DNG files should all work out of the box

Then there would not be any reason to post process a photo with PL as the software’s strengths are not utilised.
Wrong tool for that kind of work.

So jpg should be blocked as well on that basis. Total rubish as there are lots of corrections that can be done to jpg
Again I dont whant to have to use different programs for what are RAW from my phone from the one I use for RAW from the cameras

I’ve never said that anything should be blocked.
I merely stated that PLs strength is not with JPEGs and that it’s the wrong tool for such work.

But we can edit with many pl tools jpg why not DNG be allowed to use the same ones

PL is a raw converter. It converts the raw file to a RGB raster image. Further edits are done on that image. Only some functions work on the raw: exposure correction, white balans and some noise reductions. I hope I didn’t forget some. That are these functions that you can’t use with a jpg.

George

Jpeg is quite straightforward of what it is and what is not. DNG is a container, not a format. And it can be ambiguous about what is inside the container.

DNG can be edited in DXO, but not all DNG’s can be edited in DXO and that is because not all DNG’s re the same. Why people insist it misunderstanding the fundamental nature of what DNG is, is beyond me.

“DNG is both a raw image format and a format that supports “non-raw”, or partly processed, images.”

• Digital Negative (DNG) Specification, Adobe.

The latter (non-raw) format is known as “Linear DNG” which is what DXO supports. They have a dedicated page for reasons.

…………………………………………………………………………….

DNG is a file type that was developed by Adobe Systems Inc. to address a number of issues that surround raw file image processing. It provides a documented file structure that can standardize the way camera information is stored. It also provides some important capabilities for non-destructive parametric image editing.

Introduction

The DNG file format takes its name from the concept of a Digital Negative. It is a file format suitable for the storage of raw digital camera information. It has been developed by Adobe as a standardized file structure for the various kinds of information that live inside an image file.

In addition to standardizing the basic information structure, DNG provides for the storage of other kinds of data that are useful in parametric image editing. This includes processing instructions, image metadata, verification tools, color profiles and more.

While some cameras have adopted the DNG format as an in-camera raw format, it’s also possible to convert files to DNG at some later point in the workflow. Much of the discussion on this page will outline the characteristics and workflow associated with a DNG converted from a proprietary raw file.

DNG provides a very robust and useful workflow tool for modern imaging software, particularly for imaging of digital camera raw files. DNG also provides important functionality for the preservation of your image file – and your processing intent – in a photographic archive.

https://dpbestflow.org/DNG#comparing-raw-dng

"The DNG is based on the TIFF/EP (Tagged Image File Format/Electronic Photography) standard, which is an extension of the widely-used TIFF format. It uses a hierarchical structure of tags to store image data and metadata. DNG is designed to be extensible and flexible, allowing for the inclusion of new tags and features as needed.

In a DNG file, the image data and metadata are organized into a series of Image File Directory (IFD) entries. Each IFD entry contains a set of tags that describe a specific aspect of the image, such as its dimensions, color profile, or compression method. The DNG format also supports the embedding of additional data, such as thumbnail images and proprietary metadata from the camera manufacturer."

If mere convenience is the goal, OK, just open the darn files. If there is something more to be achieved using DxO PL, then you have posed the critical questions.

I think optical corrections are simply off the table. There is no way that DxO PL or other apps will be able to equal or better the computational algorithms being used by the top phone manufacturers.

For me, the denoising question is more interesting, but I’m unaware of any app applying denoising at the demosaicing stage. iPhone ProRaw hybrid images (demosaiced) use in-camera stacking of multiple images. Taking advantage of this approach is usually better for me than dealing with true, single image, raw files, which I find often very noisy and a bear generally.

My current workflow takes phone DNG files (all types) through RAW Power for global edits, if needed, exporting as full-sized TIFFs. These I often resize, denoise, and sharpen in Topaz Photo AI. Convenient, hardly, but it works.

How can you complain about things being inconvenient and yet use a Windows PC instead of a MAC with a proper Apple display?

I would be surprised if phone manufacturers didn’t develop the best algorithms for the hardware that they produce.

Please do describe what you consider to be a convenient workflow and which functions within PhotoLab you need that would require being able to open DNG files from which device.

It is also unlikely that it’s only a matter of adding the code required but also ongoing licensing fees, that may change at any time at the discretion of the phone manufacturer. Unlike:

Heheheh :rofl:

I can’t image you are “underexposed”, but please don’t get silly.

1 Like

Uh, on my iPad RAW Power seems to work just fine.

99% of my embedded jpegs are underexposed and I was being serious.

PhotoLab on an iPad? That is not DxO PhotoLab.

If necessary, I feed DxO PL full-size TIFFs with an embedded P3 profile. I’m not needing or wanting anything further from DxO PL with regard to phone DNGs. If they come up with something, great, I will compare it to my current workflow.

RAW Power as described above. Edited to clarify.

RAW Power is not from DxO either.

@Wolfgang now I’m being (a bit) silly. Were you being silly when insisting that you couldn’t use Nik plugins from within Affinity Photo but had to export as jpg or tif first instead?

At his opportunity to have something on topic in this post, I’d like to again point out(in relation to the request):

Good one, Joanna! Yea, had that coming I suppose. Don’t think I haven’t been tempted to jump fence from time to time. But maybe too old now to learn so many new tricks! I will admit to thinking hard about getting an upgraded iPad Pro though, as the new Nik Bhatt / Gentleman Coders Nitro for Mac app seems promising. When the iOS version is launched, I will trial, but will surely need something more powerful.

no need to invent something

What exactly is invented?

please read what you have written …

Well I didn’t expect to provoke such excitement.

My SL3 has generic / preliminary support in Lightroom / Adobe Camera RAW / Apple Photos, just using the coefficients provided by the DNG. Not perfect, but neither is the Leica firmware.

I’m touched by the faith that people show in the lens corrections that DXO offers. For example, they consider the Leica APO 35mm Summicron to be of comparable quality to the Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm F2.8 ZA. It isn’t. (I have both.)

Anyway, they need to provide at least initial support for the SL3.