How to create photos like "the masters", and is PhotoLab a useful tool?

400mm and here is the uncropped version…

Rabies doesn’t exist in France.

I had to open our verandah door a bit at a time, very slowly, whilst keeping an eye on when the fox was looking away. It looked at me as soon as I pressed the shutter and I just managed to get three shots off before he disappeared under the hedge.

Curious, did you get a good shot just as the fox decided to leave?

You “did good!” …as always!

Just thinking out loud… in what way is the “pipe character” not a valid character in Windows? Can Windows be configured to see it as just another character?

I think @Wolfgang can edit my images with no problem. The “pipe character” apparently doesn’t exist in Windows. Apparently after he edits my images, and posts the results, the problem is at my end, because I’m not sure where to save these pipe-character-less files.

Maybe a better solution is for Wolfgang to just do what he’s used to doing already, and I will save his files in a new folder at my end, where everything will be the same but for the slightly different file names. Wolfgang can do just what he is already doing, but I will then download both his “.dop” file, and the image file into a new “Wolfgang folder” on my computer.

I seem to spend a huge amount of time figuring out what Wolfgang did, and why, so a separate folder at my end is no problem, and probably even better for me.

Is this acceptable?

There are several characters that are not recognised in a Windows file name and that includes the pip character. Your idea of running a separate folder. I would have thought very acceptable.

It’s a done-deal. I’ll upload files like I have done. When anyone with Windows works on them, the pipe character will vanish, and when I download the edits, I will have one separate folder maybe named “Windows-Edits”.

What are the other characters that Windows does not recognize? Does Windows just “not see” the character, as if it didn’t exist?

I do still have one Windows computer, my old Lenovo W530 laptop. I guess I should install one of my older versions of PhotoLab on it, just for the heck of it. I used to think I knew Windows fairly well, but I’ve forgotten almost all of it…

Read the posts and don’t keep asking or finding a different solution.
Post 315 from @Wolfgang. It’s not a matter that windows doesn’t recognize them, but they are reserved characters.

George

1 Like

@mikemyers

IF you want to communicate with Windows users, you have to use compatible filenames.

Sorry, my mistake. I will ask correctly now: In addition to the “pipe character”, what other characters does windows “reserve”?

And see this post for the best workflow to share such a file

Just for your information, macOS allows all but one of the Windows reserved characters so, if you really want to make a file or folder totally unreadable for Windows users, you can even do something like this…

Capture d’écran 2022-05-22 à 19.22.59

:crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

It was mentioned by @Wolfgang in a former post. It 's getting boring.

george

I am at my brother’s home near Fellsmere, Florida, out in the country. He has a 5-acre plot of land, and shares with with lots of local critters. I brought along my repaired D750, and two zooms. I went out walking with him around the property late afternoon yesterday, and we were greeted by some rabbits that wanted nothing to do with us, and even less to do with my brother’s dog. Towards the end of our walk, my brother went off on his own, taking his dog home, and I stayed in a field with two rabbits that were pretending to ignore us. So, I figured if I took my time, maybe a photo op would present itself.

My camera should have recognized I was in Colorado a few weeks ago, but it didn’t, so I set it manually. I forget to set it back to Florida until late last night. I need to remember these things. Anyway, as long as I stood still, the rabbits seemed to ignore me. I slowly moved a little closer (not much) and to an angle I thought would make the rabbits look better. Rabbit #1 stood its ground, but #2 gradually approached it, until they were next to each other. So, I changed what I was doing to get a photo of both rabbits together. My 70-300 was set to 300, and I followed the advice here to use auto-ISO. Knowing that the ISO could have gone much higher, I wish I had set a much higher shutter speed, but I didn’t think I would need it. I wondered about aperture, but decided I should leave it where I had it, and focus precisely on the rabbit closest to me. The other rabbit would be less sharp, but I thought that was good. Rabbit #2 started cleaning its paws, which made the photo even better. After I got my favorite photos, the rabbits decided to move off, as did I.

Editing was going to be with PhotoMechanic then PL5, both of which needed to be updated. I played around with various crops, and gave up on my original idea for the photo, cropping in very close, which shows what I wanted people to see, a close, detailed look at the pair of bunnies, relaxing.

Durn, I’ve tried six times to copy the raw image file here, and each time I get the same error message “Draft is being edited in another window. Please reload this page.” I know I’ve got a poor internet connection, but how to I get around this?

Here’s the exported image, but I’m not sure why I can’t upload the raw file…

Did you read those former links. If yes, did you understand it? It’s polite to let the posters to know if their efforts where useful.

Why should your camera have recognized you’re in Colorado?? You can adjust the local time but if you didn’t adjust the time zone too, then you will have the wrong universal time.

What do you mean with this? If it’s a matter of getting only one rabbit sharp or two rabbits sharp you must deal with the aperture. It’s all half info.

George

I used to come here every day, many times each day. For the past month or so, I’ve been too involved in too many things. I’m sure I haven’t yet read “those former links”, or I would have responded and remembered. I’m way behind, and now I’m out of town again, and like before, with very poor internet access. I expect that to improve next week.

Totally my fault - my other devices recognize where I’m at, and adjust the settings accordingly, but not my current cameras. I adjusted the location and the time the first chance I had in Colorado, and I adjusted both again the evening that I posted the rabbits photo. Guilty as charged. Yes, I do realize what you said. The better way to do this from now on, will be to make these adjustments before I even leave home, so when I arrive in a new place the cameras are already set. Yep, my mistake…

I guess I didn’t write it clearly enough - I knew the choices, and deliberately set the camera to capture the image I posted, the way I wanted it. Yes, deal with the aperture, and being able to use a high ISO, I could have used a very high shutter speed AND closed down the aperture. I focused on the near rabbit, then the far rabbit, and decided what I wanted, which is what I posted.

I’m not suggesting what I did was “right” or “wrong”, only that it is what I wanted to capture, but next time the shutter speed will be much higher.

When I write stuff like I did up above, it’s a summary of what was going through my mind at the time, and an explanation of why I used the settings I did. When you see the original file, you’ll realize how much I cropped it. Hmm, I will try once more to upload the raw file…nope, no good. Same error message.

Once I get home, and have good internet, I will upload two versions of these files, one for Mac and another for Windows. Depending on what computer other people have, they can select the best version for them, which for you will be Windows, and there will be no “pipe symbol” in the file name. That should satisfy everyone, whatever computer they are using.

I would like to continue getting your feedback, but I have no desire to change over the filing system on my Mac Mini, my iMac, and my MacBook Pro. Hopefully this new concept makes it satisfactory for anyone/everyone. At my end, I will copy my raw files into a new sub-folder named Windows, and remove the pipe character before editing. It’s more work for me, but it should work well for everyone.

Agreed - that’s how I will deal with it at my end. Thank You!!!

Thank you Joanna - when I get home next Monday, that will be my workflow. It sounds very easy. None of it seems to matter this week, while I’m in Fellsmere, Florida, as I haven’t found a way to upload files. Last time I visited, the uploading was slow, but it worked. Oh well.

Hi George - Yes, as Mark suggests, that was me.

I use a “wrapper” that first deletes the database (plus thumbnails & cache) and then invokes PL … I do so because I’d rather depend on sidecar/.dop files than risk database corruption (plus, I have no interest in any of the database-specific features; DAM, Projects, History, etc)

Here it is, in Win10 CMD format (I compile this to an EXE): Invoke_PL50(ClrDB+Cache).zip (401 Bytes)

CAUTION: Running this (on a Win10 machine) will delete your PLv5 database.

John M

It was for Mike. But he is on Mac and I don’t think he wants to move.

George

John you had shared this in another thread, I think it was the one on moving folders. I have been using your cmd file on my new PC and neglected to thank you. It’s working very well for me. Since I use a separate DAM I have no desire to have PL involved in my metadata. So thank you. :slight_smile:

Rod

1 Like

Moving from Mac to Windows because DxO is incapable of developing a proper working database would be topscore for the hitlist of “nonsensical reasons to switch to another OS” :crazy_face: :laughing: