PhotoLab 7 And MacOS Big Sur

I downloaded the demo of Photolab 7, but when attempting to install I was told that it that I need to update my Mac OS. Sadly, my machine can’t take a more current version of the OS. So, does this mean no Photolab 7 for those of us with older systems?

Nowhere on the DXO website, does it mention macOS version compatibility, at least not that I can find.

1 Like

Welcome to the real world.

Please note that data given in the compatibility table is a mix of technical compatibility/limits and service life…while the minimal os version limit is rather hard, older versions of PhotoLab can run on OS versions that are marked as unsuitable.

Yes, DxO have horrible OS support. Graphic design, music and video editors mostly do better to stay two versions behind for stability, if not three or four, as well as legacy plugins. DxO is running at the least the Mac world on current -1 or best case current -2.

I almost gave up on PhotoLab when DxO dropped support for Mojave (last official OS for Mac Pros, which I had fitted out with Radeon VII) with PhotoLab 5. If I didn’t regularly shoot very high ISO sets and like the app so much I would have.

DxO does not respect our investments or the pro workflow (which means not running the latest OS, latest OS is for tech reviewers, not artists, musicians and photographers).

1 Like

thanks to Apple on one hand (i’m kidding here) for introducing new OS every year instead of doing like Windows.
on the other hand, you got like 2 years of support from Apple (7 yrs of support) then what comes after is only if they add a security update. 9-10 yrs is kind a max use of a machine anyway. just too bad most MAC reach that limit.

here’s link of dxo
https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/categories/4406548305809-Compatibility-system-requirements

PL7
Minimum system configuration:

• Any CPU
  • 8GBRAM
  • 4 GB available disk space
  • 1280 x 768 display
  • macOS 12.6.8 (Monterey)

Recommended system configuration:

• M1
• 16 GB RAM

• 4 GB available disk space
  • 1920 x 1080 display
  • macOS 12.6.8 (Monterey)
  • For DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD: M1 or Intel® Mac with AMD RadeonTM Pro RX5700
1 Like

There was absolutely nothing wrong in terms of performance with either my 6-core or 12-core Mac Pro with Radeon RX580 and Radeon VII respectively. The latter was much more fluid under PhotoLab 4 than my M1 Max with PhotoLab 5/6. “More fluid” means the speed at which the sliders update when in the middle of a complex edit.

No excuses for DxO to fail to support more versions of the OS. It’s cost me money but it’s also cost DxO money. I no longer go out and shill for them, buy the minimum I can and have a neutral position towards the software instead one of enthusiastic support.

My sympathy on this. Apple support for Big Sur has very recently ceased so I don’t expect DxO will feel motivated to do anything about it.

What’s your point?

Simply expressing my opinion that PL 7is not going to work with versions of Mac OS before Monterey, that’s all.

if you haven’t bought a new camera and PL support what you already have, then you can still do what you already do, as long as your computer can run. mine was already 10yrs old so i had to replace it, FP and VP version i had were not compatible on M chips so i had to upgrade them. so did some other software, unfortunately.

Not all is lost in every case: DxO PhotoLab 1.2.3 Version 82 Crashing on my new MacBook Pro 13 inch M1 Silicon after each image - #2 by platypus

I suppose this is just an example of built in obsolescence. My otherwise perfectly functional Mac will be abandoned by providers meaning I don’t get to use the latest tools (current Office 365 not supported either). There are workarounds, but they isolate you in terms of skills with newer tools. Mind you, how many Windows PCs are still working after 10 years?

For DXO… it looks like you’ll not get any further $$ from me as, when my Mac kicks the bucket, I’m going to attempt to live with my iPad Pro.

1 Like