Public computer installation

You need to ask DxO about that because it can’t be done by a mere mortal user.

Then try get a license from DxO, explicitly restricted to that one machine – and the code cannot be used otherwise.

I already asked them and it’s not yet possible, that’s why I create this feature request.

The response from DxPL is encouraging and enlightened but they need to give you a patch so that the copy you are using in the club does not display a licence code under any circumstances or as @Wolfgang suggested is a single user licence that effectively only belongs to that machine.

Sorry @yarc I jut saw your later post.

In which case, don’t hold your breath. I’d suggest that a feature request like this is too niche to get on DxO’s ‘to do’ list any time soon, if ever.

Either way, it’s now a little closer to be done than if I hadn’t asked :smile:

I hate to disappoint you but I have been following this site extensively every day for over 6 years. I don’t believe you are closer to getting it done than if you hadn’t asked. It is not likely to ever be implemented.

Mark

1 Like

@yarc
You may install the software on 2 or 3 pc’s depending the version. So you can use them all up in the club.

George

First, contact DxO directly to get their reaction. That’s really the bottom line in terms of what’s permitted, and they may be interested in this from a marketing angle. Anyway, if you need a custom splash screen, etc., that’s who can do this.

Second, a practical take from someone who’s written about software for decades – although this is NOT legal advice of course! When it comes down to it, what most (although not all) individual user EULAs mean is simply that the product shouldn’t be used by two different people at the same time. Having a single license installed on a single computer wouldn’t be an obvious violation as it still can only be used by one person at a time… although for this product-specific case, see ‘First’ above.

That is for a single User (person) I have PhotoLab on a desktop and a laptop but I am the only user and only one is in use at anyone time.

You are suggesting three installations, all used by multiple people.
Not the same thing at all.

I assume the copy you have is owned by the club and not an individual person who has put their copy on a club computer. In which case they can’t use the copy on their own PC on any club night when someone else will be using that license…

So there might be two feature requests here

1. remove / obscure license on splash panel
  2. consider making some copies available to non-profits

The licensing is restricted by number of PCs the app can be installed on. That would suggest that checking is done at install time rather than runtime. I’m not saying they should have multiple users on the same PC as the licensing seems to say not - and it’s really not built as a multi user app, just based on where things are stored.

To my knowledge the PL7 don’t show the licens numbers on the splash any longer.

Ahh I see now.
The Splash upon launch do not, while the About do show them.

This is the launch splash screen, you can see it as there is the progress bar in my screenshot…
The only difference is that mine is in french and yours in english…

I’m on macOS - might it be that you are on windows?

Yes you’re right, I’m on windows maybe it’s that…