Off-Topic - advice, experiences and examples, for images that will be processed in PhotoLab

My photography for decades has been
“Do the best I can with whatever camera I am using.”

Am I photographer? I’ll leave that for others do decide.
I know I’m enjoying, and having fun about what I’ve been doing, and I’ve felt that way since the 1950’s.

That’s not the way I feel about it, but let’s assume that is correct, and I am enjoying taking what you call “rescued snapshots”.

I’m pleased with the end results.
…and PhotoLab made it easier and better for me to do the “rescue”. :slight_smile:

I like that description, and it fits me most of the time. If this is “bad”, or “wrong”, to some people, so be it. It fits “me”.

Oh, and the added power and control PhotoLab gave me, allows me to get what I want better and faster than all the other image editors I’ve tried - even when learning some things were a struggle for me.

Perhaps my comment was overly liberal. I was not suggesting that you should be a snapshot shooter just clicking away at anything that catches your eye in the moment in the hopes that some of them will be good. I also certainly wasn’t suggesting that all your photographs be spontaneous with little or no planning. Subject choice, and composition is critical to a good photograph.

The problem I see is that the overwhelming majority of the photographs you’ve posted since you’ve been here are not particularly interesting, while a great many of your images from your website captured years ago are very much better in that regard. That goes beyond whether your images are spontaneous or planned. Your Leica is a terrific street photography camera, but the best camera in the world is useless if you capture uninteresting photos with it. Before you write my comments off as a matter of personal preference, keep in mind I am comparing your current photography to your own earlier photography.

Mark

To me, the intent of most of my images posted here were to learn how to use PhotoLab, not to show off a great image. Some of my images I liked for their own sake, but the overwhelming majority were posted to learn how to use the tools better. For example, all the images in trying to use CONTROL LINES properly.

When I start using my Leica or Fuji again, the first thing I will do is just take lots of photos, to get used to using the camera again, and re-learn what I forgot.

My SmugMug gallery is where I’ve been posting my favorite images, but I haven’t updated it in a long time.

Even the D780 - maybe others can read the manual, and know what to do, but I learn mostly by doing, making mistakes, then correcting those mistakes. For every image I keep, I probably delete 20 which were more for “testing”.

While the above is a partial explanation, I agree with what you wrote except for one thing:

I do shoot that way sometimes, but it’s almost always just “trying things out”. The way that I learn is by doing, and I guess for me, sometimes Joanna needs to beating these things into my head with a baseball hat, until they “stick”. I’m exceptionally good at MIS-understanding things, and therefore capturing JUNK. Eventually I figured out what Joanna MEANT, and that made a world of difference. Maybe I’m exceptionally slow to understand, but eventually it all starts to make sense.

When I get the Leica dusted off, I will certainly shoot away like crazy - “clicking away at anything that catches your eye in the moment”. …not in the hopes that some of them will be good", but get back to where I can capture images properly without having to stop and think about everything. If I shoot something many times until I get it right, that is fine by me - the junk images get deleted while I’m using PhotoMechanic.

If PhotoLab had a “gallery section”, hardly any of my posted images would have gone there - but to me, the best way to learn is to try to do what is correct, and use the feedback from others to improve. I guess I’m taking advantage of the people in the forum, finding out things that should have been done correctly.

To the extent that it is possible, I’d like to “get it right in the camera”, but since digital is “free”, I’ll keep shooting at something I care about, if possible, until I’m satisfied.

Last thought - this sums up your thoughts very well, to me:

A huge percent of images I’ve posted here recently I would never even think to post on my website. My Colorado images, and animal photos, and train photos I love. I liked some of my Biscayne Bay photos too. But especially for the last year or so, I think 90% or more were “practice images”. I treat them as if they are all “real” images, but it was the feedback I wanted, not “compliments”.

I think my D780 and I get along very well lately, but I’m sure I’ve forgotten most of how to use my Fuji and Leica.

I am pleased with some of the images I’ve posted here over the past year - maybe this coming week I will re-post them on my gallery.

The feedback on my images I also appreciated, even if a lot of it was critical comments of how they could have been better. For better or worse, the only place I get good feedback lately for my images has been this forum. Everyone else just tells me how great they are.

I’m curious - without mentioning names, what do you think about the photos other people have posted in this thread?

Maybe you would have gotten more positive feedback if you had applied what you had leaned to better photographs. If your start with a mediocre image, you will end up with a mediocre one and that is all we will see regardless of how well you have applied what you’ve leaned.

Mark

1 Like

In retrospect, yes, I think that would have been a good idea. The most important feedback to me, was how to use the tools better, so I could use them for real, when it counts. That’s why I always uploaded the .dop files. But a gallery could be used to show off our PhotoLab edits.

This thread was intended for:
Off-Topic - Advice, experiences and examples, for images that will be processed in PhotoLab.

I like this idea - how about a new thread titled:
Gallery - Images that show how PhotoLab was used to create beautiful images ?
Everyone is welcome to contribute.

If it’s a good idea, perhaps one of you can post the suggestion for DxO to consider.

But wait, you indicated this thread was not all about you, and now you are admitting it was?

Mark

1 Like

How about not creating that thread and saving us all a lot of aggravation.

Mark.

1 Like

And do like most of us do by joining and participating in photo sharing sites, or even a local photo club, not a support group provided by DxO.

1 Like

Why would you ask that? I said I wouldn’t be posting images here.

I thought that was a good idea, but not for me.

Nope. But I will add the Joanna’s posts should be organized and made available to others who weren’t following that discussion.

Excellent idea. I’ve done that since 2022, when I learned about the zoom group.:

We submit photos by email, and then have a live/zoom meeting to discuss each photo. The photos are displayed in the Zoom meeting, and all the people who signed in for that meeting can discuss the photos, one at a time. I use Zoom, rather than drive to the meeting room, assuming they have one that time.

Sample message for the start of a recent meeting:

The next meeting is this coming Wednesday.
Feel free to join, by signing up on the web page I linked to.
Join the club, and comment.

The name of these sessions is “Frame It”.
Not sure if I’ll be submitting an image this time.

Mike, every thread you start here is about you. You still don’t seem to understand that. I don’t trust that the thread you propose would be any different. I can’t stop you from doing whatever you want, but I certainly won’t support it.

Mark

1 Like

How about going, in person, to your local club?

It’s only half an hour from you and it will give you the opportunity to get out of the house to meet other photographers and participate in outings, challenges and exhibitions.

I didn’t intend to be posting images in that thread, and haven’t posted any images in this thread for a long time. I certainly didn’t, and don’t, want to be the person who would suggest the proposed thread. It was only a suggestion. And again, I will NOT be posting images in it, if it is created, which it now seems it won’t be.

Why? Most of the members seem to do it online. I drive to the range, and to doctor’s appointments, and to visit my brother. Nowadays, for other reasons, I don’t drive very much unless I have to. I suspect you would prefer being there in person - but not me.

Not if this event is anything to go by.

Being able to have chats with other photographers, in person, with instant response, is just so stimulating when you spark off each other, but it is up to you.

If you checked, you’d find out that link leads to Kendall Camera Club, in South Miami.

The club I belong to is “South Florida National Parks Camera Club”.

According to my friend who introduced me to the club a few years ago, they also travel as a group. The meetings they have can be attended in person, or (as I do) using Zoom.

For me, using Zoom is just as good/stimulating. You’re right, it’s up to each individual. I hope to be in their next FrameIT session two days, er, nights from now.

If you were willing, I could introduce you to Delfin Hernandez, my contact person, at sfnpcc.zoom@gmail.com and maybe in a future session you can do an introduction to PhotoLab.

If you want me to, I can contact Delfin, and introduce you.

Here is more information: WHAT WE DO — SFNPCC

I know and, not knowing you already belonged to another club, my thought was it is a lot closer.

But not all meetings are zoomable.

No thanks. i am already committed, including teaching, at a local club and would never do video sessions.

In case you are interested, and awake:

I convinced a friend to change from Lightroom to PhotoLab. He called me a few hours ago, very confused about editing his finished images.

After explaining the way I’ve learned, exporting to s sub-folder in my images, he insisted that he was using a better way, exporting to a “project”, which I think I now see PhotoLab can also do.

He reminded me of how confused I used to be, not knowing where his images were, and where his “project” was. He also wanted reduce the size of the images, which I showed him.

I am curious what "project " is for, and why anyone would want to use it. I prefer keeping all my images, and the exports, in one place, with the images to be mailed out being inside the “exports” sub folder in that folder.

I’m puzzled now - what is the intended use for exporting to a Project? I have a “projects” area too, but I’ve never heard about it, let alone used it.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 22.26.35

What is the PROJECTS area intended to be used for?

You never heard of projects? You friend is an absolute newbie and he already discovered them. Why do you think that is? What do you think they are? You could try experimenting with them, looking up references to projects or you could Google it. I could tell you what they are, but then we would be back to square one where we do all the work and you put in a minimum amount of personal effort to improve your knowledge base. You figure it out for yourself. I do this for your own good. Read up on them. Practice creating and using them. After that if you still have issues you can ask us specific questions.

Mark

4 Likes