DxO PhotoLab 6 tips for 'missing features?'

I use adobe bridge which is free when you are sign in adobe.
I have in preferences of dxopl write metadata off. (when i want to change something i use bridge. Only thing i add in dxopl is geodata of googlemaps. Which i do that i use the manual command export metadata to selected images. This way you don’t mess up the xmp files too much by the use of two captains on one ship.

You can also start project from bridge to export to dxopl. Select multiple images in bridge and open those in dxopl.

There is the display hide show list and a search tool. Which can be used for shuttertime, focal length, keywords, aperture and such.
Together better then bridge which seems to be one folder only.

You are not talking nonsense. PL’s print dialog is dire.

@bobrocke you have a Mac. Export from PL at the required size, 240ppi to a TIFF file and then use either the Preview app or the ColorSync app provided with the OS. Far easier and more reliable.

The answer is blowing in the wind…
It’s in the pipeline, we are debating about the road we will taken for the solution…

In the mean time feel free to delete the database from now and then.
Be aware of deleting then also projects.
Use xmp’s and turn off auto write of metadata if you have adobe keywords structure in preferences. Use manual selected images and manual export command instead so yo can control which and what. Use read only modes for keywords.
(i am better save then sorry knowing not very much about the xmp and other hieracical structures which can be fu…ed up beyond repair by mismanagement or different ways of management in two applications.
As long as i need bridge for templates and start keyword tagging also there i keep dxo away from updating xmp file’s in automodes. Just to be sure.

I’ll give that a try.

That’s a shame. But I guess you have to do some extra steps to print.

Maybe a interesting thread?

I don’t find it that onerous and it does mean that, if I want, I can keep the TIFF ready for printing without having to go through all the setup again. If I don’t want to print it again in the near future, I can simply delete it and re-export when I do.

I have a Canon Pro 1000 A2 printer, which comes with its own print manager, which is far more sophisticated than using the standard print dialog from any app.

DXO PhotoLab is closer to Adobe Bridge than Adobe Lightroom when it comes to images being viewed and ready to work on. I personally used to use Lightroom for cataloging but found myself a hostage when I wanted to use Capture One or any other programs, because every catalog seem to be somewhat prosperity. Once I got burned like that I now use just plain old fashion folder structure and no matter what program I use they all read it as it should be. My personal recommendation is to consider that for the future in case you want to use other programs. But that is just my experience. Since I don’t work on large collection of images at the time and use other programs for management of images. I like how DXO is ready to work by simply opening it and browsing the folder. On windows there is an option to right click on an image and open up the location in DXO so its really easy and fast to start working. I prefer that over having to import everything first.

That being said there are dedicated image database programs out there that specialize in large image collection search and all that. So maybe that is another alternative. It requires additional program, but I don’t know what kind of photography do you do, because some photographers shoot only few dozen shots and some shoot thousands, so different needs.

Yes and no…it really depends on what you do.

Examples (tested with DPL6 on macOS Monterey)

• Rename files with PhotoLab open and with PhotoLab (bulk) rename → avoids issues
  • Rename files with PhotoLab open and with Finder (bulk) rename → avoids issues
  • Rename files with PhotoLab closed and with Finder (bulk) rename → causes issues
  • Move files with PhotoLab open by dragging files in DPL to folder in DPL Library → causes issues
  • Move files with PhotoLab open by dragging files in Finder → causes issues
  • Move files with PhotoLab closed by dragging files in Finder → causes issues
  • etc.

Please note that

1. Re-indexing (parts of) your photo library will NOT fix issues, but might make them worse.
    → The only reliable way to fix the DB is to trash the DB and re-index the whole lot.
    → Manual DB backups help against crashes, but not against issues caused by e.g. renaming.
  2. PhotoLab will NOT import or apply any developments you did with RAW files in Lightroom.
  3. PhotoLab will only import metadata edited in Lightroom iff these changes have been saved in the source files (JPEG, TIFF, DNG) or .xmp sidecar files (RAW)

Switching from Lr (or any other RAW developer) to PhotoLab is … best done e.g. if you decide to switch gear from Pentax to Sony. Leave your Pentax files in Lr and do Sony files in DPL.

I usually customize images over and over again, so the loss mentioned in 2. above is therefore not that terrible for me. But any issue with metadata is. YMMV!

Also check your cost of ownership over a few years with DxO’s current upgrade pricing policy.

• Cost of first license + upgrade costs if you upgrade every year (best upgrade price)
  • Cost of first license + upgrade costs if you upgrade every 2nd year (good upgrade price)
  • Cost of first license + upgrade costs if you upgrade every 3rd year (buy new license instead)
  • All of the above vs. Adobe subscription. DxO and Adobe can offer discounts e.g. for black friday!
  • What’s the price difference vs. the balance of (evolving) capabilities?

New gear is available in the current and current-1 versions of DPL - with DxO’s current update policy.

Oops, that’s a long one :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I, too, have my images in a folder structure.

Photo Mechanic appears to be fine software, and often used. But it’s expensive and something else to learn and manage. My photography leads to a few images for a while and then dozens in a short period.

PhotoLab is evolving and has added the PhotoLibrary ‘recently,’ so it’s hard to say what direction it may go in v7. I can only hope for improved DAM features. Or, if I can’t live with the limitations, go back to Lightroom Classic or ON1 Photo RAW.

1 Like

I will stay alert. And make backups.

I, too, tend to go back and re-edit my better images from the past to see what new raw technologies can accomplish along with any new skills I may have developed.

Yes. I think this is in part why DXO can export Linear DNG’s for those who still rely on other programs like Lightroom or Capture one or On1, but want the image processing ability of DXO. The downside is duplicate files and larger file size off course, but it still a crossover option I guess.

Its possible. Will have to wait and see.

Not to take this thread too far off course, but…

It seems to me that PhotoLab’s lens corrections and denoise technology are the best in the business. Are there other stand out abilities I’m missing.

Lightroom and Photo RAW are very competent programs themselves. They use the built-in lens correction data in modern cameras – very good, but not as good. Their denoise algorithms are very good, but not as good. And the gap is narrowing.

Yes. Lens correction strategy of the DXO is somewhat different than that on other companies, like Adobe or Phase One etc. Usually these companies are quick to release their lens correction profiles in order to support the new gear that comes out, but DXO takes its time and does more accurate correction. It supports less lenses and camera bodies, sometimes it releases the profile for camera or lens six months or year after initial release, but its usually worth the wait. Although the release cycle and support has been sped up in recent times.

There was a good video on the difference in makes, especially for wide angle lenses.

The noise reduction is probably over all the best with most control, with new Adobe Noise Reduction AI being very close second and Topaz DeNoise AI probably being third. Although Topaz is updating their AI models more often and also works on non RAW images as well. The advantage of DXO PhotoLab over Lightroom is that it does not require creation of separate DNG file to apply noise reduction and demoseicing, it can be done in the app itself. Saving storage space, and time on processing.

Well, I would say DXO works slightly differently than other programs, but I would say the most underrated tools are Color Pandering with ability to simulate so many different camera bodies and rendering profiles that its really hard not to find the perfect color rendering of so many. Also one can load custom color profiles that one has created or directly from Adobe to more closely match the color rendering.

Also DXO wide color gamut working space and ability to protect out of gamut colors is really I think underrated, since its really the best way to work with color right now.

Also Clear View and Smart Lighting are really amazing tools with Smart Lighting having ability to apply very selective and useful dynamic range adjustments. Combined with other tools, its really easy to get perfect dynamic range for almost any image and do it quickly. I use that all the time.

Also contrast controls can be very useful since they can be applied in shadows, mid tone and highlights with three levels of contrast. Useful for all kinds of images and creative work.

Film grain simulation that comes with Elite version of the PhotoLab is also very useful and very well made, matching closly the analog counterparts. Also the ability to correct for complex perspective issues is probably the best out there, and there is a great way to bring back some of the distortion to correct for distorted faces with wide angle lenses. Useful when shooting close up of group portraits with wide angle lens.

There a lot of these little things in the program that I find maybe not revolutionary but really easy to use and pretty powerful. Like Lens sharpening panel, that really can make a big differences in quality of the image, especially for softer lenses and smaller sensors.

Also control points and other local adjustments are quite powerful for almost any tone and color adjustment you would want to make, realistically speaking. I think people need to spend more time with them to figure out how it works, but its quite powerful and I don’t see many advantages to AI masking like in Lightroom in a non compositing environment, where you only need color and tone adjustment, because I’m virtually aways able to get color and tone adjustments I want with existing tools.

For the sake of brevity, I’ll just use it in a way I don’t normally use it, but to illustrate that it can be precise if one wants to.

There are quite a bit other small things that I like DXO as a tool, but those are some I think might be a bit different than other tools. Its not that C1 or Lr are not capable RAW processing programs, its just different way of working I guess.

1 Like

Dxo is good at testing camera+lens combo and giving a solution that makes feel your lens are better than they are.
They are good when it’s about denoising at high iso (even if adobe power will kill their advance on it).

But apart from that about every tool is embrionaires and should be developped better.
Interface is old and miss a lot of basic stuffs most softwares have since decades.

DxO is a good testing gear company with a demosaicer which takes advantage of this. Not a good software development company. Every new tool is extremly !!! long to produce and never complete and far from what exists now in modern digital image softwares.

3 Likes

I have a directory of 6-7 images that have metadata I want to copy from. I copy the metadata from the appropriate photo and paste it onto a selection of photos. It’s the only workaround I know…

It would be better if there were presets.

1 Like

I am still trying to get my head around control points (and lines). But I see the potential and agree that they may allow necessary adjustments without AI masking (and make a more subtle effect).

1 Like

Are you suggesting that Lightroom and Photo RAW provide better tools beyond lens correction?

There used to be (for Author/Creator & Copyright) - but this capability was “broken” when PL introduced the IPTC interface … I agree - it would be helpful to have this re-introduced.

This is the “secret sauce” for DxO. I never had a camera that could take sharp photos until I owned PhotoLab. Now I find out all of my cameras took sharp photos. DeNoising is the marketing feature (and it is remarkably good) but for me the real feature that keeps me from using anything else is the lens modules. They are, in my view, unequalled. It’s what makes PureRAW a compelling product — the secret sauce in a black box (OK my metaphor may break down here. :smiley: )