Focusing Techniques on new Digital Cameras

For sure - it’s not the camera, it’s the photographer.

I’m no “Joanna”, but I enjoy this, a lot!
Judging from the photos being posted in this forum, there’s a LOT of very talented people here. I enjoy looking at, and reading about, the photos posted here.

(…and when I was young, I have to admit that I thought it WAS the camera that counted - as in, if I could only buy all that great stuff, I too could take photos like “they” did. That whole concept vanished, when I bought the new camera gear but my photography did NOT benefit from it.)

Too much typing - need to stop typing, and try new and different things with my cameras.

Why do I have the feeling that didn’t change?

George

Indeed. Unless it is possible to show the areas that the AF locked onto, which it is not, there is no profit at all.

It’s worked for me for 60 years.

Nope

And, in so doing, deprogram them from their original purposes, which would still be needed.

So what’s wrong with applying the same principals to your D780? You have the same mechanism for assigning buttons.

Amen to that!

Codswallop and Balderdash!!!

Totally agreed. Here are a couple of shots from 2005, taken with my old D100 and the 80-400mm zoom at 400mm…

With only 6Mpx, the D100 had an APS-C sensor, so that gave me an effective focal length of 600mm without having to shell out several thousand pounds on a prime of that length :smiley:

Very nice - those images demonstrate it’s not the camera that counts most, it’s the photographer.

Next time I visit Wakodahatchee Wetlands, once the birds return from their summer adventures, I’ll likely program two buttons for autofocus, then return them to their normal settings when I come home.

As to the Nikon Z8 and Z9, my friend Ray showed me they come loaded with software specifically designed for bird photography. He has one button devoted to birds, and each time he presses it, it scrolls through the various software programs designed for capturing photos of birds. This is his public image gallery:
Ray (@rgs3264) • Instagram profile
Those images speak for themselves.

It comes down to using the best camera to achieve what a photographer is trying to do. My D780 is newer than my D3, and Ray’s Z7 (or even his Z6 III) are newer yet. After a few hours of working with Ray’s Nikon gear, I wonder if I can capture images like he does with the cameras I’ve got now. Not sure, but I am certainly going to try. My D780 is supposed to be very similar to Ray’s old D6 II. Anyway, the weak link for me is myself, not my camera, so it’s obvious, at least to me, that it’s ME that needs to learn how to do better.

To be continued. Anyway, my new camera is all wrapped up in bubble-wrap for my upcoming India trip. My brother will be staying at my home while I’m gone, but his only camera is his iPhone.

You have another new camera?

Oops, bad choice of words here. I should have written “newest”, as in my D780.

Yesterday Ray gave me what was left of his old D3, but it does have a few “issues”. Ditto for the big lens that was destroyed.

It’s what is left of a D3 that was involved in an awful fall. The frame is cracked too.
Even if I could get it fixed, I have no idea what I would do with it. I do have people in India who can fix broken cameras that are damaged beyond repair, and the repair cost in Rupees is a lot less than what it costs here… but why even bother.

Could you stop creating subject with title that maybe could interest people then talk about anything in it ? Subjects which furthermore can last for years !!!.
Ok, you’re happy to get a broken camera and it will be hard to apply any focus technique with it, but who cares ?

How many cameras will you have if you fix this one?

Make your life easier without which camera to use questions, bundle them up sell em all just have one with a 3 lenses.

Five useful cameras:.

• Fuji X100F
  • Nikon D3
  • Nikon D780
  • Leica M10
  • Leica M8.2 (for infrared)

This is in addition to my old film cameras, and collectable cameras, unlikely to ever use again. I highly doubt I will fix this broken one - if I get it working, I have a friend in India I’ll likely give it to. I’ve also got my Nikon D2x which I won’t use again, and my Nikon Df that I don’t use, but it keeps going up in value. I’ve also got several very small cameras, which I no longer use. Many of these I would eventually like to sell, perhaps to KEH.

Perhaps you forgot the title for this particular forum:

Share your images & Chat

Lots of more specific forum discussions, which you might enjoy more:
https://forum.dxo.com/categories

No @mikemyers , you’ve missed the point.

The title of this topic is ‘Focusing Techniques on new Digital Cameras’. It’s a topic you created. Yet out of the blue you add a post to this topic that’s got nothing to do with the subject of the topic, a post about a wrecked camera.

The golden rule of any topic in any forum anywhere, is STAY ON TOPIC. It’s not hard.

1 Like

You are right, that was a mistake on my part. Oops.
Sorry about that.
I changed the title for the thread, to reflect the “drift”.

Click bait, nothing else.

I didn’t forgot the title of your topic.
And didn’t forgot you’ve responded this kind thing thousand of time …
So as you responded thousand of time too, better not open a subject you create. Unless for fun.
(Pretty sure you will like “unless for fun” and that you will continue with a novel on this theme).

@mikemyers please don’t change the thread title to accommodate your drift. Just follow the guidelines for these forums and either stay on topic or start a new thread.

3 Likes

Agreed.
I doubt anyone here actually watched those two YouTube videos I posted.
If they had, my questions would have made more sense.
I know what is in the manuals.
Those videos, especially the second, went beyond the text in the manual.
I expected the discussion to stay on Nikon’s new focusing aids for bird photography.

Agreed about the drift, shouldn’t have posted that here.
Guilty as charged.

My camera is the Canon R5, which has Face Detect autofocus.

The face detect works GREAT… except that not everything is a face! Or, ai was shooting hummingbirds recently and wanted to pre-focus to the feeder, so that focus would be extra fast.

On my camera, one back button is face detect, and another is object focus… the kind we had on our DSLRs. The mode switches as fast as I can move my thumb from button to button. No need to take the camera from my eye; it just switches instantly.

Eye detect is for sure the best when your subject is a person or an animal. But if you’re shooting two or more people, face detect might not be ideal. It depends.

1 Like

Some people here may know and understand the Canon R5, but I’'m not at all familiar with it. Can you maybe upload a few of your images?

So do what everyone else would and Google for information. Stop asking people to spoon feed you stuff. It’s not like you’ve not been given this advice before either.

1 Like

Why? I just asked to see some of his photos.