Open individual file rather than directory - impossible?

Here you have the lik to what I wrote in this forum after we had solved the problem with importing more than one image at the time from PM Plus to PL4 (last summer)

Integration between Photolab 4 and Photomechanic Plus DAM just got better - DxO PhotoLab - DxO Forums

Here you have a link to the support discussion I had with Kirk Baker at Camera Bits. Below a quote of Kirks answer from June 21 2021. So you need a build number >=5998. Lower numbers has still the problem.

Your fix in build 5998 seem to work fine and solve the problem where only one image earlier could be transfered to Photolab 4 at the time using the “Edit”-function.

DxO PhotoLab and Photo Mechanic Plus (camerabits.com)

Re: DxO PhotoLab and Photo Mechanic Plus

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 03:42:54 PM »

Stenis,

Quote from: Stenis on June 21, 2021, 03:35:01 PM

Your fix in build 5998 seem to work fine and solve the problem where only one image earlier could be transfered to Photolab 4 at the time using the “Edit”-function.

• If I just select one image in PMPlus only the Edit alternatives for one image occurs in two version though (maybee one is specified under preferences and the other works through Windows fileattributes I dont know.

Result: In both cases only one image is imported and that’s fine and expected.

• If I select five images I see both the choises for single image import (“Edit Photo” and “Edit Photo with DxO.Photolab.exe”) and the choises for multiimage import (“Edit selected photos” and “Edit selected photos with DxO.Photolab.exe”

With five images the multi Edit imports the pictures right away in Photolab.
From six images and up there is a dialog displayed saying “Do you really want to edit all of the selected photos” with two choises: Yes and No.
If I chose “Y” the selected number of images are imported ti Photolab. That’s also fine and expected

So it definitely works but do we really need four different “Edit”-variants?
Maybee max two are needed “Edit selected Photo/Photos” (Windows file suffix triggered) and/or “Edit selected Photo/Photos with DxO.Photolab.exe”
Both these last funktions can handle both a single selection image import and and a multi selection import.

and do we really need the dialog? Doesn’t it just slow down the workflow?

but this is just a suggestion

Please see this documentation which should help you with your concerns:

Quote from: Stenis on June 21, 2021, 03:35:01 PM

The important thing was that you actually listend and fixed it and made the integration a lot better and more seamless between Photolab 4 and PM Plus 6 than before! Thank’s a lot! Hope this will be part of a new release soon.

Yes, it will be in all builds released from now on.

-Kirk

If I hadn®t got so uninspired of the antiintellectual and unconstructive tone in the beginning of this tread you could all have saved you the effort of writing say 90 massages or so in this tread discussing the issue of “Open individual file rather than directory - impossible?” .

The problems some has experienced with transferring more than one file at the time were solved in June 21 by Camera Bits and the eminent Kirk Baker after I posted a request in one of Camera Bits forums and as you can see above I also wrote about it here in DXO Forums under Photolab.

Some also had problems with my texts because they had too few question marks. I can assure you there has been many question marks in many posts both from me and others in the discussions at Camera Bits and here at DXO Forums when we in joint efforts have tried to build a common “best practice” when it comes to both metadata issues and interoperability between Photolab 5 and Photo Mechanic and whatever other products people fancy to use to solve exactly tihs question that has been discussed in this tread.

For a happier and more constructive New Year

Stenis

@Stenis I was also using an out of date version of Photo Mechanic which prolonged the agony somewhat, sorry. However, the tests showed that not all programs are created equal!

The “books” I wrote “only” earned me my salary but started with my degree thesis and went on to 5 years preparing lecture notes, then 36 years of writing/answering proposals, writing and giving courses, producing operational manuals, site audits, performance audits, system & program documentation, test & acceptance plans, monthly reports etc., the paraphernalia of a career in I.T.

In all cases the audience was demanding and paying “big bucks” for the systems I worked on, but perhaps only a little more demanding than the audience for this forum!

Happy New Year.