now that I’ve thought about it more…

windows.

George

Thanks @George I suspect another difference between Mac and Windows has been found.

I’ve experienced this issue when using a Mac.

I’m going to hazzard a guess that @MikeR uses a Mac too?

He wants more. He wants the selection being administrated like an edit. And thinking further about that I certainly DON’T want that. It will make it impossible to step back in individual images without changing other images. Like in his example.

George

Just tried “undo” in DPL 6.4 on macOS 12.6.5 on iMac 2019 and found the following with a bunch of 60 images, all selected for testing

1. Adding a colour label is not logged in “Advanced History”
    → can’t be undone with ctrl-z or the respective menu item, which is greyed out
  2. Adding a red or green flag is not logged in “Advanced History”
    → can’t be undone
  3. Adding a start rating is not logged in “Advanced History”
    → can’t be undone
  4. Rotating an image is not logged in “Advanced History”
    → can’t be undone
  5. Flipping an image is not logged in “Advanced History”
    → can’t be undone
  6. Applying a preset is logged in “Advanced History”
    → can be undone…but
    when I deselect all images but one and press ctrl-z, undo is applied to all images!
    (and get the same behaviour in DPL5)

No. I don’t want that. You misunderstand.

Also no. If you wanted to step back in an individual image, and edit you made with multiple images selected, you simply click the step in the advanced history instead of activating Undo.

Of course this wouldn’t be a problem for you because you only edit one image at a time as you mentioned before.

This works, but it disables undo, if more than one image is selected (on Mac)