Consider the growing analog film photographers

Just a side remark: The topic is terra incognita for me, but it’s nice to get a feeling of something new. It also “explained” why ‘Flip’ was available in FilmPack only, something I was curious about.

Orientation is written in two places. Try them both.

George

I also use VueScan, (and Lightroom) but there are a couple of long-running threads that PL does not properly support DNG. It does not support DMG from VueScan, The problem being a lot of museums, galleries, archives globally have standardized on DNG etc have scanned billions of old images to DNG. A DNG that almost everyone except PL supports :frowning:

Thankfully there are no lack of alternatives for all those archivists.

Yes, one is for the camera orientation and one is for the orientation of the image (RAW and/or built-in JPEG. On Canon cameras, te orientation can be set to adapt, be it on the camera’s or the computer’s screen. How these settings are reflected in metadata, I cannot say because i’ve not specifically tested tor these cases.

I am on holidays in Sevilla now. But when i remember one is in the exif and one in the makernotes. They both just tell the reading program what sequence to use reading the file. I think though not sure that PL is using the makernotes. Or the other way around.

George

I feed my raw files from a reprophoto of a negative - color or b&w - into Darktable’s Negadoctor tool which swaps the negative to a positive while taking care of color un-balance from the filmbase, among others. Negadoctor can be moved to an early point in the processing pipe line so the later introduced tools - initially Exposure - works directly as opposed to having its effect inverted. Over all, Darktable is a brilliant - free - raw manager with an advanced non-AI masking system. This is my choice as a disappointed PhotoLab7 owner, who has worked with all the leading brands of raw editors on the market.
If I have a pixel-based problem, e.g. a missing corner, or a half person, I use the very good and cheap Affinity Photo 2 for replacements.

Hi,
I am fond of digitalizing old and very old photographs, negatives and slides (including plates from the 19th century).
I use VueScan for an Epson (for wide negatives and plates) and a Reflecta 10 M for 24x36 and export in tiff. VueScan is great at inverting and restoring faded colours. DPL is efficient on these tiff files. I can even correct (if not too far from what I wish) white balance on old slides and colour negatives.
I often correct vigneting, which is common in old lenses, and it works well.
And with the distorsion tool I can improve some wide angle photos (such as the 24 mm side of a Canon 24-85).
Maybe I have been so used to working on older documents that I don’t see DPL’s limitations?