Colour Management in PL6

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_create_DCP_color_profiles

Its a problem opening imiges edited in 5 (or earlier). I copied imige to clean folder and opened in 6 used all same adjustmentss no problem. Deleted database and dops in the originl folder and again no problem. Put the original dops back and the problem is back.

I just downloaded your image and loaded it in both PL5 and PL6 with no apparent problem like you are demonstrating.

What am I meant to have to do to reproduce it?

I think it’s a problem from 5 into 6. I redid it clean in 6 and no problems. Replaced with the original dops and back.
f that’s so it could be the problem is a possably of how DCP in 5 worked and 6 not dealing with this diffrence in earlier versions? But the result is any edits with DCP may have to be redone if used in 6.

I believe that soft proofing is a tool that is used only when you want to check what your output will look like when you output to a particular device. This means to me is that it is only used when required and not permanently on. I have not come across ANY other app that requires soft proofing to be on in order to get normal WYSIWYG.

We were all very happy with how PL5 worked, so why can’t PL6 work the same way even with wide gamut working space and the additional SP tool? We are all battling with PL6 because of some weird choices DXO has made and then kept us in the dark with a total lack of information and feedback no matter how much we try to figure what is going on or with suggestions to improve PL6.

3 Likes

DxO seems to want to march to their own tune on such things. Sometimes they are true innovators. Sometimes it’s awkward. It’s good that we have this platform and support to make our opinions known. Meanwhile, they are starting to communicate their own reasoning on their support pages a bit more. In case anyone here hasn’t seen these:

I work on a sRGB monitor and I export my images using the sRGB color profile: why do the exported images look different compared to what I see on screen while editing? – Help center (dxo.com)

Why is the “ICC profile used for display” option missing from the “Preferences/Common” options? (Windows only) – Help center (dxo.com)

1 Like

Thanks for your links @Egregius, I had not visited there in a while :frowning:

I have just remembered why I do NOT want to have SP on all the time! When you use the Compare button you will compare with the image WITHOUT SP=On so the compare button is useless and I use it all the time!!!

If I could set my display profile to the same as SP profile then the compare button would work just fine.

This is a huge show-stopper for me and the reason I edit with SP=Off and only use SP when I need to because of highly saturated colours.

1 Like

I’m sure it will be obvious when you tell me - but, what’s “DCP” ?

John

Edit: Ignore my question, John - I see you have answered it above.

Yes, this needs to be addressed too - in refinements I am hoping will come in a future iteration of PLv6

John

Why is the “ICC profile used for display” option missing from the “Preferences/Common” options? (Windows only)

This information applies to version(s): 6

With the introduction of the new Wide Gamut color space in DxO PhotoLab 6, this option has been dropped. You can achieve the same result using the soft proofing tool, which is intended to replace the functionality of this option in an easier and more widely applicable way since it lets you choose a display profile directly from the palette.

It seems to me that they have not thought this through? This basically means that they recommend us to have soft-proofing on all the time?

2 Likes

Thanks, Greg - - I hadn’t seen the 2nd of those communications …

Becauseimage

Which begs the question; what display profile does PL presume when SP is NOT activated ?
– I’m guessing/assuming it gets that info from the OS
– In which case, it has all the info it needs to be able to apply the appropriate auto PSC-Algorithm
– Therefore, there’s no reason NOT to be applying the PSCA even if SP is not activated
– Then, if so, we’d go back to enjoying PLv5’s default WYS-is-always-WYG behaviour !

Problem solved:slightly_smiling_face:

John

Hi John, after a lot of playing & investigating …

As you already said, you can store the dcp-file on your system wherever you want

• which makes it difficult to comunicate about stuff related to this
    ( transmitting the raw-file + the dop-file + the dcp-profile to somebody else is one thing,
    while the recipient’s system expects the dcp-profile’s in it’s ‘origin’ but unknown location / path
    … and not knowing that location / path my PL6 crashed each time I tried. )

• after getting your ‘cleaned up’ dop-file, I could register (import) the dcp-profile myself
    and apply it to the raw-file

the raw-file with applied dcp-profile // the tiff-files show the difference

• the dcp-profile took care for the colour rendering
    – and replaced the colour rendering from the recognized camera (reading the exif-data)
    [ my system is set up to apply the DxO Standard preset to new files ]

Then I installed in PL5 the DxO lens module for your camera
Sony A6000 + Sony E 70-350mm → C67135a raw

Like this (w/o some presets) your file from PL5 should appear the same in PL6 Classic-Legacy.

Wolfgang

So you didn’t get a problem trasfering the imige fronm 5 to 6?

I can think of two reasons, not endorsing these reasons, but they might be in play.

1. the software overhead of squeezing those out of gamut colors into the display space may cause display to lag considerably, upping the power of machine needed to run DxO.
  2. It has been the case with other software, that when soft proofing is available, the normal editing mode is with it off and users are advised to turn it on if they are choosing a different destination color space from the working color space to check what colors are going to look different. (If that sounds complicated for the user, I think the whole idea of color management is complicated and soft proofing even more so, if you are exporting from a working color space larger than your display to a destination space larger than your display - at no point, other than “simulations or warning overlays” can you see what’s happening )
1 Like

I got quite a few unexpected things while trying out, but having properly erased the files from the active (!) PL version helped to ‘adjust / synchronize’ the database, so that I could start like ‘brandnew’ without the need to erase the database … So, finally the described procedure worked (in that order).

for demonstration purposes only !
Screen Shot 11-17-22 at 05.43 PM
the overlapping area between DxO’s lens correction and no lens correction (extracted with PS)

and my settings
grafik
but not for everybody

In PL6, I use softproof on a VC, which can be adjusted when needed – without touching my edits.

With a VC it’s easy to compare (also between different attempts !) – and convenient to export straight from the softproof copy with “Same as Softproofing”.

If I could set my display profile to the same as SP profile then the compare button would work just fine.

Well, I’ve tried that in sRGB and AdobeRGB mode, as screen + Eizo’s color navigator software allow to do so. But it doesn’t change anything. I get to see the very same rendition as without “SP”.

• Inspite of being calibrated to the very same sRGB and AdobeRGB colour space, the profiles for my screen are not the same as those display profiles one can softproof to, “PSCA” included.

And having set up my screen for printing, I do not want anything to interfer (by default), but invoke softproof as needed.

What I can think of - DxO should let the user decide, how to start by default.
That could include a viable option for those working exclusively in sRGB.

This is not the same. Even with a VC the before image when holding down the Compare button is the image with the screen profile and NOT the image with the SP profile: absolutely useless to me!

1 Like

Yes, I initially thought it might be a performance issue too - - but, in practice, having SP=ON doesn’t seem to have any impact at all on performance of display refresh (that I’ve ever noticed, at least).

Yes, that’s how I initially expected PLv6 to behave too … but, in practice;

Spot on … I identified 4 different scenarios for soft-proofing - as outlined here.

John M

Except when using an imported icc profile. Then you might also see a visual difference.

I’m total lost of what we’re investigating at this moment.

George