Manual rotation and crop should be connected

When cropping an image there is no way to then rotate the crop. Once rotated, there needs to be an option for the rotated crop to automatically remove the black areas. Right now this is only possible through horizon tool which isn’t very useful.

Also, the Horizon tool does not automatically remove the black areas when the orientation of the crop is changed.

Basically, you can’t have a landscape orientation and crop it into a slightly rotated portrait orientation.

If by that you mean you can’t turn a landscape crop into a portrait one, that’s not true. For example, grab the bottom right corner of a landscape crop and drag it down and the crop will become a portrait one. However I don’t think that’s what you mean.

It will if you ensure that in the Crop palette the ‘Correction’ option is set to ‘Auto based on keystoning / horizon’.

To get:

1. Set the Crop Correction to ‘Auto based on keystoning / horizon’.
  2. Use the Horizon tool to rotate the landscape image the required number of degrees.
  3. Now make a portrait crop, by dragging a corner of the landscape crop.

Does that help?

Or have I misunderstood you?

1 Like

Not quite, in lightroom and other editors you can do this in one step. Not three. If you draw out a crop rectangle is their a way to rotate that rectangle without having to use the horizontal tool? It’s fine for one or two images, but cropping hundreds of images can be a bit of pain to do it that way.

Sorry but as far as I know PL doesn’t have that ability.

Try this …

1. Select all images you wish to rotate
  2. Apply your crop to rectangle
  3. Press Ctrl+L (or Ctrl+R) to rotate the images
  4. Don’t forget to de-select all images before applying any subsequent adjustment (that’s intended for only one image) !

You’ll probably need to tweak the crop for each image - but you’re likely visiting each image to apply image-specific adjustments … so that shouldn’t be a pain.

John

If I understand correctly, what you’re requesting has already been requested before…

…AND has already been implemented in PhotoLab. From the user guide:

Whether you are auto-cropping or manually cropping, you have the option to straighten the horizon directly, without having to go through the Horizon tool:

Place the mouse next to one of the four corners of the cropping grid and a double curve will appear.
Press the left mouse button and rotate in the desired direction.
Use the grid as reference if you want to straighten the horizon.

As stuck said, use the Auto crop mode to let PL automatically remove the black areas.

Thank you! This is great news! In lightroom, the second the cursor goes off the crop rectangle it turns into a rotation icon. So you can rotate from anywhere. So I was used to that method. But probably didn’t move the mouse close enough to the corner to activate it. I’ll try that next time.