Off-Topic - advice, experiences and examples, for images that will be processed in PhotoLab

A year ago, I visited my friends in Colorado, and helped Susie buy a monopod and a 600mm lens for bird photography. While she and her husband John were working on their property, I took my D750 and her new 600mm Sigma lens, and went up into their tree-house to photograph some Pelicans in a nearby lake. I was up there for about an hour, and finally some of the Pelicans decided to leave. This is by far my favorite photo from back then.

In Photolab, I cleared out everything I had done last year, and started out fresh. Then I exported the final edited (and with a lot of cropping) image from PhotoLab to Topaz Sharpen AI, which certainly made an improvement. I’ll post the files below, including the ones from Topaz:

MM2_1389 | 2022-04-26.nef (30.5 MB)
MM2_1389 | 2022-04-26_openWith.tif.dop (12.6 KB)

MM2_1389 | 2022-04-26_openWith.tif (14.2 MB)

I guess it’s the best “bird photo” I have ever taken, and I don’t know if I can ever do better.
Three pelicans, one of them spectating, splashes from the take-off procedure, and wings up.

Nah!

Nikon D100, 6Mpx APS-C with Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro lens, taken late 2002.

I’ve enlarged this to 24Mpx using Topaz Photo AI and printed it to A2 (16" x 24" approx) and it looks stunning.

4 Likes

Assuming a 2008 camera was good when it was introduced and remains in good condition why would it be any more of a challenge to create a good image from it today than when it was new? More modern cameras may have higher ISO capabilities, more megapixels and lots of other newer bells and whistles, but that didn’t stop folks from creating wonderful images with those older cameras. I don’t understand your logic.

Mark

2 Likes

I join the queue stating this is a very dump remark.

George

2 Likes

I guess I ought to have stuck with my original D2x?
Or with my D3? …maybe.

Your D100 had a secret weapon - you!!
It’s the Indian, not the Arrow.
I can’t tell what your photo is of, let alone if it’s beautiful, scary, or “yucky”!!!

I think the D2x had a sensor similar to the D100? If I don’t give it to Aravind, I need to find someone to donate or sell it to.

Think about what you wrote. It (the camera) didn’t stop you (YOU!!) from getting a lovely image.
As usual, that image is beautiful because of YOU, not which camera you used.

The camera was the “arrow”
“You” were the “Indian”.

Or, as I feel right now, even if I wanted to, which I don’t, I have no reason or excuse or need to buy a better camera, and I maybe should have left my $2,000 in my bank, and just gotten back my D3. I think I’ll stop thinking about this, and just try to learn to get more out of whatever camera I’m using.

Joanna, I think I’ll stick with what I wrote. I just was saying it’s more of a challenge. You understand how to deal with the challenge. Maybe eventually I might know what to do. Between Topaz Photo AI and PhotoLab, you had the expertise and experience to accomplish what you did. I suspect most people wouldn’t understand - and the tools that you used weren’t available when you captured the image.

I’m about to write “The Camera Doesn’t Matter”. …but my way of thinking about this, is the skill of the photographer IS the most important thing, much more so than the camera gear.

As I posted long ago, here’s the “proof”:
Camera Doesn’t Matter

Camera is more or less a recording device, right? If you have a vision of the scene that is uncompelling, camera will record that. Conversely if you have a compelling vision, camera will record that as well. And in many situations, lighting, composition, gesture etc are the reasons why people care about the image, not the pixel count.

That being said, as a recording device, there are situations where the nature of the technical abilities of limitations of the camera, dictate how scene is captured. For example, you won’t be catching no birds in mid flight, 300 m away with some point and shoot camera from 2008 or with smartphone. You need a gear that can keep up with the subject and demands of the scene.

So no its not about the gear, and yes sometimes its about the gear as well as skill and vision and sometimes its also about a bit of luck to be at the right place and in the right time, if that is the requirement for the shot. We can’t really generalize.

Anyway, interesting discussion, always.

Some food for thought.

Forget The Numbers || Geoff Boyle || Spotlight

Does Resolution Matter? || Geoff Boyle || Spotlight

GEOFF BOYLE - Director of Photography

P.S.

Also its not just about camera sometimes, its about the glass as well. Some lenses will produce a particular effect that may or may not suit the vision of the photographer.

And off course photography is about drawing or painting with light, so we must not forget lighting, especially if we rely on artificial sources of light.

Light as Knowledge: Painting Pictures In The Dark

Light has played critical role in artistic expression, ever since our ancestors used torches to illuminate the cave walls on which to paint, so they can immortalize tell their stories.

The word “photography” essentially means “drawing with light”. Or “painting with light”, as it were.

Therefore, it can be said that the lighting is the primary language of photography, as well as cinematography.

Lighting determines not only brightness and darkness within the frame, but also tone, mood and the atmosphere of the scene. What also affects and determines how much texture you reveal is the angle of light source. In both photography and its big brother cinematography, lighting is critical in creating successful images.

As a cinematographer or as a photographer, you are looking at the world with only one lens. And you need to introduce a three-dimensional quality to two-dimensional medium. You accomplish this, by creating areas of light against dark, or dark against light.

Remember, the word “photography” literally means “drawing or painting with light”. Therefore, lighting being the primary language of photography, and also for its big brother, cinematography, plays a critical role in creating successful images.

By choosing, what will be kept in the dark and what we will light, we affect tone, mood and the atmosphere. This basic concept, for us visual artists, allow us to essentially paint with light. Acting as visual psychologist we provide rewarding experience for the audience, as well as ourselves.

Fan Ho – The Great Master of Lights and Shadows

David Yarrow Reveals his Photography Secrets - Learn Photography

Composition In Storytelling

Colour In Storytelling

Street Photography Composition 101

1 Like

It’s the dried seed head of a Cardiocrinum (giant lily). I just laid it on a piece of stiff white paper, curled between the kitchen wall and the countertop, lit by the kitchen window on one side and a white card reflector on the other.

Well, I had to make do with Photoshop CS3 and Genuine Fractals (Topaz predecessor) but it’s just a matter of practice, practice, practice, both with the camera you have to hand and the software.

Superb reminders from some of the masters.

1 Like

I agree - poor wording.

What I was trying to say was that all things being equal, with the advances in camera and lens design, older equipment can’t match the performance of newer equipment.

As in, my Nikon D70 or my Leica M8 will never reach what is possible on the latest Nikon or latest Leica.

Long ago, this was a struggle, as I always wanted “more”, and “more” meant newer, and costlier.

Yes, a camera designed in 2006 should be able to match that image quality if used today.
But today, I find myself wanting more than that.

Every time I upgraded my camera gear while shooting for magazines, I was able to capture images that I couldn’t with my older gear. A very simple example, with my modern cameras, when I press the shutter release, what I saw in my viewfinder is what I captured. When I went back to old cameras, I had to press the shutter release BEFORE the car reached the spot where I wanted it in my photos.

Nikon D2x and D3, and now my D7xx cameras do this perfectly. In Italy, I was forced to use a Nikon D40 if I remember correctly, and all my “action photos” were a challenge for me to get what I wanted.

My Leica M8 can capture lovely images, but it can’t match what my M10 can do, and my M10 can’t match what the new M11 can do.

That’s what I was trying to say, but I said it poorly.

It is a really nice image. I am not surprised by Mike’s reaction at all. From earlier discussions, I found that Mike has a significant issue understanding or appreciating images that having any abstract components. I don’t consider your image an abstract but he similarly gets confused by subjects that he doesn’t recognize, and therefore he does not understand how to react to them.

It is not surprising that he has spent his photographic life shooting reportage. Shape, texture, line and shadow alone, whether in a color image or monochrome, means nothing to him if the image doesn’t accurately represent some reality with which he is familiar. That is why I believe that trying to move him from his reportage style of shooting to something more artistic is a complete waste of your time. I do not believe he has any interest in art. Art is not about capturing absolute fidelity.

Mark

What exactly do you mean by “match”? Color? Sharpness? Contrast? Distortion? Please don’t say it’s because of the larger megapixel count of the sensor.

Mark

Well, sort of. I had a vision of what I wanted, but my older cameras were not capable of doing this well enough. They were too slow, for one thing. I figured out ways around all the issues, but the newer cameras eliminated the need for all that - press shutter button at the right time, and that is where the race car would be in the captured image. No more pressing the shutter release before the car reached that spot, and praying I got it right.

Again, I disagree. Most of the time what you wrote is correct, but when I wanted to take photos for Aravind Eye Hospital in India, they expected ALL of that, and also a high resolution properly exposed image that they could (and did) print as large as they wanted/needed. Pixelated images were not acceptable.

VERY, very true. Gradually, I got better gear, as I could afford it. I guess most of us do.

Depends on what is being photographed, and what the person the photo is for, expects. I got tired of not being able to do what the other professional photographers could do, so I learned, and I got better equipment. Going to a race with a Nikon D70 didn’t get what I wanted. Once I got the “professional” Nikon cameras, I could do what I wanted. The editors were VERY picky. It was both knowing what to do, AND having gear that was capable of doing it. Even that wasn’t enough - I used to dream of doing what “the experts did”, and eventually I caught up with them, and passed them. But I was photographing these races most weekends over the year, and maybe I was slow, but I learned. (…of course it helped that I had a job back then, and paychecks, and one way or another I found how to pay for all the stuff I wanted. I’m retired now so that doesn’t work for me any more… )

All those things are fascinating, but I don’t have time to go through them right now. Joanna probably has them all memorized. Not me. I don’t think I’m capable of doing photos like what you showed. Maybe I’ll never be able to do that. Lots more reading and thinking to do…

Gosh, well, I understand what you’ve written, but the second word in that sentence is the key. I might try to emulate you, but it’s pretty hard to emulate a genius. You have so much talent, and knowledge, and we are all very fortunate to have you sharing this with the rest of us.

I agree, practice, practice, practice, but when I try that, it’s a learning experience, with wonderful feedback here in the forum. As long as I’m improving, I’m happy. I’ll never be “satisfied”. About anything, ever. There’s always “better” to look forward to.

In so many ways this forum is like a photography class, as well as a place to share, and get feedback.

More later - I need to take a break, and get ready for tomorrow’s bullseye testing.

1 Like

I agree. Everyone is different. Your description of “me” is quite accurate. I don’t know about the word “reportage”; I think that “things” would be more accurate. I enjoy capturing my world around me. I don’t “get” art. To me, “form follows function”.

Well there is a saying: Those that think they can and those that think they can’t… are both right. Beware of self fulfilling prophecies. They have a funny way of coming true.

Just some more food for though.

“You don’t make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.”

― Ansel Adams

“Photography is an art of observation. It has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” ― Elliott Erwitt

Photo by Jim Richardson

“If a photographer cares about the people before the lens and is compassionate, much is given.” - Eve Arnold

click with people

“I think that emotional content is an image’s most important element, regardless of the photographic technique. Much of the work I see these days lacks the emotional impact to draw a reaction from viewers, or remain in their hearts.” - Anne Geddes, known for her distinctive, stylised photographs of babies, which often incorporate floral imagery.

“Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.” — Peter Adams

“A camera didn’t make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel.” Peter Adams

But again, yes, camera is a tool that has particular technical limitations. But many photographers fall in a trap where they think more expensive or technologically advance camera alone is what they need, so they end up buying new gear with hope it will compensate for their lack of experience, lack of vision or skill.

I would venture to say that taking a great photo with a smartphone or whatever happens to be the camera you own is critical step before investing in more expensive gear. Because it will not help much.

Of course it goes without saying, that if there is a particular technical need than one chooses the correct tool for the job. A particular tool for a particular job. This also applies to post production. If you know what you can do and what you can get away with in post production than it saves you time and cost during shooting. I’m not advocating for attitude of fixing it in post, but enhancing it in post.

Robert Genn: Many a fine style has evolved from a decent handicap.

"The higher the obstruction, the more single-minded the problem, the more the creative mind is challenged.”
—Leon Jacobs

The greatest enemy of art is the absence of limitations.

“Progress in art does not consist in reducing limitations, but in knowing them better. It is the limitation of means that determines style, gives rise to new forms and makes creativity possible.” ― Georges Braque (1882–1963), major 20th-century French painter, collagist, draughtsman, printmaker and sculptor

“I have always believed that a large part of the beauty of a picture arises from the struggle which an artist wages with his limited medium.” — Matisse on Art By Henri Matisse, Jack D. Flam

“We demand too much of technology and not enough of ourselves”.

1458447_624191554285854_1656942461_n

And finally few notes on the topic of style. An important topic.

Style is the artistic means, techniques and personal expressive preference of the artist, though which he realizes his interpretation.

Every job is a self portrait of the person who did it … Autograph your work with excellence. (Vince Lombardi Jr.)

“You have to utilize who you are in your work. Nobody else can do that; nobody else can pull from your unique background, from your parents, your upbringing, your whole life experience.” ― David Carson

"As a professional artist, if you wish to achieve any kind of position in the art world, you must develop a style that is distinctively “yours” - a style that, when people see your work, they will be able to identify as being from your hand, and likely from no one else. At the same time, that style has to be a large enough container within which you can grow for a long while, possibly for your entire career.

A style is almost never something you fall into. It is almost always something that you develop over time, and eventually, about which you make a considered decision. The best and most successful styles have, at their core, three basic elements:

1. what you have decided, over many years of practice and work, and a process of maturing as a human being and artist, that you wish to express.
  2. those things that you have learned - again over time - that you are good at and want to exploit, and…
  3. those things that you have also learned that you are bad at and have learned to compensate for."
  • Michelle Gaugy, art gallery owner, author, art consultant

A style is where your comfort zone is when you are creating. Weather that style is distinct from other styles compared to other artists depends on how uncomfortable you were before you found your zone of comfort. How daring were you in your learning the rules of composition, experimentation, attempts of copying and eventually your intellectual and emotional maturity. Or perhaps the lack of thereof.

“My advice to young filmmakers is this: Don’t follow trends. Start them!”
― Frank Capra (1897-1991), Italian-American film director, producer and writer.

“Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. I have simply wished to assert the reasoned and independent feeling of my own individuality within a total knowledge of tradition.” ― Henri Matisse (1869–1954), French artist

Only those with no memory insist on their originality. (Coco Chanel)

I invent nothing, I rediscover. (Auguste Rodin)

Study your craft and know who you are and what’s special about you. (Paul Newman)

A great man does not confine himself to one school; but combines many schools, as well as reads and listens to the arguments of his predecessors, thereby slowly forming a style of his own. (Kuo His)

The subject, the light, the time of day and my mood tell me how something should be executed. I am not a Photoshop filter that wishes to impose my style on all that inspires me. (Brenda Behr)

The greatest enemy of art is the absence of limitations. (Orson Welles)

The More Opinions You Have, the Less You See. (Wim Wenders)

Many a fine style has evolved from a decent handicap. (Robert Genn)

“Progress in art does not consist in reducing limitations, but in knowing them better. It is the limitation of means that determines style, gives rise to new forms and makes creativity possible.” ― Georges Braque (1882–1963), major 20th-century French painter, collagist, draughtsman, printmaker and sculptor

Our personal style depends on packaging. (Linda Doll)

It is important to express oneself …provided the feelings are real and are taken from you own experience. (Berthe Morisot)

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind. (Dr Suess)

The style is the man himself. (George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon)

If done with genuine honesty, the work of a man is the explanation of the man. (Paul Gauguin)

Your style is the way you talk in paint. (Robert Henri)

What is style but the repeated rendering of a particular artistic emotion? (Ian Semple)

Style is simply the adoption of an arbitrary set of creative rules that one chooses from to express oneself. One develops style as selected preferences for each creative choice. (Scott Menaul)

Personal style, be it that of Michelangelo, or that of Tintoretto… has always been that peculiar personal rapport which has developed between an artist and his medium. (Ben Shahn)

“Clearly the hardest thing for the working artist is to create his own conception and follow it, unafraid of the strictures it imposes, however rigid these may be… I see it as the clearest evidence of genius when an artist follows his conception, his idea, his principle, so unswervingly that he has this truth of his constantly in his control, never letting go of it even for the sake of his own enjoyment of his work.” ― Andrei Tarkovsky

Authentic individually often involves having the ability to escape designated categorization.

The pursuit of normality is the ultimate sacrifice of potential. – Faith Jegede

Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn. (Gore Vidal)

“My mother said to me, ‘If you decided to be a soldier, become a general. If you decided to be a monk, become the Pope.’ Instead, I decided to be a painter, and became Picasso.” - Pablo Picasso

…However.

In the abstract, philosophical sense… “One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus are a style.” or as Alfred Hitchcock says: “Self-plagiarism is style.”

Create your own visual style… let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. (Orson Welles)

Showing a cohesive coherent consistent selection of artwork is how you establish an identity for yourself and your brand as an artist. And it is also the way you effectively communicate to viewers exactly what your brand is about. First and foremost, you have to have a vision, and everything you exhibit and offer for sale should exemplify that vision. Randomness, lack of direction and inconsistency in your choice of art and topics, on the other hand, practically assure that you won’t be in business long.

"Artists tend to have a signature style. For Magritte, his later work is considered more iconic; for Warhol, many critics consider his early silk-screen paintings to be his most important. Some artists have more than one signature style. Gerhard Richter, for example, makes both colorful abstract paintings and blurred photorealist paintings. But he is more the exception than the rule. Just as there is a hierarchy of artists associated with an art movement, there is also a hierarchy that helps to define the relative importance of work produced by an artist. Iconic work is premium priced. The further you get from it, the sharper the fall off in price. This tends to be true for every medium in which the artist worked.

The degree to which a work is iconic depends on answers to some very practical questions of ascetics, such as: Is it beautiful? Is it a large work? Is it the best in the series? Does it use the right colors? Answers to these questions impact value, especially the question about color. Look no further than the marketplace for abstract work by Gerhard Richter to understand the relationship between color and price. When his abstract paintings come up for sale at auction, collectors are willing to pay more for red and blue over green and orange. "

— Art Collecting Today: Market Insights for Everyone Passionate about Art (2017) by Doug Woodham (Author)

BEWARE!

The best thing commercially, which is the worst artistically, by and large, is the most successful. (Orson Welles)

Nothing Recedes Like Success. (Bryan Forbes)

Once you’ve built your reputation on a particular signature style, it can be hard to wriggle your way out of the straitjacket of your own brand identity. After all, where does distinctively recognizable end and stalely repetitious begin? (Judith Palmer)

e.g. Françoise Nielly is a French knife-painter who is famous for painting vibrant and colourful closeup portraits of people. View the gallery by years and see why she is so successful commercially in having a very recognizable and distinct style, but has not grown as an artist at all.

P.S.

“I was very embarrassed when my canvases began to fetch high prices. I saw myself condemned to a future of nothing but Masterpieces. Did not the artists of the great age of Japanese art change names many times during their careers? I like that; they wanted to safeguard their freedom.” ― Henri Matisse (1869–1954), French artist

“It is the limitation of means that determines style, gives rise to new forms and makes creativity possible.”
― Georges Braque (1882–1963)

If you only work for yourself, then it’s about genuine expression, If you only work for others as a laborer than you will probably have to compete on price, and there is always someone more desperate to reach rock bottom piece faster tan you. So really, one way to protect yourself is with a distinct style. Unique to you and recognizable to others.

All the techniqe and cameras aside, its an important topic that I think is more valuable than any camera or lens you can buy.

"It took me a few seconds to draw it, but it took me 34 years to learn how to draw it in a few seconds "

Paula Scher, American graphic designer, painter and art educator in design

“Femme” sketch by Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)
Probably the beginning of April 1931
13 in (34 cm) X 18 in (45 cm)

The legend goes or more accurately; a version of the legend goes as follows…

The famous Pablo Picasso was at a party sketching when a woman approached him.

She recognized him and after approaching the Master. She asked, “Will you create a sketch for me?”

The famous Picasso agreed and he began sketching.

After spending about five minutes doing what Picasso does best on his sketchpad.

He quickly rips of the sketch off the pad and hand it to the woman, saying to her, “That will be $10,000.”

After initial shock, the woman pulled herself together and finally screamed at the master;
“Ten thousand dollars! What the hell for? It only took you five minutes to draw that sketch!”

To which, Picasso calmly replied, “No, madam. It took me a lifetime.”

Paraphrased from How to charge, one of the archived posts on 1099 — The magazine for independent professionals.

“An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision.” said James Whistler.

If you don’t have a vision and style to market, regardless of technical ability or gear, in the end you will be condemned to compete on price and that is very insecure position.

A friend from Austria was shooting weddings, and he said someone started photographing with a f1.2 lens and very shallow depth of field. Thing became a trend in local area so other photographers bought the same lens and pretty soon everyone was shooting the same, leaving competition with price.

But you can’t buy photographers vision and experience, and if he can market it, he will be better paid and more secure because he is more protected.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

4 Likes

That’s nonsense. Things might become easier but that doesn’t mean it was impossible.
All reflex camera’s had a small shutter lag. From what you say you compare it with a digital point-and-shoot camera. Shutter lag is also caused by the speed of the focusing system of the used lens but that can be bypassed by set it to manual and pre-focus on a desired distance. Old slr’s without autofucus and light metering had the smallest shutter lag.
The newer mirrorless have a electronic viewfinder with a larger shutter lag but that’s shrinking with every new model.

I had totally no problem with shutter lag shooting these two :grin:

George

1 Like

Yes, it’s amazing how many people I come across that believe that you have to allow the camera to make up its mind on every shot.

2 Likes

Same here, most art leaves me cold. I spent my working life as a scientist, latterly predominately sitting at a desk crunching numbers. I made Excel and Word do clever stuff in order to simplify my job. I’m happy to be called a geek.

However, that hasn’t stopped me from ‘capturing my world around me’. For example, the photo of the trees and their reflections in the large pond I posted is no more than a simple view I ‘snapped’ on a day out. Similarly, this one is no more than a shot of rain falling on a pond:

Yet even my wife, who has been known to observe that I have no soul, is happy for prints of theses photos to hang on the wall in our house.

PS this photo is full colour, it was just a very grey day

3 Likes

I think you mean your €20 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: :smiley:

Nonetheless, a few handy quotes to remember.

2 Likes

“Form follows function” is a principle of design associated with late 19th and early 20th century architecture and industrial design in general. It states that the shape of a building or object should primarily relate to its intended function or purpose. The architect Louis Sullivan coined the phrase in the 18th and 19th centuries, and it is a self-explanatory term that means that the functionality of the building should be a deriving factor. Major design decisions should be made based on the function, and form should be derived organically as the process goes on. FFF is a new thinking approach that encourages us to first create a Virtual Situation (form) and then to explore its potential benefits (function). It is a way to overcome some of the drawbacks of research-led or design-based innovation.

So, what does that look like in practice… in architecture… if we can even call it that anymore.

Let me share some images from an interesting twitter channel Culture Critic @Culture_Crit

“Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.”

Remember, this was made, all by one artists. Michelangelo

Italian sculptor, painter, architect and poet (1475–1564).

And this is what happens when “form follows function”

It makes every place the same. Bangkok or Tokyo or London: there’s a McDonald’s on one corner, a Benetton on another, a Gap across the street. Regional differences vanish. All differences vanish. In a mass-media world, there’s less of everything except the top ten books, records, movies, ideas. People worry about losing species diversity in the rain forest. But what about intellectual diversity—our most necessary resource? That’s disappearing faster than trees.” ― Michael Crichton, The Lost World

“Great nations write their autobiographies in three manuscripts …the book of their deeds, the book of their words and the book of their art.” ― John Ruskin

“Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.”

Jean Rostand

“Our scientific age demands that we provide definitions, measurements, and statistics in order to be taken seriously. Yet most of the important things in life cannot be precisely defined or measured. Can we define or measure love, beauty, friendship, or decency, for example?” - Dennis Prager

So, why aren’t we building the way we used to. Why aren’t we building Pyramids, despite all our technology. The answer is simply. We don’t believe in the same things those others did. And there are consequences for that.

When form follows function, pretty soon we started hearing terms like “human capital”. Man was no longer God’s special creature, he became a unit of economic output. And that was just modernity. By the time we reach post modernity. Oh, boy. Time to tear it all down.

“Irony and cynicism were just what the U.S. hypocrisy of the fifties and sixties called for. That’s what made the early postmodernists great artists. The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. The virtuous always triumph? Ward Cleaver is the prototypical fifties father? “Sure.” Sarcasm, parody, absurdism and irony are great ways to strip off stuff’s mask and show the unpleasant reality behind it. The problem is that once the rules of art are debunked, and once the unpleasant realities the irony diagnoses are revealed and diagnosed, “then” what do we do? Irony’s useful for debunking illusions, but most of the illusion-debunking in the U.S. has now been done and redone. Once everybody knows that equality of opportunity is bunk and Mike Brady’s bunk and Just Say No is bunk, now what do we do? All we seem to want to do is keep ridiculing the stuff. Postmodern irony and cynicism’s become an end in itself, a measure of hip sophistication and literary savvy. Few artists dare to try to talk about ways of working toward redeeming what’s wrong, because they’ll look sentimental and naive to all the weary ironists. Irony’s gone from liberating to enslaving. There’s some great essay somewhere that has a line about irony being the song of the prisoner who’s come to love his cage.” ― David Foster Wallace

“Postmodernity is said to be a culture of fragmentary sensations, eclectic nostalgia, disposable simulacra, and promiscuous superficiality, in which the traditionally valued qualities of depth, coherence, meaning, originality, and authenticity are evacuated or dissolved amid the random swirl of empty signals.” ― Jean Baudrillard

“Whereas modern cynicism brought despair about the ability of the human species to realize laudable ideals, postmodern cynicism doesn’t — not because it’s optimistic, but because it can’t take ideals seriously in the first place. The prevailing attitude is Absurdism. ― Robert Wright, The Moral Animal: Why We Are the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology

postmodern-philosophy-a-new-paradaigm-2-638

postmod

Pre modernity… when form did not follow function.

This is the statue of French nobleman Charles de Sainte-Maure, sculpted by Louis-Philippe Mouchy in 1781.

I was first exposed to postmodernism when I went to university. If you don’t recognize the term, it is rather hard to define, mostly because there are so many variants of it. However, it generally refers to the idea that there are very few (if any) objective truths. Most of the things we hold to be “true” are only true for our experiences. Someone with a completely different set of experiences might come up with a completely different sent of “truths,” and those “truths” are just as valid as the “truths” that we come up with.

"When he’s asked what he’s reading, he answers weirdly, “Words, words, word.” He talks about how his internal moods seem to transform outer reality so that he can never be sure what the world is really like. Morality especially has come to seem to him completely dependent on his own opinions. “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so,” he says.

How wild was this? Shakespeare had predicted postmodernism and moral relativism hundreds of years before they came into being! Like Hamlet, the postmodernists were declaring that language did not describe the world around us…Like Hamlet, the postmodernists announced that what we thought was reality was just a construct of our minds…And like Hamlet, the postmodernists had dismissed the notion of absolute morality…

But there was one big difference. Hamlet said these things when he was pretending to be mad. My professors said them and pretended to be sane."

I don’t think there is anything wrong with enjoying capturing world around us. I love to do it just as much as you do. Its great.

The “art” part though is important, I think…

“Beauty is vanishing from our world because we live as though it did not matter.”
― Roger Scruton

“Great nations write their autobiographies in three manuscripts …the book of their deeds, the book of their words and the book of their art.”
— John Ruskin

“Art is the signature of civilizations.” — Beverly Sills (1929 – 2007)

“Art has enriched human life for more than fifty centuries. It tells us far more about our past than we can learn from memorizing the names of kings and the dates of battles. Cave drawings, Egyptian tombs, ancient Greek plays, and Michelangelo sculptures uncover a far richer tapestry of the past then do conventional history books.” — The Passionate Collector: Eighty Years in the World of Art by Roy R. Neuberger (2003)

…When “Form Follows Funcion” we get this… I like capturing the world as much as you do, but this is depressing enviroment to have to live in or go to work, don’t you agree?

As someone commented: “What I love about modern architecture is all the large, sunlight-filled windows.”

The Buffalo City Court Building, named Frank A. Sedita City Court, for Buffalo mayor Frank A. Sedita, is a 10-story court house built in 1974 for the city of Buffalo, New York. It is in Niagara Square and adjacent to Buffalo City Hall.

The structure is a classic example of Brutalist architecture; its façade is dominated by large Precast concrete panels with narrow windows. The design was conceived by Buffalo architectural firm Pfohl, Roberts and Biggie’s architecture firm with limited windows to keep the courtrooms and judges’ chambers free from outside distraction.

The building houses the 8th Judicial district Buffalo Housing Court, Landlord/Tenant Court, Small Claims, Commercial Claims, Criminal Court, and several parts of New York State Supreme Court for the County of Erie.

As an AI language model, I don’t have personal opinions or feelings, but I can help you come up with a lighthearted mockery of Brutalist architecture. Here’s an attempt:

Brutalist architecture: Because who needs windows and colors when you can have a giant concrete fortress instead? It’s the perfect style for those who want their buildings to look like they’ve been plucked straight out of a dystopian novel. After all, nothing says “warm and inviting” like a monolithic slab of gray concrete with all the charm of a nuclear bunker.

In the world of Brutalist architecture, form follows function… and it seems the primary function is to make passersby feel like they’ve stepped into a bleak, post-apocalyptic landscape. With an aesthetic that can best be described as “heavy, cold, and imposing,” Brutalist buildings are a true testament to mankind’s ability to turn concrete into something that’s both massive and entirely devoid of personality.

So, if you’re a fan of prison-like structures that look like they could withstand a nuclear blast, look no further than Brutalist architecture – it’s got you (and your windows) covered.

“It seems therefore that our best attempts at explaining the beauty of works of abstract art like music and architecture involve linking them by chains of metaphor to human action, life and emotion. If we are to understand the nature of artistic meaning, therefore, we must first understand the logic of figurative language.” ― Roger Scruton

It’s hard to be a good poet if you haven’t mastered linguistic skills first, so you can express yourself with figurative language. Figurative language is the use of descriptive words, phrases and sentences to convey a message that means something without directly saying it. Its creative wording is used to build imagery to deepen the audience’s understanding and help provide power to words by using different emotional, visual and sensory connections.

The best artists, weather they be photographers or something else, can do that. It goes beyond exposure triangle, they create more than sum of its parts. Its creative alchemy. Artistic alchemy.

A rule says, “You must do it this way.” A principle says, “This works … and has worked through all remembered time.” Insecure and inexperienced ones obey rules. Rebellious and unschooled ones break rules. And artists master the principles.” ― Robert McKee, Story: Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting

Much like Tango: Beginners want to dance like intermediates; intermediates want to dance like advanced dancers; advanced dancers want to dance like the greats; but the greats always go back to basics.

Critics Consensus: F for Fake playfully poses intriguing questions while proving that even Orson Welles’ minor works contain their share of masterful moments.

[Orson Welles] And now, with your permission, a bit of verse… by Kipling.

“When first the flush of a newborn sun
fell on the green and gold…

our father, Adam, sat under the Tree…
and scratched with a stick in the mold.

And the first rude sketch that the world had seen…
was joy to his mighty heart.

Till the Devil… whispered behind the leaves…
'lt’s pretty, but is it Art?”

[Orson Welles]

It’s pretty, but is it art?
Well, how is it valued?

The value depends on opinion.
Opinion depends on the experts.

A faker like Elmyr makes fools of
the experts, so who’s the expert?

And who’s the faker?

“Rembrandt painted about 700 pictures, and of these, 3000 are in existence.” - Wilhelm Bode

A friend once showed a Picasso to Picasso…
who said, no, it was a fake.

The same friend brought him,
from yet another source…

another would-be Picasso,
and Picasso said that, too, was a fake.

Then yet another from another source.
“Also fake,” said Picasso.

“But, Pablo, ” said his friend…
“I watched you paint that with my own eyes.”

[ Chuckles] Said Picasso,
“I can paint fake Picassos as well as anybody.”

Has it led you to the conclusion that photography is an art ? Or it is simply a means of recording? “I’m glad you asked that. I’ve been wanting to say this for years. Is cooking an art? Is talking an art? Is even painting an art? It is artfulness that makes art, not the medium itself. Of course photography is an art - when it is in the hands of artists.” ― Aaron Scharf

5 Likes

My job was to shoot high-speed radio control cars, on-road, and off-road (often jumping through the air. My D40 and D70 cameras, along with my E-10 mostly missed. When I bought my Nikon D2f, everything got much easier, and this continued to improve with newer and newer cameras. I was usually shooting in “high-speed burst mode”, in manual or auto focus, and I didn’t yet have a good 200mm lens. My last camera for doing this was my D750. The other professional photographers had far more gear than I (could afford), but eventually I caught up. France has lots of radio control car races - if you ever get a chance, I’d like to see how well you can do. At any rate, the percentage of “keepers” kept improving as my cameras kept improving. …I even covered a World Championship race in Jakarta, where the person putting on the race to leave my camera at home, and to use his professional Canon outfit. He had all the accessories and lenses too - and the most difficult thing for me was getting used to shooting with a Canon.

Shutter lag - watch this very short snippet of one of my radio control car races, where I was both photographing and video graphing, and it will give you an idea of how shutter lag was nearly impossible until I got better camera gear:

I guess that depends on what is being photographed. Me? I didn’t have time to “think”, I just “did” and hoped I caught what I wanted.

Nothing I wrote or did has to deal with “art”. I was just trying to capture what was happening, hopefully in an image with multiple cars, and hopefully doing something “interesting” to the people who the images were intended for.

One of the main thoughts behind Nikon’s D1, D2. D3, D4, D5, and D6 cameras was sports. That is what I wanted the cameras for, and they did it better than the less expensive “consumer cameras”. The reason I spent all the $$$ was because these cameras gave me better results - but after $5000 or so for the D3, I couldn’t afford to keep doing this. By then, I thought the D750 was “good enough” for me.

The “art” part is not what I am usually trying to capture, and it’s silly in a way because the artist who designed and created the “art” desires the credit, not me coming along with a camera to photograph it.

On the other hand, a beautiful sunrise, or sunset, or a flock of birds is not “art” until someone paints or photographs it - which means that kind of “art” I can do, and enjoy doing, or should I say, trying to do. To do it right requires skills, and experience, and knowledge.

I have never been, and never will be, an “artist”. I do what I can, and enjoy doing so, but many of you are far more skilled than I, and understand things better than I do. I think we all find things that interest us, and learn how to do.

My thoughts - photography can be “art”, or it can be “fine art”, or it can be “recording”, depending on many, many things.

How about “What kind of photographers are we?”