PL7: What's the best improvement in your experience?

PL 7 implementation of Local Adjustment seems like the beginning of many tweaks and changes for the upcoming releases, which stems from not well tested or though out attempt to solve older issues with local adjustment in order to add new features and functionality. Until they iron out the bugs and tweak the UI and all that, we seem to be stuck with annoying quirks and un,intuitive solutions to problems that were not there.

Lately I’m watching many companies take this route. As if the perception on the market to create pressure for product managers is to to put out new features before they are ready or just to grab headlines, leading to breaking of stuff that worked fine. Originally I was pleased to see DXO stayed more on the minimal but important updates for pro user base, but after week or two of playing with it, although less than usual, I would say the local adjustments are the biggest UI change that comes with birthing pains and before it finds the proverbial sea legs, we seem to be stuck with various bugs and quirks. At least the core functionality seems to work, but needs polish to the UI and logic of working with new set up.

1 Like

Smithy; you may be interested in adding your vote to these suggestions for “fixes” to PLv7 … to help make it a more comfortable and effective application.

John

It has been clear, to me at least, for several years now that this is one of the main drivers behind DxO’s strategy.

1 Like

Best improvement?

Can’t say for sure yet.
I like the new LA setup, but I dislike the merger of Color Accentuation with HSL.
I like improved speed compared to DPL5, but I miss speed improvement vs DPL6
I greatly dislike the dimmed, hard to read user interface
I still miss features that improve the dependability of DPL (DB maintenance etc.)
I still miss easier to use and more comprehensive (operators!) search

6 Likes

Are you running PL7 with Windows 10? It was my understanding Windows 11 was required. If I can get by with 10, that would be great.

Windows 11 is not required and why’d it be with <= 25% market share ( of all Windows versions ) vs 70% of W10 which is still officially fully supported by M$ with patches ?

1 Like

10 is OK if still a MS supported version

About every softwares run win10 and win11. And this will continue for years I’m pretty sure.
Win10 (and sometime but hardly win7) is still used by lot of companies as their current os.

Yes. Running Windows 10, no need for Windows 11.

I will try to find some more time in the next few days, since I’m working on other projects, mostly video and motion graphics so I’m not using DXO much at the moment, but I’ll try to experiment more and get some feedback when I find some free time. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your comments. This is great news. The misunderstanding was mine. I did not read carefully enough.

What does this mean for my pics where I used Saturation and Vibrancy when I want to “re-work” them? Are the settings simply gone?

From what was told above (or in an other thread), if you open an image like this, V7 “import” takes into account global vibrancy and saturation plus global (opposed to LA) HSL saturation and vibrancy and mixes those 2 different settings in the only panel left, which is global HSL saturation and vibrancy.

So yes, you should be able to start from the same rendering and modify it.
But you’ll have to use global HSL panel to do it.

As @JoPoV explains, you won’t lose your previous settings - BUT, they’ll be merged & mixed-up with global HSL settings … which then makes it very difficult to independently assess the impact of Sat & Vib and HSL settings !! … So, not a good outcome - See more on the implications here.

Thank you: the kind of response I was hoping to see. I agree with you on some of these. Peter.

I’ve noticed that in screenshots by Mac-users … It’s also evident in the new UI for FilmPack and revamped Nik Tools.

What’s driving this change ? - Making the UI harder to read seems to be a rather curious “progression” backwards.

1 Like

I would hazard a guess at two factors. The developers are using Macs with glossy high contrast Apple screens set at >350cdm2 and are saying “why don’t these people get new glasses”.

Second factor is the developers value Form over Function and so go for trendy grey on black, dark red on black etc. Form over Function gives you a very lovely light blue mask which is unfortunately unusable, but it is very pretty.

3 Likes

I hope developers of graphics softwares (in the largest possible meaning) are aware of everything related to color management (software and hardware) … but …

1 Like

You are probably right. However, the only thing that I use Lightroom masking for consistently is darkening skies a bit (and that only recently, when they provided for curve adjustments). I find that DXO does a good job in making skies look OK (I don’t now whether it’s clearview or exposure that does the job, but it seems to work. DXO noise reduction is good enough to be kept on permanently (although I think that the Lightroom version is pretty good). 7 has very limited improvements over 6. The various colour palettes / LUTs are not my particular bag. I’d rather they spent a bit more time on getting a reliable auto white balance to work.

In the end, for the sort of landscape work that I use DXO for, it does a useful job, quickly. 7 seems to be a bit faster, but I don’t like the changes in interface (eg, I need to let go the adjustment button for fine contrast before it takes. The perspective / straightening feature is flexible but not quite as good as Lightroom’s when it comes to auto settings (although even that used to be better in the past). However, it takes a bit of time to gain confidence with an App. Lightroom is a bit boring but solid. DXO is nearer to the Topaz Labs apps, in the sense that you need to check the results to make sure it didn’t mess up. (Eg noise reduction on a Mac was broken for long time.)

I confirm. Import in V7 correctly retains the Saturation and VIbrancy settings of images edited with V6, and moves them to the new panel.