Part 2 - Off-Topic - advice, experiences, and examples for images being processed in DxO Photolab

Mark, someone has to tell you - dang, I guess it’s me – we’re simply not old enough and also undercomplicated to understand the fully potential of the next hot sh…t in snapping-town-. Crop as if there’s no tomorrow and hop straight towards of “meaningless, wrong and completely free of any creative idea”, that’s the new MM style. Cheerio…

Thank you for your words of wisdom. When might you post your most wonderful images?

When I get a decent internet connection I will upload a good image from yesterday, which I expect you will like.

It’s not a contest and you certainly don’t have to post anything to please me. Most importantly you just need to please yourself. Knowing that you have captured some very nice images over your photographic life, I was mostly just surprised that you would want to share such a poor image with us.

If I had not been familiar with many of the images from your website and knew what you were capable of producing, my comments about that particular photo would not have been as harsh.

Mark

i have found an other word which triggers the moderator waitinglist.
geesh this word is non agressive nor avensive.

well i wait until it’s passed. :slight_smile:

Others may or may not like it - but it is exactly what I wanted to capture.

If my network signal improves, I will post the .nef file.

780_4619 | 2024-04-23.nef (33.3 MB)

780_4619 | 2024-04-23.nef.dop (14.6 KB)

It may or may not be what anyone here wants to see, but it is exactly the image I wanted to capture. D780.

Anyone is free to play around with other variations of the image. To me, it looks like a “floating world”.

you need to ‘mirror’ your watermark :slight_smile: :upside_down_face:

If you want to hide white trucks, don’t use a vague, unselective, control point with a blur, as they just stand out even more. That’s what the repair tool is for…

I didn’t use your .dop file. Like @Joanna I removed the trucks which were a major distraction n this otherwise bucolic scene. I removed them quick and dirty so if you zoom in very close it may be noticeable. My version is uncropped. Your version seemed a bit too flat for my taste so I slightly increased exposure, decreased contrast and increased fine contrast. played with smart lighting, added a bit of sharpening and played with the tone curve. I wanted greater dimensionality and lushness with a bit more detail and late afternoon glow.

Mark

I agree, but I find most feedback from real photographers helpful. Then there the jokesters pretending.

I never thought of using that tool to remove the cars. Brilliant!!!

I captured what I think was a great photo of the full moon, but I don’t dare post it. A D780 with a 300mm lens would bring out the pixel police. But I think it is everything I hoped it would be!

Today’s bird photos on the other hand are also everything I hoped for. Will edit and post tomorrow, along with a very photogenic dragon fly. All of you are right, the D3 would have failed. I have grudgingly accepted that. Sigh……

Brilliant!!!

I will try.
ThankYou.

Two photos from yesterday, if I can get my miserable network connection to cooperate… I will post the jpg images here, then in the next reply try to eventually post the .nef files.

I guess that for anything serious, my D3 is now retired. The D780 does what I expected, and much more. Photos were both hand-held with 300mm lens. Both photos are from DSLR mode. They both look better the larger I view them.

And, just to show that I am also busy creating an exhibition, here are three abstracts from a series on a local cider brewers…

1 Like

The first image I don’t understand. The other two make sense to me. The liquid coming out of the tap - is it as clear as it appears to be?

That first image is a total puzzle to me…

Detail of something like this: https://hpcbristol.net/image-library/large/ru02-08.jpg

How do you get cider into a barrel?

It is freshly pressed ripe apple juice so, it is an amber colour. You throw freshly pulped apples into the press, then use a hydraulic ram to squeeze the content of the press to extract the juice…

Hmmm. could be difficult collecting the juice :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Although I can see a crater on a planet with another planet in the sky - or have I been drinking too much of the local cider? :woozy_face:

Your comment about @Joanna images once again addresses the issue you have understanding the concept of abstracts which we discussed at length in the past. Here is one simple definition of abstract art. Perhaps this will help you.

Abstract art is “Art that does not attempt to represent external reality, but seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, forms, colors, and textures”.

Your attempt to always analyze abstracts to identify the real world source that was used is the issue. That is irrelevant for the appreciation of abstracts. What makes abstracts worth looking at is the way light and shadows play on the various abstract components mentioned above. .

In this case, though, @Joanna’s abstracts do represent some aspects of reality. The image you are having a problem with is a plug hole in the side of a cider barrel.

Mark

2 Likes

Thanks Mark. Next time, I must remember not to bother with the explanation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: