"Processing Failed for an Unknown Reason" - error message

I think we are possibly misunderstanding each other.

I have no issue transferring files between camera/sdcard and Mac either via a card reader or cable.
Indeed the file I was attempting to upload was already on the Mac hard drive and was in my rejected folder. I just hadn’t got around to deleting.

The issue is with the DxO forum in that it will not accept an upload bigger than 48mb and the .raf file I was attempting to upload is 58mb so too big for the forum.
It doesn’t matter whether I drag and drop or copy and paste. I get a warning it’s too big and to use a file sharing site and link back to that instead.
I wasn’t blaming PL5 for this. Purely stating I haven’t the time or desire/need to set up a DropBox for example to upload one image.

I’ve just read this and it’s an old and no longer present issue in so much as Apple now support Fujifilm .raf files natively. They show up just fine in Finder/file browser etc.
(Indeed iirc Affinty Photo uses the Apple native support to deal with raw files including Fujifilm versions and deals with them just fine)

Regardless it seems an issue exists and one DxO somewhat admit to regarding DeepPrime and MacOS Monterey and for me I seem to have a sometimes weird extra ‘bug’ in so much that cropping can almost guarantee a failed export vs not adding any crop.
If this is a fault with my Mac (which I can’t totally rule out because I don’t know for a fact) then the only situation that causes this fault is using DxO DeepPrime.
The other image processing/editing software I have does not result in a failure of any sort or cause the software to crash.
As far as I am concerned the culprit(s) are DeepPrime and/or Monterey.

Like I’ve already said. I will continue to use PL5 as it does what I want and one of the reasons for coming back is my desire to lose the subscription to Adobe as I’m no fan of that model.
My personal and work life mean my opportunities for photography are limited at present and I can sometimes go several weeks with no real chance to shoot and for that I reason I dislike the subscription.

Hopefully a fix is forthcoming from either DxO if it’s something they can fix or that Apple fix whatever is causing the issue in a future MacOS update and until them I will continue to use the software and hope the fix doesn’t take too long so that I can make use of one of the features that is solely part of the more expensive version of the software.

I don’t ‘need’ DeepPrime’ as I don’t find my images to be that noisy but it would still be preferable if all aspects of the software I’ve paid for worked as expected all the time and not occasionally.

Anyway, I appreciate your continued attempts to help but I feel this one is out of our scope to sort and falls on the shoulders of DxO and/or Apple.

It would be nice is someone from DxO staff joined in though to give us any indication of what’s happening with the issue. What are we waiting for Apple to fix for example and also why doesn’t PRIME work with Fujifilm files?

I think this is going to be a serious problem in the near future, and that it already is now! The new Leica M11 is supposed to have a sensor over 50 megabytes. The new Nikon Z9 is even more. I think the new Nikon Z9, and other upcoming cameras, will have huge file sizes. I suspect my upcoming .raf files will soon be too large to upload.

I don’t know what a good solution to this issue might be.

It looks to be the same issue as for the loupe (loupe is basically a very small crop). The issue is not caused by the crop itself but rather the fact that we detect that DeepPRIME doesn’t need to be applied to the full image, which leads us to ask to macOS machine learning utilities to process only a part of the image, which is the case that crashes.

To be fair to DxO I think that issue will have to fall on us the users to sort. As files get bigger and bigger I don’t think its fair to expect DxO to keep upping the limit and ultimately I guess the server space to store them.

And if we are talking silly megapixels. The Fujifilm GFX 100S is 100mp and Phase One do a 150mp camera Stunning detail by all accounts but a stunning price too. the P1 is something like £50000.

Ok. Thanks for the further Information. Is this something that only Apple can fix then or can we conceivably expect an update for DxO in the meantime?

Can you shed any light also on why @mikemyers can process his X100f X-Trans images with DeepPRIME yet I am unable to do so with my X-T4 files?
Beyond individual hardware we are both running Monterey.

And lastly if you can. Why can we not use PRIME with our Fuji’s? Again is this related to the X-Trans sensor and is it something we will likely see ‘fixed’ at some point in the future?

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry! Can @Lucas offer some more clarification on something that has just popped into mind.

As it seems the ‘crop’ or not whole image being processed is causing issue and my own testing seems to back this up in so much as I have so far managed to process every ‘DeepPRIME’ image just fine so long as it’s not cropped.
Could I edit the image as I wish. Export as a TIFF or DNG with DeepPRIME applied then use another means to crop to the size I want and then save as JPEG for example whilst still retaining the benefits of DeepPRIME?

From my little view of the world, I can confirm that. I took yesterday morning’s photo of Miami at sunrise, downloaded the .dop file from @platypus, selected DeepPrime, exported, and all was good. I cropped off a tiny amount at the left, and exported again, and the image still exported fine. I then cropped it a lot more, and sure enough, it failed.

Since it is using only part of the image, DeepPRIME has even lest area to process, as you guys noticed, so it should work - but it doesn’t.

To show how much of the image I cropped, removing so much of my image from the left side, here’s the final result using PRIME only:

I think I agree with @Lucas, but as I see it, applying the crop breaks PL5.

So, I cropped away most of the image, and exported - with DeepPRIME it crashed, almost immediately, but with PRIME it worked. Here’s how little of the image remained:

So, I cropped even more, but this time DeepPRIME worked, as did PRIME:

Very, very strange…

Indeed. But if you will buy these new-fangled thingumabobs… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m not sure what you mean???

Like installing a new version of the OS before its had all its kinks ironed out :woozy_face: :wink:

1 Like

We could have a workaround but we are trying to get feedback from Apple to know if the time we’d spend on our side to do (and then later undo) the workaround would be wasted in case a fix is coming in next macOS version.

The crash depends on the processed area, so it may work or not depending on the size and position of your crop, just like @mikemyers noticed.

Because it would have been significant additional work and that DeepPRIME is always better (assuming it doesn’t crash). Even for speed, in the future Macs will most likely always have a Neural Engine so it’ll remain much faster than PRIME.

Indeed you could. Please note that although this does not look to be happening at the moment, we’re not 100% sure that with full images, the bug may not also happen in some specific cases.

There are so many other bugs in Monterey that I expect there will be a software update very soon. I’m now running Version 12.0.1, and hopefully within the next week or so, we will get an update. There are a lot of things not yet available in Monterey (many screen savers are broken, and the ability to use an iPad for a second screen hasn’t been turned on), because the code isn’t finished. I’m sure Apple wants to get all of this done soon - I’m glad they released Monterey now, rather than next month, but we just need to find work-arounds for a while longer.

Fair enough. hopefully you get something useful from them sooner rather than later.

Cool. I didn’t expect an issue but wondered whether the double export could introduce degraded quality.

Ultimately the images I have so far exported using ‘High Quality’ have been fine, but they weren’t noisy anyway. Should I feel the need for DeepPRIME I will just try the export and then crop method and see how it goes.

Not sure we will see anything that soon but Apple have recently seeded Beta 2 of 12.1 which is a fairly sizeable version jump from 12.0.1 it seems.
Hopefully it brings some good news for the issues we are having.

Yeah I tried every variation of it seems that no matter if you do a lot of corrections or not at all the problem still exist.

Are you adding a crop of any sort to your edits?

I am only seeing failed DeepPRIME exports when I have applied a crop.
Admittedly however those images had minimal editing done so that’s not to say I wouldn’t have issues with more heavily edited images whether they have been cropped or not.

If @Lucas is still checking in on this thread can you confirm whether DxO have tried the recently seeded MacOS Monterey 12.1 Beta and if so has it solved the DeepPRIME/loupe issue?

Unfortunately it’s not fixed yet, however we just got feedback from Apple and they’re on it.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed sooner rather than later then. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Did anyone ever find a resolution… so disheartening to have the same problems on unresolved since I switched from Big Sur …

It’s not a “resolution”, but until this is fixed I just switch to PRIME if the DeepPRIME doesn’t work. Apparently Apple has a long list of things to work on, regarding completing Monterey.

In our tests we do not reproduce anymore the crash with macOS 12.1 released this week. So you should be able to export with DeepPRIME and, in a coming update of PhotoLab 4 & 5, the loupe will be re-enabled.

2 Likes

Actually it is macOS Monterey 12.0.1

I need to do the update later today - great that Apple has fixed this for us.
Thanks for the update, @Lucas

The updated and fixed version is macOS 12.1.
macOS 12.0.1 is the version for which DeepPRIME loupe/crop can crash and which was released last October.