PureRaw + Fuji X-T5 + Lightroom = purple in highlight

read what I wrote and simply ignore the rest of them folks , they have no clue :innocent: /how do I look with a nimb, not bad ? /

first do NOT… take a gun to a gun fight - that is rawdigger and exiftool

JoAnna - we all do love you truly for your dedication to DxO … seriously, jokes aside

Wonderfull !!! it works.
That do not explain why only with X-T5, but it’s a helpfull solution.

THANK you very much.

1 Like

please post a raw file from X-T4 or what else you have and let us do some (raw)digging - may be DxO does write proper data for other models ? we can’t say till we dissect actual files

Most killers use a .22… Silent deadly not a 12gage shotgun… :crazy_face:
Joke’s aside for me FRV is most of the time enough i don’t need to digg deep in rawfiles often.

In this case i did few things
1 use selective tone and advanged contrast to “recover” highlight by pulling 70 isch neg.
Then push shadow max up put the rawfile through the wringer and adjust with -2,48ecv to get sort of a image.
If it breaks it wil be then i think.
Then export as jpeg. Lineair DNG (all corrections) and rawDNG (optical module only.)
DxO didn’t show any purple but as my 4 image faststoneviewer showed the rawdng’s did.
Run the rawfile against the dxopl rawDNG showed a change in clipped channel percentage so the “pixelvalue” channel would be too.
(i didn’t look or care about sharpnes or any image quality i was looking for channel changing in balance. Which influences WB.)
The small test showed a demosiacing problem in channel balance.
Panasonic rw2 and s deephadows did also a redisch colorcast in night shots.
They recalibrated some things and it’s better.
(look for G9 and redglow on the forum)
Edit this thread

So @Merlinx63 assumption that DxO causes the purpleglow was correct.
The exact why ? Don’t know and frankly don’t have the toolbox and knowledge to pinpoint that. We have developers for that by DxO.
(edit: Because the reading of there own dng’s show no purple inside DxO PL o think they know how to solve it.)

@Merlinx63 you could ask a staff member to look at it upload your test files and create a ticket.

not where I am from … in any case - I provided a correct explanation with correct tools

1 Like

I have an old Fuji X-H1 camera , I shot a fully clipped raw, converted using DxO PL6.9 into linear DNG and used rawdigger to check - for that model DxO PL6.9 does scale data almost properly to clipping point ( as indicated by 0xc61d WhiteLevel : 65535 65535 65535 ) and Adobe ACR does GREY, not MAGENTA when “exposure” slider is pulled to the left

proper scaling for X-H1 =

So far all data points to the bug in DxO code for at least X-T5 model …

Simply because you have over-exposed more with the X-T5 than with the other cameras.

Once again, if you are seeing purple, it is down to Lightroom doing its thing with a completely blown area. It has nothing to do with PhotoLab, how it exports, all that techie blurb, etc.

That is not fixing the issue, it is a kludge that is changing the metadata to fool Lightroom into thinking that true white is not true white.

The original RAF file doesn’t contain a White Level tag.

The exported DNG file contains multiple White Level tags

[EXIF]          White Level                     : 65535 65535 65535
[XMP]           White Level                     : 27117
[XMP]           Adobe White Level               : 30726

65535 65535 65535 is the equivalent of 255 255 255 in RGB numbers (pure white)

By setting the White Level tag to 57837 57837 57837, you are actually setting it to 225 225 225, which is a very pale grey.

You can do exactly the same thing from within PhotoLab by simply lowering the top of the tone curve to that number…

Of course it does but, as I have just explained, all this does is change the metadata and not the image itself.

Much easier to just take the top of the tone curve in PhotoLab, thus adjusting the image and not just he metadata.

In fact, you don’t even need to go down to 225 225 225, just drop the top of the curve to 252 completely gets rid of the over-exposure warning.

No way! you provided a horrendous kludge that only changes metadata, not the image. Not all editors will read these tags or interpret them correctly.

please, do not post what you do not understand

people can make the call - the topic starter himself sees that what I wrote works… 2x2=4 no matter the image… as I noted your fan-girlish attitude towards DxO clouds your judgement… whitelevel tag is 101 for proper scaling of data when converting to linear DNG and accounting for what you put in whitelevel tag is 101 also …

PS: see down below direct reference to Adobe DNG standard that is disrespected in some quarters

it does indicate to a raw converter dealing with linear DNG where the clipping points are … and 50K-something as produced by DxO PL6.9 is NOT near any clipping for scaled 16bit uint data values, not even if some idiot decides to ignore values given in whitepoint tag because then that ignorant SOB needs to assume ~65535 as a clipping point , what else for 16 bit uint ?

Adobe does proper job by respecting whitepoint tag… DxO does shitty job by neither scaling properly ( for at least X-T5 model RAF to linear DNG ) nor indicating how it scaled by putting a correct whitepoint tag …

Adobe raw converters pay attention to 0xc61d WhiteLevel

it is in DNG specification, JoAnna - please for once TRY to educate yourself before posting ?

Let me try to help you = https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/photoshop/pdf/DNG_Spec_1_7_0_0.pdf

see
WhiteLevel
Tag 50717 (C61D.H)

this is also from that same DNG specification… DxO just needs to follow the plain english here ( scale and tag as you told to do by senior komrades from Adobe ) and btw - write blacklevel tag too, it does not help to skip things

wild guess : Down under? somehow i have an itch your also on other forums and ive seen you there. can’t pinpoint yet…the way of writing and type of knowledge :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

anyway i hope someone from DXO Staff drops in to make some thru and false remarks

somebody ( topic starter ) shall file a bug report - the case was clearly illustrated … the fix is expected

There is detail in the sky. Makes a mess of the image revealing it, but its there.

it is was not what was troubling the topic starter… topic starter was troubled that linear DNG generated by DxO PL when used in Adobe’s LR was exhibiting a classic magenta skies symptom… it was clearly explained and demonstrated by your very own resident expert ( :smiling_face: ) that the reason is the bug in DxO PL that for this particular model does not properly generate linear DNG files ( combination of whitepoint tag and scaling of demosaicked data ) and NOT with Adobe’s raw converters which rightfully expect linear DNG files to comply with DNG standards and conventions …

It’s done.

I did look.

White level for a 16-bit image is 65535.

George

Why should I bother? I use DxO PhotoLab and Topaz Photo AI for 99% of my work, mainly printing for myself and other photographers, and have plenty of satisfied customers. I stopped using Adobe products years ago, when they switched to subscription and have never looked back.

I don’t know why but you seem determined to be rude to all and sundry, which doesn’t make for good relations in the groups. So unfriendly, you even hide your profile details to avoid being identified for the rude person you seem to be.

2 Likes