Part 2 - Off-Topic - advice, experiences, and examples for images being processed in DxO Photolab

Beautiful - wish I could be there with you.

Me? I went to the nearby bagel shop, and brought my 16mm fisheye. Have’t used it in decades…

780_5737 | 2024-06-22.nef (30.1 MB)
780_5737 | 2024-06-22.nef.dop (13.3 KB)

Included in the camera’s EXIF, here displayed in Finder’s Info panel for a file.

Where the picture was taken

Your folder hierarchy already contains this

What (who?) is the picture of.

Likewise, your folder hierarchy refers to this

What company/facility/whatever is/was involved

Either use your folder hierarchy or add it to the keywords

Color or B&W ?

Strictly not necessary as virtual all cameras record in colour, but you could add “B&W” as a keyword.

If I wanted to search for all my photos of insert name here_ that would be handy

Again you can put this in keywords.

PhotoMechanic’s ability to show me a gazillion thumbnails at a time is great

If that is all you need, you can even use Finder.

My app is capable of showing all images in a complete hierarchy including all its sub-folders e.g.

Over 14,000 images scrollable without changing the selected folder…

Just one page of all images for the month of May 2018…

I can use my app for searching, or I can use Finder’s extensive search. Here are the searchable attributes that you can choose from using Finder’s Spotlight search engine - automatically updated as soon as you copy files to your disk…

Given that most of your requirements can be met by using your directory structure and keywords, all you really need is a means of adding keywords, which is what my app provides - along with star ratings, Finder Tags and Descriptions.

Well, why not?
You make a very strong case for using your app.
The idea of seeing all those thumbnails based on selection criteria is very intriguing.

Remember that according to Mark, I’m barely able to brush my teeth.
I might not be the brightest person to test out your software.

What happens with your software if I move around folders, and create sub-folders. Will your app recognize these changes and adapt accordingly?

If I create a lightroom (or whatever I call it) folder for all those gazillion photos that used by edited with Lightroom, and if I move some of those folders around, to organize them better, will it break your app? Or will your app notice the change, and adapt - something Lightroom did not do very well.

All my app does is show whatever folder structure you create in Finder.

There is no file or folder management, it’s not necessary, as you do all that management in Finder. As soon as you reopen my app after making changes, my app simply reads the new structure. The principle is to let what is already there do what it does best, rather than keeping on reinventing the wheel.

The search uses Apple’s amazing Spotlight mechanism, which is constantly being updated, so no need to worry about database corruption

1 Like

Just having fun with bits and pieces of PhotoLab…

780_5744 | 2024-06-22.nef (32.3 MB)
780_5744 | 2024-06-22.nef.dop (15.4 KB)

It took almost a dozen shots until I got one that I liked.
The whole plan for today was to walk around with my ancient 16mm f/2.8D fisheye until I found something I liked. The bagel bakery doesn’t count, but this shot I kept trying from different directions until one of them “clicked”. Very, very old lens. The biggest problem was it was well over 90 degrees, and I was starting to feel faint and funny from being out in the sun. All those sensations vanished whenever I raised my camera to my eye.

Got my shot, got home, made lunch, and enjoyed my bagel - but only after uploading my images.

I went into FilmPack6, looking for how to create round images, but this is better than what I was trying to create.

After a lot of thinking, I feel your app will be perfect for me, and I will not install a new working Lightroom structure. I’ll send you a few questions tomorrow.

@mikemyers , did you check the DxO PL tutorials provided by Chris Wright?

In my opinion, Chris is doing it very well. He explains the most functions in DxO in deep and what is really good to me is, he compairs the functions in details. And Chris uses these tools very carefully and cautiously. Perhaps this tutorial will also help you.

Not forgetting that these videos reflect his personal usage and, like most tutorials, should not be taken as the only way to do things. From a quick scan of a couple of his videos, he is not always accurate in what he says so, as with any other tutorials, you really need to verify what the tutor says before believing them.

1 Like

Joanna, you’re right, nobody is perfect. Chris’s tutorials are just one of many sources. I use the tutorials as a starting point for my own research, tests and experiments.

Your link doesn’t work with me.

George

what is the error message?

I come in a loop. Another login page.

And the adresbar mentions Vorburg Login

George

Corrected in PL…

Verticals might be straight(er) but folks have got fatter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dramatic!

Now it’s working.

George

enjoy. Feedback is very welcome.

ISO 1000, shutter speed 1/1000 at focal length 16mm. Please, just for my learning, why did you choose these settings? I would have chosen ISO 100 and at 16mm focal length there is no risk of blur due to camera shake. I would have chosen a shutter speed of approx. 1/200.

1 Like

Certainly - “m.smugmug.com” …which I need to update.
I apologize for being so “behind” on it. I used to do better.

many thanks, much appreciate.

No, it didn’t show up in my searches, or I missed it.
Will check it out later today.
Much of what I know has come to me via @Joanna
Then there were the tutorials by “PhotoJoseph”.
Until recently, I had stopped searching for “more”.

Most of what I have found recently was apparently not very complete, as I read the criticisms here, but most of them make for interesting reading, and ways to compare what they say with what I already do. The single most productive source of information (since PL3) has been @Joanna. Second, sometimes tied, is PhotoJoseph and his Webinars. Most people in this forum don’t post their photos - maybe they are experts, or maybe they are “armchair photographers”. Me? I don’t usually experiment, but every so often, like the fisheye photo I just posted, left me wandering through much of DxO’s toolbox. I couldn’t find what I wanted, but did find other fun tools.

Maybe ten years ago, there were several programs that converted fisheye photographs into lovely ultra-wide-angle photos.

Start with this page:
https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1628af.htm

Scroll 2/3 of the way down the page until you see:
" Use with Fisheye Hemi"

Hover your cursor over the photos, and you’ll see the “corrected” version.

Fisheye Hemi was one of several programs that made fascinating photos out of “fisheye” views. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a current source for any of them. I did find a few that worked in conjunction with other software (PhotoLab, if I remember correctly), but no standalone programs which is what I wanted. Unless I can find a “Time Machine”, I don’t know how to find that software - and there are others on ‘www.dpreview.com’ also searching. I gave up - will try again later today.