Part 2 - Off-Topic - advice, experiences, and examples for images being processed in DxO Photolab

With the Leica, it will override a limiting shutter speed set for Auto-ISO in aperture priority mode if it thinks it knows best - their description was in firmware 3.1 was to “give priority to correct exposure”. All too often it would drop it below my 1/125 setting to 1/60, or even 1/30 rather than raise the ISO so I’d have camera shake. I lost too many shots that way so took back control of the shutter as well, leaving Auto-ISO on.

The dynamic range of the sensor is immense for this little camera and DxO is so good for handling higher ISO, I generally:

1. set aperture for the DoF I want
  2. set shutter so I have/ do not have motion blur depending on what I want
  3. umm. That’s it

I categorize that as “ketchup is always better” and “beer is always better”. :grin:

The exposure compensation button (± button?) is always consistent and not temporarily, at least on my Nikons. Anything else wouldn’t be practical when shooting series. But do it like you’re used to.

Excellent. On few occasions I prefer fixed ISO:

• creating panoramas
  • preparing focus stacks
  • some kind of test shots

Else, always Auto-ISO

Thanks for your advice, Mark, but I disagree, and I have no idea what other software I would prefer. I also need to re-learn how to use DarkTable, to help my friends in India get set up with it. Being Open Source Software, there is no up-front cost, so I expect they will enjoy DarkTable as much as they currently enjoy Google’s (free) version of Nik.

As for me, I’ve been using PhotoLab since version 3, and I see no reason to change. Regardless of what you feel, I enjoy using PhotoLab, and have bought most of the add-on packages when I thought they might be useful.

So, thanks for the advice, but no thanks.

What’s your point? I mostly use what I need to use, and I mostly prefer to try to get things right in the camera. PhotoLab takes the images I captured, and prepares for me to use them. I suppose other editors would do the same, but I enjoyed PhotoLab much more than Lightroom, which is what I used to use. I still have Lightroom and six or seven other image editors, and my preference is still PhotoLab.

I mean, thanks for your advice, I guess, but no thanks. Maybe PhotoLab seems more intuitive to help me get what I want. Besides, I like supporting DxO. Maybe I’ll even buy version 8.

While I agree with you about Auto-ISO, I find myself constantly checking what settings it wants to use. If there’s any doubt, I turn it off. I’d rather use Manual, and have to verify all the settings are acceptable. If I’m wandering around, not knowing what photo I might take next, with one click I can turn Auto-ISO on/off, and sometimes this is very helpful, but sometimes it selects things I don’t want.

Even if the ISO gets much too high for my own good, PhotoLab keeps things useable with my new Nikon. For my old cameras - well, not so much. I love my older cameras, but they’ve mostly been retired. Not all photos are planned - some are “grab shots”, and auto-iso is a little extra insurance that the image will be acceptable.

Yes and you are free to do whatever you want. But you are completely missing the points I and others have made with regard to your threads. After having made those points too many times already, I have no intention of rehashing them again. I’m afraid you just don’t get it

Mark

Addendum: The fact that you just gave me a thumbs up on this post just further illustrates how little you understand of what I and others have been saying.

OK, fine, let’s just assume I don’t get it.
Let’s stop discussing this.
If you feel this is a useless discussion, why add to it?
I certainly do not feel that way.

If you use A mode, then the other dial wheel can be set to exposure correction. A fast way to correct exposure. That correction is set back to zero again when the camera is switched off or going to sleep. I can’t use this way of operating when set to M: there’s no free wheel.

George

@mikemeyers
Perhaps a site such as cameraderie.org/forums would be a better site to discuss non-DxO topics.

There’s a Nikon forum for you to argue about “Live-view” and other Nikon minutia.
There’s a cafe forum for you to argue about your definition of a “photo”.
There’s a general help forum for you to learn about bird photography, perhaps even using Live-view for bird and action-related photography.
There are general forums for you to learn about DOF control and even the basics of processing that’s common to all editors such as tone curve, white balance, and cropping.
There is even help on Darktable. This would be one possible way for you to help your friends in India. Certainly not appropriate for DxO-sponsored forums.

Keeping these topics out of the DxO PL discussions would make it much easier to find the Photolab tips and resources that many of us are here to find.

I encourage you to find other outlets for these non-DxO questions and ramblings.

1 Like

Now I see how spoilt I am by using lenses with aperture rings and having enough dials… (no, not in Nikon-world) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

So it’s too much of an effort to push the ± button before turning a wheel? And it’s practical to loose the EC setting each time you switch off the camera? Yes, why not, if you’re comfortable with…

First, why would anyone with serious questions about PhotoLab deliberately ask in a topic that is clearly labeled “Off-Topic”?

There is a better way to accomplish what you suggest.

Posting a NEW TOPIC about some specific function in PhotoLab would keep that discussion in one place, and be easier to find for future users who do a search of the existing threads. That would accomplish your goal instantly.

This thread, and the one it replaced, were both labeled “off-topic”, and trying to find a specific discussion in this topic is rather difficult, if not impossible.

“off topic” does not mean “off Photolab”.

I can understand some of the field photography and general post-processing questions as they relate to getting the best quality photo using the Photolab tools.

The ridiculous discussions regarding Liveview and photo definitions are embarrassing and add no value to understanding DxO products (or photo processing in general).
I appreciate @joanna and others efforts to coach you, but this is not the forum space when supported by DxO’s efforts and money. I suspect @mwsilvers is correct.

Yeah, it’s all pretty silly when people here can’t even accept the dictionary definition of “what is a photograph”. I guess that’s life. We have very different definitions of “ridiculous”.

In my world, if I do everything properly in my camera, the only thing I will usually need PhotoLab for is to take my captured raw image, apply the needed corrections (such as lens corrections), and to save the raw file as a jpg image which I can share with others. Or, to use PhotoLab to apply some artistic tools that my camera can’t achieve due to various limitations.

Someone here suggested checking out other image editors, and I found a whole new world in DarkTable. I don’t plan to switch, but I would like a back-up editor, and I need to be ready to teach others how to use DarkTable in a few months.

Suggestion - let’s just agree to disagree on some things, and move on. We all want to use PhotoLab, for our individual reasons and purposes. That’s why we are here.

Repeating this from earlier… PhotoLab Cafe

@sloweddie - if the main purpose is based on discussing our PhotoLab processed images, it fits into what DxO has suggested for these forums. I hope you create a new PhotoLab Cafe thread, explain what it is for/about, and those who want to participate can do so, and others can ignore it. I think it would be a wonderful addition to the PhotoLab Forums. Anyone using PhotoLab to edit their images could post their images, discuss them, and ask for advice.

You (or I?) can write to the appropriate people at DxO and get their reaction to this idea. If you want me to, I’ll do so tomorrow morning (Monday). Just send me a reminder and I’ll do so. I hope I still have the appropriate email of the person I would write to…

I´m not all that sure that DXO Staff is reading this tread at all.

Mike: the "dictionary definition does not say anything about representing “reality”. We all understand that there are many subjective decisions that must go into even the most simple “photograph”; many of which were pointed out above. Since you are using DxO to process your images, rather than the camera’s JPG, you are not even showing us a “true” photo by your definition.

On old stubborn mule once told me: “You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can’t make then think,”

For 100%. Mostly EC corrections are very specific for that moment. Only in the M-mode one can see that the EC has another value as 0 on the exposure bar. Invisible in the other modes.
My going lens is a 28-70 2.8 with aperture ring. But switched off :blush:
Be careful not to think of it your way as the blissful one.

George

Then do consider: yours is also not the blissful one.

Exactly. It’s YOUR problem, not mine. Sorry for trying to help.

Since your post 1584 to @danielfrimley you’re making all kind of assumptions, wrong assumptions.

George

What would be wrong with DxO having a “cafe” thread? This DxO forum is sort of a family and I think many of its participants have personal human interest stories to tell that many others would find fascinating to read. And by its nature it would have some educational content.

@Stenis told of geographic changes happening in the Nordic countries that [probably] most people are not aware of. @Joanna is a great writer and I, for one, would love to read more of what she could tell us about France and her experiences there, along with more of her “snapshot” pictures of interesting places!

Of course, any photos posted would be fair game for participants to comment on, thereby possibly creating a learning experience as well as presenting the human interest perspective.