Incentive to buy Photolab 7

I agree in the sense of surprising…in that DPL has e.g. NO, repeat, NO means to reconcile a drifting catalog with reality. I never had serious issues with drifting catalogs in Lightroom over the last 15 years. The minor issues were easily fixed using Lightroom’s features built for these cases.

Back to the original question(s) and thread title as I understand it:

Why should one buy (or upgrade to) PhotoLab 7 if the differences to the previous version(s) is deemed to be minor?

• In this case there is no reason, because if one thinks/feels the differences are minor, they are not worth spending money on, but again, the assessment of whether a difference is small or big depends on one’s own baseline and needs.

Will a roadmap help to buy (upgrade to) PhotoLab 7?

• I don’t think so. We all know that future releases will have more features, will fix a few old bugs and bring in new ones. If I knew that the feature I desperately hope for will be available in three years, I’d most probably hold my money until the feature is actually available. I’d save some money and DxO might be bankrupt by the time the feature should arrive.

If one wants/needs DPL 7, one should get it and use it.
If one finds the price to be too high, don’t buy!

Make your choice, pay your price … and move on.
(Note: The original proverb is “Make your choice, pay your price … and stop complaining”)

6 Likes

:+1: Wise words

1 Like

No, I do not think this is the same thing. Photolab evolves constantly, it’s not like you will suddenly get a new gaming system with much more power so in that case you just would like to wait.

I just think being secretive hurts much more then being open to your customers. I’m sure they have a roadmap for version 7.x. Why not share some of those points, especially if they are the most requested feature.

Software Development is not like it used to be. You can, with some degree of uncertainty, guaranty what will be the next feature. It is way better then commenting on the forum post that a feature will come in the next version and it actually never comes :slight_smile:

The problem with roadmaps is, that most users will take things as promises. Conditions can (and do) change and all that has been said or written dissolves, leaving everyone else frustrated, angry or both.

Developing a product is like a police investigation: You keep silent until everything is done.

2 Likes

Indeed we have had a great many firm promises of changes that came to nothing over the years. What makes this worse is they never say something has been changed (or more dropped) and why. This one sided communication is very poor when contrasted to the way Affinity deals with users.

But notice that affinity evolve without announced schedule (or I don’t know where there is one) for their next update. (Updates which are much much rarer than photolab’s one).
(No bad word against affinity. At this price, this software is awesome).
When photolab release a “major” (debatable word) update every year.

There BETA program is on the user forum and anyone can join it when there is a BETA. Unlike DXO the full BETA is available to everyone with every update so the sort of mess up with the white balance with PL is most unlikely with Affinity. So you can see how the program is developing. But as with DXO a new version isn’t on the forum it is true but you can see how problems with the current version are being dealt with and new changes when in BETA form.

1 Like

@platypus

Since version 6 Photolab integrates perfectly with Photo Mechanic as I use it - with flat keywords. The only thing one need to do is to turn on “synchronization” in the “Preferences” menu of Photolab and index the images XMP-metadata. From what I have seen the last year I have no issues at all with that integration and with that I mean even two ways without any conflicts at all.

Photolab is extremely easy to migrate and synch with Photo Mechanic. If you already have metadata in your images and a hierarchy of image folders, it’s just to point to the top folder of that hierarchy and start indexing. Photolab will then automatically create a keyword look up table for the Image Library and populate its own catalog so it gets in synch with Photo Mechanic.

Very simple and straight forward - maybe the most convenient migration process I have seen so far. Just to show how simple the basics of such a transition is to do. The most demanding when migrating to other systems might be to create maintenance forms that matches the IPTC elements Photolab uses.

I have thought about why I should use the Photolab catalog at all but I see a few advantages:

When I search with ImageLibrary I get a good overview of which sources my search really hits - the IPTC, a file name, a search path and a few other possibilities as well. Photolab has a better viewing interface for Google Map plotting than PM has since it is more optimized for plotting.

Otherwise, the metadata tools are pretty archaic, but they work if you have to live within the limitations of ImageLibray but the thing is that you don’t if your Photolab is integrated with PhotoMechanic. I’m sure there will be even other realistic alternatives to both Lightroom and PM as third-party integration options in the future.

So, I personally don’t intend to move anywhere else at all, because at the moment I have hard to see anything more powerful than the integration of Photolab as the converter, and PhotoMechanic as the asset management system. It´s far more powerful and effective than Lightroom. Lightroom is a compromise but still a very cost-effective mainstream solution, but it’s far from state of the art either as a converter or an asset management system today.

I think Photolab 6-7 is far better than its reputation as a photo asset management tool and it’s not a dead end like Lightroom when it comes to scalability but I guess most people are not even aware of how well the integration with PhotoMechanic really works today if PM and Photolab gets properly configured. I really think the scalability options Photolab gives also is a good incentive to buy it and for me it’s a very big incentive not to migrate to Lightroom despite the development of LR the last year.

This is a very uncommon but yes, user friendly, way of doing beta tests. Generally beta test is not public and is secret.

There is NO incentive to buy or upgrade to v7 when it still can’t open and manipulate ProRAW iPhone files.
How many times do you need to be told?

3 Likes

Nor phone DNGs

2 Likes

I downloaded the PL7 demo and found it to be a real disappointment as an upgrade to PL6. To me at least, it seems like it’s a few new wrappers here and there around the same old same old. And at a 38% increase in the upgrade price compared to the 5 to 6 upgrade.

I have been looking real close at the offering from ON1 and it has more features (with new and innovative features coming in ON1 RAW 2024) and at less than the upgrade price for the PL7 upgrade. Maybe(?) they don’t have the database of cameras and lenses as DxO, but the results I have been getting with my Nikon vs. what I get in PL are certainly quite identical. There are a several features in ON1 that I will no longer need to save and open in a second app like I currently do in PL. And they have maskable layers all adjustment and effects!

I am very close to jumping ship and bidding farewell to DxO.

1 Like

Jumping ship is quite alright, and if you can get what you need at a lower price … why not? You’ll still keep PhotoLab for images you already edited and you can always use DPL as a preprocessor for what I’d call best in class optical corrections and de-noising and do the rest on your new track.

2 Likes

Of course, if there was a secret beta, there’d be the usual nda and no one outside would know.

I wen to the PM/DxO combo when I left LR. But over time, there were many very small things with PM that got on my nerves. And with their relatively slow roadmap, I went back to ACDSee as my Dam/Culling software. It also works seamlessly with DxO

You can use DXO for demosaicing to take advantage of DXO’s superior denoise and optical corrections and then “Export to ON1” to fine tune the photo. Best of both worlds?

I have to admit, I came into the fall this year a bit biased against DxO because
it was SO much effort to move my images from one computer to another, and from
one disk to another (both external SSD’s).

But to read about the “hostage” features, that just about killed it for me. A
company that does that is either greedy, or in bad shape and in need of more
cash. Either way, it’s not good and for me most likely the end of my association
with them.

I had figured out on my own that the editing history is in the DB, and so I
figured that installing PL6 on top of PL5, then doing a backup of the DB,
unplugging the disk, plugging it into the new machine, and then installing PL6
on the new machine, and finally restoring that db backup on the new machine
would be the way to go. I asked support about this approach, and the answer I
got was, “Customers who have tried this in the past have not been happy with the
results.” Talk about someone who could care less about my problem. Almost
certainly didn’t talk to any developers, didn’t do any tests, nothing. Just a
heaping amount of apathy.

In point of fact, that IS the correct approach! I asked in an existing thread on
the topic earlier this year, and got several different answers (which tells you
how well architected and documented it is), but one kind soul actually tested it
for me. That’s supports job! But thanks again @platypus for testing, and to all
for responding with your knowledge and expertise. I learned a lot from YOU.

The more I learn about DxO, the less I like. As a software developer for many
years, I can tell you that even mediocre engineers will tell you that you NEVER
want to have more than one “source of truth”. PhotoLab has at least two that I
know of, the database, and the DOP files. Some info is in one, some in the
other. That is NOT a well architected system. It’s a mess. Given their apparent
lack of technical prowess, and the fact that they need to keep the plugins
working, I’d suggest they do away with the DB altogether and just use the DOP
files for everything, including editing history.

The DOP files are a bit of a mess too, though, right? They’re not compatible
between versions. Ugh. I don’t know their code base of course, but on the
surface that seems extremely easy to fix! The fact that they haven’t says
everything, to me.

If I were in charge of this software, I’d tell them to stop all work on new
features, and let’s fix these architectual problems right now. I worked on more
than one release that was just bug fixes, and both I and customers appreciated
that. Everyone one wins, because you’re hopefully removing the biggest
impediments people have to using your software, which reduces support costs.
It’s not sexy, but it works. Heck, you can even advertise them as features if
that makes it easier for you to actually fix them!

I’m thinking of starting a photography business, and I’ve come to believe that I
CANNOT trust DxO to help me do this. I’d like to, because there are aspects of
the software I really like. The camera/lens profiles that they pioneered are
great, and I love Local Adjustments (although others have something similar now
too). I don’t think they have the best RAW converter, just to disagree with some
of the comments in these forum threads I’ve read. Pretty much all the 3rd party
reviews give that honor to Capture One. I used it for a couple years, and I did
love the results. And they have their act together when it comes to
catalogs/sessions and managing files/data, unlike DxO. The thing I didn’t like
about Capture One was their interface, I found it clunky and hard to use. I was
also really busy with work (day job) at the time, so I just didn’t have the
time/patience to deal with it. Now I have more time and more motivation to try
again. I’ll probably do a lot of reading and watch some videos before I even

Honestly, I feel that DxO has made the Cardinal Sin in business: NEVER give the
customer a reason to look around. Why? Because if you do, they will almost
always find a reason to leave. There’s just too much competition in the
marketplace. This nonsense of keeping features hostage is just appalling. DxO’s
prices are so high, if you upgrade all 3 packages (PL, VP, FP) it’s $267. That’s
almost the FULL price of Capture One! And much more than the upgrade for Capture
One. I’ve definitely seen CO listed for $199 during the holidays, and maybe even
$149 like on a Black Friday sale. Upgrades are $179.

Besides the lack of caring from support, the horrible documentation is also
contributing to my feeling it’s time to leave DxO. Here are the things I’ve
looked up so far:

1. How to move images from one computer to another: not documented. 2. How to
    copy/move images from one disk to another: written so badly I couldn’t figure it
    out. 3. ICC files not supported in PL 7: this is just plain wrong in the PL 7
    docs. They are supported. 4. Soft proofing only supported in DXO Wide Gamut
    mode: also just plain wrong in PL 7 docs, you can do soft proofing in the
    “Classic” color space as well.

Does anyone proofread their docs?

Perhaps most damning of all, I just don’t agree with the latest major features
in PL 6 and 7. In version 6 it was the DXO Wide Gamut color space. I have to
admit, my photos look far, FAR better in that color space. But that’s only
useful to me if my monitor screen is my eventual target. For me, and I think
most of us, it’s not. We almost always want to print our best stuff, right? If
you do enough reading on color calibration, you’ll see the same phrase repeated
over and over – it’s not terribly useful to edit your photos in a color space
that’s wider than your eventual target.

Why? Because then you have to do soft proofing, and probably make MORE edits for
that target! If you just edit in the color space of the target, they probably
won’t look their absolute best, but you only have to edit them ONCE. Soft
proofing goes away altogether. So which would you rather do? Edit in the wide
gamut, and then have to soft proof and edit each photo, for each printer, or
just set the color gamut of the target and edit each photo once?

DxO coming up with their own color space, as well as only allowing 2 color
spaces to be set in the editor at all, just exudes hubris in my opinion. Unless
a lot of printers start adopting this color space, I don’t see how it’s terribly
useful. Why not use an existing wide color gamut? Because they think they know
better. EVEN if it IS better, it’s only useful to use in the editor if a lot of
other companies support it. I see that as being highly unlikely, certainly in
the short term. If ever.

Actually, this reminds me of some comments I saw recently about how DxO refuses
to use the corrections embedded in the RAW images from the camera manufacturers.
I’m sure they’re right that those aren’t as good as DxO’s corrections could be,
but they’re a HECK of a lot better than nothing! Which is what we’re left with.
Their refusal to not use them reeks of more hubris. There are ways to use those
image corrections that would make it clear it’s not as good as DxO’s; for
example, a popup that says something like, “We’re sorry, we don’t have a profile
for the camera/lens you’re using, would you like to use the manufacturers
corrections? Be warned they will not likely be as good as DxO’s profile would
be.” And then a checkbox that says “Don’t show me this again.” Probably very
poorly worded but it’s not intended to be something for a final product, just to
show that it’s possible to give the people something while still maintaining
your own standards.

But back to PL 6, which I naively purchased, what they SHOULD have done was NOT
limit us to 2 color spaces, but allowed us to set any ICC file we want as the
color space to edit our images. That they only gave us two again says hubris to
me, “We know better”. At least they did leave the Classic (AdobeRGB) color space
which a lot of printers use, but some still use sRGB. And as new printers come
out they might use different color spaces. We know PhotoLab can handle this
because that’s what soft proofing does, you set an ICC file and that’s the color
space you’re editing in. I’d rather just set the ICC file in the main editor,
and do away with soft proofing.

And PL 7 is even less appealing, I did a trial version. I don’t own a color
chart, but to use the main new feature in 7 I’d need to buy one (at least $50),
and carry it around and remember to use it. But I already have some things for
getting accurate colors, I have an Expo Disk, a generic version of the Expo
Disk, and a Kodak grey card which on the back is a white card. I’ve tested all
3, and all work, but for me the best results are in this order: Kodak white
card, Expo Disk, generic disk. Is the color chart better than the white card?
Maybe, but I doubt it. More importantly though, the white card solves the
problem further upstream, at the source. That’s really important. Any software
developer will tell you that the further upstream you solve a problem (or avoid
it), the cheaper/better/easier/simpler it is to change, that’s why design
meetings are done. With the white card, I just point the camera at it, click the
shutter (while in the proper Custom White Balance mode of course), and then all
my photos will have accurate colors. Done. With DxO’s solution, I have to
remember to carry around and use this OTHER thing, then back at the computer use
their solution on the first image and THEN apply it to all the photos that were
shot in the same light.

In my opinion, there’s only one way a company should ever try to lock in users,
and that’s by delighting them SO much they don’t even WANT to look around.
Sadly, very few companies even attempt this these days.

I’ve “met” some really terrific folks in these forums, and I want to thank them
again. If it weren’t for you, I probably would have bailed on DxO long ago. I
wish you all the best. But if things go as I suspect they will, I will be
leaving DxO software for something else.

Cheers,

Brian

7 Likes

I actually bought a datacolor chart (had to do some food photography) and as you wrote white card or gray card will be a decent solution for most of cases anyway datacolor has software that create a dcp file for Lightroom

Same Same
Same things for me too
Downloaded PL7 trial
Downloaded Lightroom trial
Uninstalled PL7, keep on with Lightroom
I’m not going to upgrade to PL7 even though it’s going to be a bout 69$ soon (Black Friday) as I assume.

Using PhotoLab or not is everyone’s free will’s choice, at least I hope so.
As any other software, DPL does a few things really well and other things are ho-hum. And then, we have expectations, which are absolutely not DxO’s responsibility, except for turning up the heat in their ads.

Ads are close enough to be true, but they paint the picture in brighter colours than those you actually imagine from what can be read. We need to read ads carefully (or not at all) and see what room for interpretation they offer, which is usually the size of the Sahara rather than of the handkerchief…that we’ll need to wipe off our tears of disappointment.

Anyways, the next trap is being readied as I write this. Black Friday discounts of up to nn%, which means that everything between 0 and nn is possible. Often, nn% discounts apply to the lowest-cost products, while more expensive products come at lower percentage discounts. Watch out!

Interesting to read,
I think about raw development they, DxOpl, have two strongpoints.
There prime, deeprime, deepprime plus which made me jump in.
As user if a old sensor m43 g80 jt did a wonderfull job against what i owned.
Silkypix 5 pro at the time.
Nowaday’s i think more rawdevelopers have denoising on par with DxO. Or that close that it isn’t visible without closely eyeballing your image wile comparing.
The other strongpoint is there optical module. It upgrades your image immidiately.
Again if your lens is known and camera. This advantage is maybe less on FF expensive lenses buton my panasonic m43 lenses whow.
Well three if you like using Upoint technology and there local adjustments.

The other thing i liked was the quick learning curve in the interface at first glance.
(yes after a wile use there was a shine true of confusion about how i could get what better and the service usermanual was ahum less informative as hoped.
Example Silkypix is also a small company but there usermanual is detailed and you can fast jump to the desired header by clicking in the application on the ? Mark.)
By having spent alot of time on this forum and talked about all kind of stuff with dxo forum friends i and we have digged up alot of knowledge but the official support site could be improved in the years but i am not spending much time there. So can’t say it is bad or good i have to spent time there to say so.

Lightroom was also on my mind when i wanted a better developer.
Ddoplv1.2 timestamp.
I found it overwhelming and i spent hours to find things i wanted to do on my image development. There automated preset was nice but i am rather myself in the driverseat. At least i like to know what they did and how. (So i can replicate and adjust to my liking.) there subscription system was putting me off.
Subscritions have the rather unpleasant habit to drain your account quitedly and the yearly inflationcorrection can cause some pain on your budget. So when your have to skim monthly spendinghabits and skip a subscription the application dies on your pc and is not usable anymore. I rather like a subscription which allow you to upgrade versions until you terminate the subscription and then it stops upgrading but it will keep on working as it did just before the subscription was ended.

For me as home hobby user any subscription developer is a money drain and not a birthday present candicate.

Do i have frustrations in dxo pl? Oh yes certainly but i know the grass that’s greener and higher in the field on the other side of the fence cloaks the cowdrop from which it’s grows. :yum:

All those color grading features are made because people asked them to implement them. And some of them are useless for my kind of work.
What i would like to have is a option to 3D visualize any rawfile inside a choosen colorspace. (to check if it’s inside or have pieces outside in it’s initial state.)
The blue and red mask is rudimentair imho.
It’s all about how the information is brought to you as user.
We have
1 camera sensors “colorspace” and the data which is holding the image. Often the image DR is smaller then the DR of the camera.
2 the working colorspace of the rawdeveloper. Which needs to be as large as the maximum camera colorspace. (camera colorspace is virtual colorspace because rawdata has no color only interpretation of colors.) So it can replicate the raw data as close as posible.
3 the desired export colorspace which must be inside the export gamut of the device/paper of choice.
This is simple and easy to understand.
The problem start with the generic and (hand)madeprofiles and the saturationprotection algorithms.
The blinky’s aka clipping warningtools
Histogram info.
Monitor colorprofile and gamut
And the interaction between all these factors.

To read and interpretate those could be cumbersome so a good and clear visualsation of those data is a priority. Acomplised with a detailed usermanual.
The what saying what? The what’s happening where? The what is effecting the other?
The what solves the problem and effects also what other things? Kind of info.

I am not sure how other developerapplications handle this kind of stuff but often it’s not the capability’s a program has it’s the presentage of use we can acomplish which makes us happy to use it.

To end with a successtory:back in the day’s Lamborghini was a small piece of the pie in supercar selling because they build fast cars who broke down often and tried to kill you where ever they could. So Audi took controle and fitted there fourwheeldrive system and fitted there electronics but leave the carroserie design as is was on the table of Lamborghini. From that time your granny could drive the car if she could get in that is.:yum: it was still beautifule and mindblowing fast but it didn’t needed F1 driverskills in order not be killed by any mistake you made. And if your skilles where up to the task you could sush the aids and take over controle.

Maybe DxO needs something like this. A big brother who’s helping out but stays low behind the curtains. So they can keep there signature and improve the things which are too timeconsuming and resources draining to handle them selfs.

I like things which are different then common and that can be bring some user difficulties and workarounds but that’s fine aslong as the result is to my satisfaction.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like