Logical processing = Develop then adjust (globally then locally)

The above logic is that derived from analogue film photography. It’s (pretty much) the approach the Japanese take towards digital photography. Witness Fujifilm and Nikon. It’s what I and many others how went through college level training in photography became immersed in. To free creativity, know your equipment and materials.’ Exhaustive tests, aiming to be accurate to within less than one third of a stop was part of the journey.
Outside of Japanese software, it’s difficult to see the logic of modern western software, including PL. When I shoot film, I load a roll/ sheet of film, then expose develop and print. Having tested the equipment and materials, metered a scene, I know how to take whats in front of the lens and easily get creatively envisaging the final screen/ print image.

In PL it’s different. Users make adjustments in the Light tab, then click on the ‘Color’ tab. In this tab, there’s the Color/B&W rendering sub-panel. There’s no logic, it’s more tidy mind ‘convenience’ than photography.
There are oddities abounding all around digital processing. In LrC you do a ‘quick develop’ without specifying the ‘film’ for instance.

So my suggestion is to approach the tab layout and the processing routines contained therein, into a more logical process sequence. Use the outlined develop then adjust (globally then locally) structure. The first tab would be ‘Develop’, The first process step in this tab, would be to select the film rendering, then white balance, then exposure.

Dx0 will no doubt have access to the logic in Nikon Capture NX2. From an analogue film to digital processing changeover, the logic is flawless.

Probably lots of work, but when it’s done it PL will set the standard.

You can customize your panels.

Side remark:
Capture NX was developed by Nik Software, which had its roots in Hamburg, Germany.
It looked like it was tuned for Japanese skin tones, though :wink:
Maybe because Picture Controls, especially ‘Portrait’, were made by Nikon.

as noted by one Pan Wlodek in the post above you can customize ( rearrange wanted / hide unwanted ) the layout of UI elements ( tools ) to suit your workflow

As well as what’s already been said about rearranging and/or creating Custom palettes, when you’ve finished editing and use the ‘Export’ option, PL apply your edits to the RAW file according to its own internal algorithm, not the order in which you applied the changes.

Shall I understand you as DXO will set some kind of standard if Photolab could handle the Nikon specific metadata Nikon Capture NX2 could handle? What about the rest of proprietary metadata the other manufacturers add to EXIF?

Today the camera manufacturers own RAW-converters often are the only ones that can handle that metadata correctly. Today just Sonys Imaging Edge can handle my ARW-files correctly but Adobes Camera Raw can´t and neither can Photolab.