[Mac]Photolab 2: "This image cannot be processed because of an unknown error. It may be corrupted or in an unsupported format"

Did that solve your puzzle ?

John M

Seems fine for now thanks. Iā€™m going to be putting many Z7 images on my drive next weekend, Iā€™ll see if any further problems occur.

regards,
Peter

Thatā€™s excellent news, Peter.

Iā€™m pretty sure that your problem was due to (something similar to) the following;

• you imported your RAW files into a folder
  • PL ā€œsawā€ these files, and added them to its database
  • then, somehow, the files were moved to a different folder - with PL being unaware of this.
  • PL was then directed at the new folder location ā€¦ but, it had the filenames in its database with association to the original/different folder - and it ā€œspat the dummy (pacifier)ā€ !

This explains why, as you said, all other software was able to see/find the files ā€¦ because theyā€™re NOT using PLā€™s database to determine their location.

By deleting the database you are forcing PL to see the files (in your new folder) as new, not-seen-before images ā€¦ and it will add them to the database with their new location details. All good !

Regards, John M

Even though this causes problems for some who are moving RAWs around - it is how a DAM should work.
You do not move files around. They stay and perhaps you add some more of them. But database and metadata does the job.

When DxO PL is trying to sustain a DAM db and some of us is pulling the rug from under its feet, itā€™s understandable it gets confused. :slight_smile:

As some other have voiced, an option to active/deactive the DAM would be a great option.

Personally I do not use the builtin PL DAM but instead I run Photo Supreme as a stand alone DAM and open all RAWs with PL but from within Photo Supreme.
Exported versions are saved back into the storage and then PhotoSupreme does update its db and all metadata, xmp etc.
This works as perfect as it could.

2 Likes

Excellent article.I really like this.Thank you for sharing tutuapp

I have had the same problem a couple of times and am not aware of having moved files - they have stayed in the same folder all the time. It happens (of course?) only to files that have been processed. Changing the filename (adding an a in my case) solves the problem, PL then removes the dop file and probably changes its database (havenā€™t checked that). I may even change the filename back afterwards, but it is certainly a strange workaround and shouldnā€™t be necessary. I havenā€™t tried the database, will try that next time, if it happens again.

Just got my Z6 and had the same problem. For me, the NEFs are saved as DSC_xxxxx and were not recognized by PL. Of course, as others have noted, other programs did not have any difficulty. When I deleted the ā€œ_ā€, PL2 read the file correctly. Seems kind of dumb - why should I have to do this? The only reason I use PL is for the raw conversion and lens corrections that both seemed better than Lightroom. Honestly, with the Z and the 24-70 f4 there isnā€™t much difference between LR and PL

I prefer the arrangement of the PhotoLab tools ā€“ they make more sense to me than Lightroom. I also prefer the design of PhotoLab: it looks the way I like an interface to look, elegant yet information dense and to the point. Design is important to me. In terms of processing, after comparing PhotoLab, C1 and Lightroom closely, PhotoLabā€™s big advantage is with high ISO images. PhotoLab literally offers two extra stops of attractive ISO with Canon files (Canon 5DS R image quality remains excellent to ISO 6400 and very good through its high ISO of 12800). The advantage is probably only a single stop with my Sony A7 III files (which only look okay at 12800 and fall apart at 25600 regardless of program). No Canon shooter should be without PhotoLab.

The other area where PhotoLab excels is sharpening.With the Lens Sharpness tool one can eke out more high quality and still natural looking detail than with any other RAW converter.

In terms of workflow, the nonsense with a database imposed on us really has to stop. The only sensible way to work with PhotoLab is to enable the .dop and .xmp sidecars. This offers two benefits: sessions are portable (move between laptop and main computer easily) and in the case of database corruption, all of oneā€™s edit information is safe.

DxO has some of the best developers in the world and some of the poorest product planners.

Got same issue: Copy new photo in directory currently opened in DXO => Corrupted image.
Applied same solution: Exit DXO, rename directory, Open DXO ā†’ Fixed !

Thank you for the tip.

1 Like