Skin tones very much off for Nikon Z8

Either that, or online AI apps will take over the customers.

And before I forget: another BIG source of differences for rendition of highlights (hair brightness!) between native JPEGs and PL is Nikon’s Active D-lighting!

If you have D-lighting activated in the camera options, its effect will NEVER be reproduced by any program except NX Studio.

Unless I shoot in-camera JPEGs, I will always leave Active D-lighting off.

I saw that as well, 20 new Nikon digital renderings. I wonder how they are. But if they are good, why don’t they use them as default in Photolab?

Apart from the very obvious answer (they want you to buy Film Pack), it’s because they think that their own color profile for Nikon sensors is more neutral/accurate than the profiles of the Picture Controls. And they are probably right: I remember an analysis which showed how almost every Nikon Picture Control had a certain amount (and sometimes, very huge) of deviation for each tonality of the color space compared to a “perfectly neutral” rendition. Nikon strives for pleasant colors with their Picture Controls (except for “flat” and partly for “neutral”) at the expense of accuracy. DxO aims at accuracy first. So, the extra renderings in the film pack are for those who need to match the Nikon Picture Controls rather than achieve absolute tonal accuracy.

This is the very sad part of this.
Not everyboby wants to focus on reproducing old film rendering, nor need some already done (in the box) effects.
But everybody needs basic functions like luminosity mask or camera dedicated rendering.

I think they make a mistake playing with users like this.

Anyway, they’ve cut what is one of the most interesting tool for me in v7 (luminosity mask) and I don’t want to pay the price of a whole software just for one essential but very basic tool.

Will see if what’s left is enough for me to upgrade when I’ll have time to test. But this attitude will probably lead me to skip this upgrade.

Reflecting on all the constructive feedback I got here on the forum and from my own experience, the workaround I have tried with some satisfactory results is to:

1. Create a new custom profile by copying the “DxO Optical Corrections only” profile and turning off vignetting correction, then
  2. Trying different options for the Rendering dropdown under the “Generic rendering” type

Exactly! Tinker, experiment, and create the presets/profile that suit your workflow and vision best.

My opinion is that automated “no effort” solutions may be nice, but when you want to have full control, nothing beats learning how to “tune the machine to your own standards”.

All these were developed with Photolab and with a Nikon Z6… I don’t see any green skin tones!

2 Likes

The point of the dxo color accuracy may be true for their neutral profiles. However, dxo always claimed that their camera profile is based on the default profile of the jpg if I remember correctly, which would be Nikon Standard Picture Control.

I tested the Filmpack 7 yesterday evening, those 20 new digital Nikon profiles are unfortunately not the typical Picture Profiles such as Standard, Vivid, Portrait etc, but they are the 20 effects picture profiles, such as denim, pink, etc, with rather extreme effects.

I looked at the Filmpack product website few times yesterday, and I did not find anything related to Nikon listed. Can you link to something that describes it?

I don’t see it on their website either, but I guess they must have included it in their press release, as every camera magazine site is mentioning it, for example here:

There are also 20 new digital effects, and a series of digital renderings with new styles of color and black-and-white modes on modern cameras from Nikon and FujiFilm, which brings the total number of adjustable high-fidelity color and monochrome film renderings to 89 and 82 digital styles.

Also they all have the Name “N …” and are clearly inspired by the ones in the Nikon cameras