Changed behavior on 6.3: cropped image not automatically maximized after cropping

@John-M Hello John, it was not expected to be fixed in PL6.7, my apologies about this.

That’s fine, Cecile - - I did not construe from your note that any specific version would contain this fix … I’m sincerely hoping, tho, that it will be coming sometime very soon … It’s a real annoyance.

4 Likes

I’m not normally a betting man, but I would almost place a bet that it’s not going to happen anytime soon.

Mary

So - - there’s an opportunity for DxO to completely shock us all !!

• It would be a great little job to give to the work-experience kid.
3 Likes

Yes, I find this annoying as well.

As @platypus explained above, the s/w apparently remembers the zoom as a numeric value instead of ‘fit to window’.

Having experience with other s/w applications (not photo related) and zoom features, I didn’t think this would be hard to fix.

1 Like

John, this is ludicrous. Between major versions 4 an 5 or 5 and 6, okay. Just barely okay. Ideally the new .dop files would be as retroactively compatible as possible. I.e. new functionality would not be read by older versions but existing functionality would be read.

Between point releases 6.2 and 6.3, it’s just ridiculous and a kick in the crotch from lazy DxO developers. If DxO are seeking ways to make their photographers loathe the company, incompatibility between point releases is a good place to start.

That said, all the crowing about keeping the whole image visible when cropping and all the crying about it after the change illustrates just what a thankless job software development is.

To boot, this is a great illustration of the consequences of making the Mac and Windows versions of PhotoLab identical. Both sides are now miserable instead of just one.

2 Likes

It’s not included in recently released v6.8 either - - Quelle domage !

1 Like

Agree, BIG domage…

1 Like

Just sharing an update I got from support - I quote:-

“the developers are working on improving this feature along the lines you (we) require. They didn’t give a definite date for the update, but it’s likely to be released 'near the end of August”.

I have replied that it doesn’t need improving just reverting back to how it worked in 6.2
I live in hope

My current get round is latest v5 and use v6 at the end for best noise reduction and wide gamut only. I was running 6.2 to avoid the issue but got fed up of upgrade nagging. Of course, you have to update periodically to check if the issue has been fixed.

1 Like

The crop tool is one of the things I found to be nearly useless in PhotoLab.

For example the fact that the orientation of a crop is first based on the orientation of the image instead of what it actually says in the selection. Why give me a 9:16, even though I select 16:9 from the list?

Does anyone know how I can get a 16:9 crop from a photo in portrait format without first manually (using the custom crop option or typing in values which I don’t know why doesn’t always work) to change the crop so it has a landscape format and then selecting 16:9? And changing the orientation back… same steps. EDIT: see solution from @miloman below. (Drag a corner until it flips orientation)

And what’s the purpose of those big orientation buttons there, if they rotate the image? (which I guess is mostly done before cropping).

If I had to use it professionally and had to export images for web use (different crops and formats for responsive websites), I’d… use another tool for cropping. For my hobbyist use, it is adequate.

Yes, it’s disappointing that this didn’t get fixed asap… Thanks for reminding DxO again. I am also still on 6.2 on my main machine, since I don’t need the stuff that is implemented (and destroyed :wink:) after that version. #keeppushing

Maybe better to open a separate topic for your issue. With me the crop tool rotates when outside of the crop area (the cursor also indicates rotation function). When I grab a corner of the crop area, and move diagonally it wil switch portret/landscape (only when the switch is possible, eg the result fits). Hope this helps.

At first???.. then I tried it. Yes, that makes it very easy. I just hadn’t moved the mouse around (in the correct direction) enough before.

Thank you very much.

To avoid any off topic posting, is the main issue in this thread having to click the fit to view button or pressing F3 on the keyboard after cropping?

Basically yes.

In the previous versions (6.2 and before) fit to view was retained as a state, so as you switch images or crop ad adjust images, if you had previously clicked “fit to view” the view percentage would already change to fit whatever the current image was, regardless of if that image changed size or another image selected.

Now it seems certain behaviors make PL “forget” that you had clicked fit to view and at some point the zoom percentage becomes fixed. This is a big inconvenience as you have to click fit to view again often while editing many photos and is not intuitive at all.

Or hit F3 on the keyboard. I can understand that it can be annyoing when you have to click, depending on your mousepointer’s location. But I am having trouble understanding how it’s a problem having a single key shortcut with a key that’s easy to reach. (Unless you don’t have two usable hands and/or only use your mouse of course or for some reason your mouse and keyboard are too far apart)

It’s not about the difficulty in pressing the button. It’s about the fact that sometimes the fit button is actually fitting, and sometimes it isn’t. And if you get into a mode where you think the images is fitting and you’re viewing the whole image you can easily forget that it may not be the full image. And you can choose not to crop an image you should crop. Or you can bin an image because hands or feet are cut off when they aren’t.

It’s a terrible UI regression that was introduced 5 versions ago and not fixed yet.

Ah, ok. So sometimes F3 zooms to fit and sometimes it zooms to a higher level so you can’t see everything. Likely I haven’t used it often enough under the circumstances that make it happen. Thanks for explaining.

It’s a little more complicated than that, but the reality is I shouldn’t have to press F3 every time I switch pictures or complete a crop to have the fit to window function work.

It’s broken…

It’s been broken since 6.3, and we are still waiting for it to be fixed…

I don’t think so.
I use it extensively and it works.

It zooms to fit. The problem is depending on what happens after it becomes no longer zoom to fit and the zoom level is fixed at whatever zoom number it currently is.

This is what’s broken.
F3 “fixes” it until the next time it breaks.

1 Like